Stupid A/C may keep us from cruising!

luvmyboyz

We always take a cruise in the fall, and this year we may not be able to because our air conditioner decided to stop working and now we may have to spend that $2500 we otherwise would have used to cruise on a new A/C. :mad: I'm so disappointed! A friend of my husband's coworker is going to check out our A/C and see if it just needs a simple fix or something - please keep your fingers crossed for me that we don't have to use our cruise money on a new A/C!!!!

BTW, I would totally suffer a hot summer in order to go on our annual fall cruise, but hubby is already complaining that he is too hot and it's only May. And then of course there's my asthmatic son who can't sleep in the heat. Geez. Can't they just suck it up? :p

Get some fans. Unless they are prohibited in your house.

We have a ton of fans - apparently not good enough for hubby. And he thinks the window units look ugly in the front of the house, and of course, that's where the bedroom windows are. So unfair.

We always take a cruise in the fall, and this year we may not be able to because our air conditioner decided to stop working and now we may have to spend that $2500 we otherwise would have used to cruise on a new A/C. :mad: I'm so disappointed! A friend of my husband's coworker is going to check out our A/C and see if it just needs a simple fix or something - please keep your fingers crossed for me that we don't have to use our cruise money on a new A/C!!!!

BTW, I would totally suffer a hot summer in order to go on our annual fall cruise, but hubby is already complaining that he is too hot and it's only May. And then of course there's my asthmatic son who can't sleep in the heat. Geez. Can't they just suck it up? :p

I totally feel ya. We put off the cruise to put new windows in. Soooo not fun. Hope you have a minor issue that a little money can be thrown at to make it go away.

If you have a home warranty check to see if the A/C is covered. Our AC went out last summer but it was covered by the warrant. We only had to pay about $100 out of pocket for a new one!

I feel for you and I hope it's just something minor but I personally wouldn't go without AC to take a cruise; especially with kids in the house. If you have to miss this year, get your AC fixed and book one for next year as soon as you can! And spend a lot of time on CC...we are each other's support group! ;)

Hang in there!

Fingers crossed for you...our AC had stopped working 2x since renting here...both times out landlords were told they needed to replace the system by one company...but when their regular guy came out he fixed it. The only reason they had the first company come out is the regular couldn't make it out same day and they didn't want us to have to go without...but I told them we'd survive until the "good" guy could come out. So here's hoping it's fixable!!!

I'm just gonna be a total lemon on you guys.

I've written this and erased it several times, but my God lets get perspective.

Air Conditioning where you live is indeed important, especially with an asthmatic child. Home maintainence is way more important than sailing.

There are second jobs that can be fun, why not look at that?

We cannot afford to cruise this year because we needed to pay for a funeral for my nephew who commited suicide. Perspective.....

Count your blessings.

Carole

Our original 1980's Central Air unit went out last year and our quote was in the mid 2000.00 as well. I contacted our local Carrier manufacturer and got a "scratch and dent" unit for $600 !!! This was an expensive unit and all that is wrong with it is a few dings. It sits outside anyway so I really didn't care. We had a friend install it so we saved even more money there. You may have to go right to the manufacturer not a dealer in this case. We had to go pick the unit up as well. Perhaps you could call around and see if this would be an option for you.

Good luck to you.

Air Conditioning where you live is indeed important, especially with an asthmatic child. Home maintainence is way more important than sailing.

We cannot afford to cruise this year because we needed to pay for a funeral for my nephew who commited suicide. Perspective.....

Count your blessings.

Carole

I am sorry for your loss....sending prayers:) while reading the OP, i took it as a jest. I don't think any mom would let their kids suffer for months to have fun for a week.

Count your blessings.

Carole

You have my condolences. Sometimes we definitely need reminders of the important things in life. (I include myself in that.)

Get some fans. Unless they are prohibited in your house.

OMG!! LMAO! :D

You totally contribute to my addiction, you enabler, you. :p

OP:

My heart goes out to you. I hate unexpected breakdowns of major appliances and cars. :(

I feel your pain...we've had to replace 2 AC units in the last 2 years (dual system)...EXPENSIVE! And no...in Virginia, fans just don't cut it when the humidity is 90%!

Definitely! It can get sticky in VA..fans ain't going to cut it!

I am sorry for your loss....sending prayers:) while reading the OP, i took it as a jest. I don't think any mom would let their kids suffer for months to have fun for a week.

Thank you. Of COURSE I was joking when I said my child should suck it up. Obviously I wouldn't risk my child having an asthma attack so I can go on vacation. My disappointment in possibly not being able to cruise this year is very real, however. :(

I, too, am very sorry for the loss of your nephew.

Thank you. Of COURSE I was joking when I said my child should suck it up. Obviously I wouldn't risk my child having an asthma attack so I can go on vacation. My disappointment in possibly not being able to cruise this year is very real, however. :(

I, too, am very sorry for the loss of your nephew.

I knew you were joking also. I get where you're coming from. I hate when you're looking forward to something and life throws you a curve ball.

FWIW, I'd fix the air. My family wouldn't be able to stand life at home with me totally cranky because my house is hot. No cruise could make up for that unless it lasted all summer.:D

Even more reasonable....move to a cooler climate.....

Check out Thompson Manitoba Canada.... you will not need an air conditioner... AND you will really appreciate your warm climate cruises even more....

Count your blessings.

Carole

Sorry for your loss. I am sure everyone was just kidding around....

That's too bad. I guess in your case a working A/C is as important as heat would be to me in the cold winter months. I wish you luck.

We have a ton of fans - apparently not good enough for hubby. And he thinks the window units look ugly in the front of the house, and of course, that's where the bedroom windows are. So unfair.

You could look at these:

dc108a29-b3fd-4370-96d6-5dbf187dc5ca_300.jpg

It sits in the room and only has a hose going to the window to vent the hot air. They work really well, my niece has one for her room. Home Depot has them. About $300 and up.

Well I am an AC installer for one of the largest HVAC companys on the east coast, we are starting to get VERY busy right now so I am just counting down the days till I am on the Pride. The worst part about this job is that as soon as your AC comes back on that is when we leave! I see people every day that have their system go up unexpectedly and then dealing with that expense. It sucks. I could not live without AC!!!

We lived without central air for about 4 years after our unit went out and about 2 years with no AC in the van when a hose broke. It's hot but liveable with window units or fans. When I was growing up we didn't have Ac in the house or the cars and we all managed. Amazing how spoiled we get to something. Anyways turned out the problem with ours was the wire that went from the switch inside to the unit outside. Replaced that wire and had it recharged and it's good as new. Hope yours is a cheap fix too.

Archived