Stupid A/C may keep us from cruising!

luvmyboyz

Even more reasonable....move to a cooler climate.....

Check out Thompson Manitoba Canada.... you will not need an air conditioner... AND you will really appreciate your warm climate cruises

Hey Winnipeg - greetings from Thunder Bay - I was going to suggest the same thing - I have not used our AC in 3 years - not that it doesn't get warm and muggy but fans suffice for us and we suck it up and endure the hot weather while we can as it is a damn long winter up here. Our saying here is "we have 8 months of winter and 4 months of damn poor sledding" I would do without AC if it meant no more MOSQUITOS. Poster - I sure hope it is just a quick fix for you and not a replacement.

Hey guys thanks for your kind words, I was not saying she wasn't joking, nor was I looking for sympathy.

Just saying let's look at things in perspective and count our blessings cause it can always be worse.

We are very lucky we frequent the "ghetto" cruises and can get incredible rates sometimes.

A fun part time job could allow a cruise fund and the kids wouldn't die if they were pulled out of school for a few days combined with a "teachers day" or whatever they are callign them now days.

Being serious and stating you need to take care of the house and family before you think of cruises, they are a luxury, however there are ways....... always ways.

We replaced our A/C unit a few months ago but we didn't get off with $2500. Ours was $8200.:eek: We got a signature loan and making payments on it. Going on a cruise this weekend, another in October and Hawaii cruised booked for summer of 2011. I got my priorities.:D:D

We replaced our A/C unit a few months ago but we didn't get off with $2500. Ours was $8200.:eek: We got a signature loan and making payments on it. Going on a cruise this weekend, another in October and Hawaii cruised booked for summer of 2011. I got my priorities.:D:D

Note to self - move our company to Arizona

OP - what is wrong with the unit??

I feel your pain...we've had to replace 2 AC units in the last 2 years (dual system)...EXPENSIVE! And no...in Virginia, fans just don't cut it when the humidity is 90%!

We have 3 units and I know at least one of them is on its last legs. :( Live in Texas, no way we can do without AC. When I was a little girl, we lived in a house with no AC. That was the most miserable summer I've ever lived through.

I see you live in Arizona. My husband and I decided to go to Scotsdale in June (first week of) one year to stay at the lovely Boulders resort. We came out of the airport and got blasted in the face with 109 degree air. I thought I was going to keel over, and I'm used to hot summers. That was ridiculous! I heard it can get up to 120 degrees out there in August. How is that compatible with life?!

I see you live in Arizona. My husband and I decided to go to Scotsdale in June (first week of) one year to stay at the lovely Boulders resort. We came out of the airport and got blasted in the face with 109 degree air. I thought I was going to keel over, and I'm used to hot summers. That was ridiculous! I heard it can get up to 120 degrees out there in August. How is that compatible with life?!

I was born in Arizona and as they say "it's a dry heat" :D We deal with it. Don't let the TV and radio stations fool you about the temp either. They have said "we reached a high today of 103 degrees" and I look at my outdoor thermo in the shade and its says 117. Yeah right. Many times it has been too hot to register. The red mark is topped out on the manual thermometer and the digital one is blank. haha

But I do love Arizona.

Anyway I have a 5 ton 16 seer unit and they also did some new ductwork. $8200 was a good deal compared to what some of the other companies were quoting. We had quotes in the neighborhood of $12K.

We replaced the AC about 2 years ago...this year was the heating unit.

But one has to expect that from a 30 year old house..... thank goodness it is paid for!!

For you Kurby I can do 2 for that price (you supply the beer though :eek:)

Yikes 2:confused: I don't live far from Arizona....hows about I advertise and you can send me the quotes........with those prices beer and travel time would be chump change:D

Just back from taking my youngest son to the doctor.Now I have doctor's orders to NOT open the windows but run the air instead.Usually don't have to turn the air on till June but it is on now.

Husband and siblings have a place in Canada on Rainy Lake.We usually go up every other summer.The cabins are on an island so we use solar and a generator,no air conditioning.Most times it is perfect but we have had a few trips where we thought we were going to roast alive. One trip all we could do was sit in the lake and there was no relief at night.90 some degrees,husband was delirious,I had a nasty headache but funny I don't remember the kids complaining. I grew up without air conditioning but have since been spoiled.

I'm just gonna be a total lemon on you guys.

I've written this and erased it several times, but my God lets get perspective.

Air Conditioning where you live is indeed important, especially with an asthmatic child. Home maintainence is way more important than sailing.

There are second jobs that can be fun, why not look at that?

We cannot afford to cruise this year because we needed to pay for a funeral for my nephew who commited suicide. Perspective.....

Count your blessings.

Carole

I'm so sorry for your loss. Nothing is worse than losing a beloved family member.

To the OP.....I think we all knew you were speaking in jest, however, your disappointment is very real--and we all understand that too. We had to cancel a cruise when our daughter announced her engagement. There just wasn't any money for a cruise when a wedding was in the works. I was soooooo disappointed, but DH and I did manage to run away to Key West for a few days after the wedding--our reward for surviving it all....;) Hey, if it turns out you can manage the new A/C AND a cruise, I hope you'll end up on the Pride with us! We'll toast your good fortune....:):D

Karen

I was starting to think we got taken, last summer ours went out in the middle of June, 98f outside 112f inside, emergency call to install new lenox $7700, will be paying GEMB for years on that one

.money.gif

dolphins.gif

I totally feel ya. We put off the cruise to put new windows in. Soooo not fun. Hope you have a minor issue that a little money can be thrown at to make it go away.

Oh shush you bought a mr. turtle pool too. :p

when we bought our home we knew the ac needed to be replaced....thank goodness for friends.....he owns his own ac company, bought the unit for us at cost and charged us 100 bucks to install it and repair some duct work, came in at just under 3000. I hope his business does well and he does ac work for many many years:D

The guy comes Friday to replace our unit. Until your post I was thinking we had really got taken by the company we chose. $8000 is what we are paying AFTER the $1000 rebate from the company. We will get a tax credit of $1500 next tax season so that helps a little. When I said to my husband "there goes the Panama Canel" he said "No - two separate issues" LOL. Anyone have a money tree I can come shake????

I didn't even get to take advantage of the tax rebate. They said I would have if I had gone with a smaller unit but the 5 tons didn't qualify. I checked with several companies & confirmed online. GO figure. I bought an efficient unit, much better than what I had and I don't get the tax credit. A crock of s___ if you ask me. Old unit was split system, 5 ton 12 seer that is 10 years old. Still running but very inefficient and noisy. New system is 5 ton 16 seer Trane and no tax credit.

Mine is a gas pack unit so it is a/c and heater combined. I had a split system that needed to be changed to single unit outside. My heater and blower fan was inside so year round was very noisy inside. With my open floor plan, I couldn't even hear the tv cuz it was so loud. I put up with that for 10 years and finally bought a new unit that is all outside. So quiet inside now I can hear a mouse. I love it. Well worth the money paid just to get rid of the noise.

We always take a cruise in the fall, and this year we may not be able to because our air conditioner decided to stop working and now we may have to spend that $2500 we otherwise would have used to cruise on a new A/C. :mad: I'm so disappointed! A friend of my husband's coworker is going to check out our A/C and see if it just needs a simple fix or something - please keep your fingers crossed for me that we don't have to use our cruise money on a new A/C!!!!

BTW, I would totally suffer a hot summer in order to go on our annual fall cruise, but hubby is already complaining that he is too hot and it's only May. And then of course there's my asthmatic son who can't sleep in the heat. Geez. Can't they just suck it up? :p

I wish I only had to spend $2500! I need the whole kit and kaboodle. Mine is going to run about $4000. but i'll still go cruising. I'll sell my kids if I have to! :eek::D;)

I didn't even get to take advantage of the tax rebate. They said I would have if I had gone with a smaller unit but the 5 tons didn't qualify. I checked with several companies & confirmed online. GO figure. I bought an efficient unit, much better than what I had and I don't get the tax credit. A crock of s___ if you ask me. Old unit was split system, 5 ton 12 seer that is 10 years old. Still running but very inefficient and noisy. New system is 5 ton 16 seer Trane and no tax credit.

Mine is a gas pack unit so it is a/c and heater combined. I had a split system that needed to be changed to single unit outside. My heater and blower fan was inside so year round was very noisy inside. With my open floor plan, I couldn't even hear the tv cuz it was so loud. I put up with that for 10 years and finally bought a new unit that is all outside. So quiet inside now I can hear a mouse. I love it. Well worth the money paid just to get rid of the noise.

Wow, you really know your AC lingo!:eek:

I guess I'm really old fashioned. (or cheap) I have a few window units that I rarely put on, except in the bedroom on summer nights; once in a while in the kitchen or living room. During the day, if I am hot, I just go in the pool. Everyone in my family does the same. I can't even imagine how uncomfortable it would be to walk into an air conditioned house after getting out of the pool. Brrrr.

I guess I'm really old fashioned. (or cheap) I have a few window units that I rarely put on, except in the bedroom on summer nights; once in a while in the kitchen or living room. During the day, if I am hot, I just go in the pool. Everyone in my family does the same. I can't even imagine how uncomfortable it would be to walk into an air conditioned house after getting out of the pool. Brrrr.

That wouldn't work in Arizona.:D Poor things would be so overworked. My old system in the summer would run for 20 minutes and shut off for about 4 minutes then run again for another 20 minutes.

Archived