Athens disembarcation / flight time

suec12

Our cruise will end in Athens - we dock the previous day - I am considering a 10:15 am flight out of Athens - so I am thinking we leave the ship around 7am? - is this doable? wise? - not sure we want to pack up and then spend a night in a hotel for flight out the next day. How long, by taxi, to the airport early in the morning? I've heard the Athens airport is nice and not too hectic (like Rome!) I'm thinking a 2 hour check-in will be adequate.

You are certainly pushing the envelope here. The Airport is Approx 75 miles from Athens. Assumming you depart promptly at 7:00 which is not always the case, you leave with your luggage in hand and get right to a Taxi say 7:30 its more than 1 hour (unless traffic is very light) Arrive by 9:00 AM that only leaves 1 1/2 hours for an International flight that might not be enough. If you are flying 1st or Business Class you might get through the check in line faster, but coach could be a problem. If you get stuck there, its an expensive trip back to Athens, and back to the Airport the next day. Why not a an overnight in Athens. Take in some of the Ruins that day. There are some very nice 3 and 4 star Hotels very near the Acropolis, that are not that expensive, plus some great Rests as well. No Stress this way. Your choice;)

The airport is actually about 50 kms or 31 miles from Piraeus, but in heavy traffic, an hour isn't an unreasonable time to allow.

We had a very early morning flight, but left from a hotel in downtown Athens. 2 hours at the airport was sufficient.

DebsUK mentions an early departure from Quest in Athens recently ... have a look at the new thread she posted today.

I agree that an overnight in Athens is well worth it, esp. if you haven't already been there. We liked Athens so much on our first cruise that we stayed for 3 days post cruise on the second visit... although I would have a harder time now making a decision to stay there for a post cruise stay, at least until things settle down a bit.

Piraeus is west of Athens with the airport to the southeast of the city. It is not 75 miles from Athens to the airport, but you will have to go through (or around) Athens to get there. Since you are already docked (arriving the day before, as you noted) there should be no problem making the flight, but you should leave the ship earlier.

You should check out the Ports of Call boards for Europe/Greece to get the name of a reputable car service. I would not rely on a ship side taxi. The service would also know what time you should leave the ship.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

I don't think you are allowing yourself enough time.

We have flown out of Athens several times and I just think you are cutting it too close

You haven't factored in the what ifs

The traffic is really horrific at times, The striking is becoming more and more prevalant.

The security at the airport was 3 checkpoints and depending who you are flying on there is usually just one q for all of the airlines flights.

Personally, I would leave at 6am

I got off Quest in Athens this past Monday. Despite docking at 5.30 am, disembarkation didn't start until 8 am. The last group of was 9.30 am. There are busses transporting guests from the ship to the cruise terminal. There you collect your luggage. If you then take a taxi (readily available), it takes another 45 minutes (with no traffic!) to get to the airport. I wouldn't count on being at the airport before 9.30 am / 10.00 am, and wouldn't book a flight before 11.00 am / 11.30 am.

Best Regards,

Floris

I got off Quest in Athens this past Monday. Despite docking at 5.30 am, disembarkation didn't start until 8 am.

The OP will be docking a day ahead in Athens, so with special permission may be able to disembark earlier than scheduled times, as another poster here just did. When we disembarked in Venice on Celebrity, another couple left the ship at 4:30 a.m. to catch an early flight (with advance permission, and carrying their own luggage off.)

Athens was very nice when we disembarked the Oceania Nautica in October, 2008, just before the problems began. Now with the new economic situation and strikes, etc., does anyone know whether things have changed in the last year and a half?

Hi Meow,

There are a couple of current threads with updates on the situation on the Greece Ports of Call Forum. One thread has requested updates from recent cruisers.

Sadly, the situation is getting worse with violence resulting in deaths today. Greece was pretty much shut down today due to the 24 hour nationwide strike.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/06/world/europe/06greece.html?src=mv

p.s. October 2008 was when we disembarked from our Quest cruise in Athens, and spent 3 wonderful days there. It's distressing to see what is going on there now.

p.s. October 2008 was when we disembarked from our Quest cruise in Athens, and spent 3 wonderful days there. It's distressing to see what is going on there now.

So did we http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=869685 As cats, we wish the people are now as peaceful as the friendly dogs in Athens, many of them quietly lay on the streets sleeping and never chased after us cats .. meow!

• 2 weeks later...

I am scheduled for an 11:15 flight when we go in Novemeber. Is that cuttting it to close? We will be on the Pacific Princess. I do not know if the smaller ship Disembarks quicker.

Thanks for the help.

Archived