OMG too many people left behind

I find it funny that somebody states they find the Med a place to avoid, directly related to the weather of the Med and correlated safety issues. The Med is a very safe place to set sail.

I live in the Florida Keys and deal with the ocean's surprises daily. Yesterday, for example, it was hot, bright, and sunny. A dark storm cloud seemingly formed out of nowhere and suddenly it was blowing 30 mph winds and sideways rain. Ten minutes later, it was hot, bright, and sunny again. Rain was not even in the forecast yesterday.

So to support your position, no, people should not avoid the Med. due to weather. If weather is a concern, they should avoid the seas all together.

My husband & I were also on the Brilliance on May 4th in Villefranche. It was an adventure to say the least! We arrived back at the tender point at around 3 pm after doing our own tour, only to be told they were waiting for winds to die down before resuming tenders out to the ship. They provided chicken broth to those of us waiting on the dock as we watched huge waves crash against the shore and sink boats. We finally moved inside the port terminal to wait it out. They eventually closed the doors preventing any more from coming inside, citing fire regulations and maximum number of people already being in the building. We saw a lot of people outside, but we were afraid to go out there, in case we lost our place in line for tenders when they started. They did not provide much information to us, other than to say announcements would be coming. I guess at this time, they were trying to arrange alternate transportation to the port of Toulon. They did finally tell us we would eventually be bussed 3 hours away to meet the ship, and that we could go to one of the restaurants mentioned by Nancy and spend up to ten euros on a meal and that amount would be covered by RCI. But of course, the restaurants were overwhelmed by the crowds and we waited a long time for a meal. It was a nice evening and a beautiful view, so it wasn't a terrible thing, just a frustrating situation to be tangled in. We did fianlly make it back to the ship at 1 am, with the last passengers getting back at around 4 am, after which we left for Livorno. We arrived late there (around 2 pm instead of 7 am), and had to cut our excursion that day short. We spoke with RCI on the whole situation, and their reply was that they did what they had to do for the safety of the passengers, and got everyone back on board, but that was it. It seemed that RCI wanted us to feel as if they had rescued us, and we should be so thankful to them, but we and many others really believe some sort of compensation should have been given for the whole situation, but none came, even when asked about it.

We did fianlly make it back to the ship at 1 am, with the last passengers getting back at around 4 am, after which we left for Livorno. We arrived late there (around 2 pm instead of 7 am), and had to cut our excursion that day short. We spoke with RCI on the whole situation, and their reply was that they did what they had to do for the safety of the passengers, and got everyone back on board, but that was it. It seemed that RCI wanted us to feel as if they had rescued us, and we should be so thankful to them, but we and many others really believe some sort of compensation should have been given for the whole situation, but none came, even when asked about it.

Ugh, what an experience, sunloverz! I was on this cruise a couple of years ago, and Florence/Pisa were major highlights. To have had the day cut in half would have been a real disappointment, and while I am not usually a "compensation-cheerleader" I do agree that RCI should have recognized that many lost a big portion of what may have been a vacation of a lifetime.

I do appreciate that safety is first, but somehow it seems RCI could have been a little more understanding.

There you go someone understood the situation, I still maintain that if a ship sails without the passengers, then those passengers have been "left behind"

ChipLondon....you are CORRECT!!! My c-worker just returned from this cruise. They were told as they returned to the tender site after their shore excursions ....that the ship had to leave. It was raining and cold and 1800 pax were left behind. Bused two hour away to another port.....stood around without food or water for HOURS!!!! My co-worker did not get back on the ship...after being bused to another port until after 11:00pm. The last "left behind" pax did not get aboard until 3:30am. The ship was late to the next post and their 3 hour shore excursion was cut to 1 hour:mad:

hi to all-- the Med is supposed to be a calm place to sail,, so is HAWAII..
but the weather does not always so say. On our X-mas family cruise on NCL around the islands,...at one port we were docked on the big island the cables broke from all the wind, the Pride of America sailed out to calmer area without alot of passengers...& crew, but they got to stay in a really nice hotel for the nite until we picked them up the next day.... I think they were the lucky ones!!We missed Kona port stop
We h ave been to HI like 8 times and never experienced bad weather...
all in all it was a great trip.... the whole family was together...
what more could you want????:D

donnakg

Archived