Allowed to take wine/champagne on board?

With all of these threads on people smuggling alcohol on board, I just want to check on something--is it true every guest can bring one bottle of wine or champagne on board w/o it being confiscated?

aba-so-lutell-eee...you are right wine-breath.

Not sure how things work on Carnival, but I believe most ships will hold the bottle in the dining room, and charge you a $10-15 "corkage fee". That's enough to make me wonder if bringing my own is really worth it.

Not sure how things work on Carnival, but I believe most ships will hold the bottle in the dining room, and charge you a $10-15 "corkage fee". That's enough to make me wonder if bringing my own is really worth it.

Not on Carnival, you can take the bottles to your cabin. I have never been charged a "corkage fee". I believe it is up to the head server and MD as to if it is actually charged.

Last cruise, I took one of those 2 liter size bottles of wine in my carryon, and my bag was inspected, but they didnt take it away. I got it at the CVS store near my hotel, and the deal was soooooo good, too good to be true for a Canadian. 6.50 for that big bottle of wine, so I took a chance. I wont do it again though. If they took it away only to return it the last day, I couldnt take it back home, since I fly back home day of disembarkation. From now on, I go by the rules.:D But yes, you can take one bottle 750ml. Have a great cruise.:)

If you bring on board (legally) the 750 ml bottle of champagne will the maitre d' (head waiter?) keep the bottle chilled for us and simply present it when requested in the MDR? Or am I responsible for keeping it chilled, toting it to dinner and then having them open it there for whatever corkage fee applies?

Every guest over the age of 21 is allowed to bring on 1 750 ml bottle of wine on the day of embarkation.

I was just wondering where the "750 ml" comes from? Reading the Ticket Contract there is no such mention. In fact, it is clearly ambiguous so long as it is a bottle - which I guess technically excludes a box-o-wine. Has anyone been questioned or refused a 1.5L Magnum?

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_84

8. COMPLIANCE WITH RULES, SOLICITATION, SMOKING, DRINKING, ILLEGAL ACTIVITY, SEARCHES

(f) Except as noted below, Guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on Carnival’s vessels for on board consumption. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board only in their carry on luggage. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should guests wish to consume this wine/champagne in the dining room, or a $14 corkage fee per bottle if consumed in the steakhouse. All alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne and excessive non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel’s gift shops or at a port of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage. Carnival reserves the right to refuse to serve alcohol to any passenger. Guest acknowledges that the minimum age permitted for the purchase, possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages aboard Carnival’s vessels is twenty-one (21). Guest agrees to supervise all persons under age twenty-one (21) under Guest’s charge to insure that they do not violate this, or any other, shipboard regulation. Guests who attempt to purchase alcohol by using false identification or the Sail & Sign card of a Guest who is twenty-one or older will be deemed in violation of this policy. Any Guest twenty-one or older who attempts to or purchases alcohol for any guest under twenty-one will also be deemed in violation of this policy. Guest agrees that Carnival has the right to disembark any guest who violates this policy and as well as any adults traveling with minors who violate this policy or any other shipboard regulation.

I was just wondering where the "750 ml" comes from? Reading the Ticket Contract there is no such mention. In fact, it is clearly ambiguous so long as it is a bottle - which I guess technically excludes a box-o-wine. Has anyone been questioned or refused a 1.5L Magnum?

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_84

8. COMPLIANCE WITH RULES, SOLICITATION, SMOKING, DRINKING, ILLEGAL ACTIVITY, SEARCHES

(f) Except as noted below, Guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on Carnival’s vessels for on board consumption. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board only in their carry on luggage.

That just hasnt been updated in awhile, it also doesnt include the new policy of 12 pack of NA drinks

This is the policy

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faqs/default.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_88#q-52

What is the Liquor and Beverage Policy? A liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board.

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation Day:

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the steakhouse. (A corkage fee is a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of liquor served that was not bought on the premises)

On embarkation day, guests may bring a small quantity (package of 12 per person) of non-alcoholic beverages onboard, only in their carry-on luggage.

All alcohol/hard liquor/beer (sealed, unopened bottles/cans), wine/champagne over the allowable 1-bottle per guest (sealed, unopened bottles) or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages (over 12 per person, sealed, unopened bottles/cans) will be confiscated and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be delivered to the guest’s stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Unsealed liquids that are prohibited will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.

DH and I are planning to bring 2 bottles of wine in our carry on, as permitted by Carnival. I also will bring my travel corkscrew, and I think I read that there will be wine glasses in our cabin. That baby will be uncorked and poured before we leave the cabin for dinner--no corkage fee. I also want to know if they will store the opened bottle in the galley of the MDR for the following night.

Karen

DH and I are planning to bring 2 bottles of wine in our carry on, as permitted by Carnival. I also will bring my travel corkscrew, and I think I read that there will be wine glasses in our cabin. That baby will be uncorked and poured before we leave the cabin for dinner--no corkage fee. I also want to know if they will store the opened bottle in the galley of the MDR for the following night.

Karen

You do realize, that they can still charge the corkage fee, it has nothing to do with them uncorking the bottle, but all to do with you bringing your own wine bottle into the dining room. With that said, the only time I have ever been charged the fee, was in the Steakhouse.

Yes, they will store your bottle.

That just hasnt been updated in awhile, it also doesnt include the new policy of 12 pack of NA drinks

Thanks, I see it now. I guess the lawyer in me wonders how the "policy" supersedes the "Ticket Contract". When I enter into the agreement with the carrier, it is based on the contract, not some policy they create later. In my cruise docs it does indeed list 750ml in the FAQs front section, but the contract has not been updated. We'll see how it goes.

• 1 month later...

I wish to bring one bottle of wine...legally...in my carry-on. I would also like to bring a travel corkscrew. The wine will be consumed in our cabin only. I will probably put the corkscrew in my carry-on as well. They won't confiscate it will they? Also, since we plan to drink the wine in our cabin and nowhere else I am assuming there will not be any corkage fee. I am a by-the-book person and if they will confiscate the corkscrew then I will nix the wine. Please help with your answer...Thank you.

Okay, I should have read further down the list. I found the answer to my question. Thanks again.

Last cruise, I took one of those 2 liter size bottles of wine in my carryon, and my bag was inspected, but they didnt take it away. I got it at the CVS store near my hotel, and the deal was soooooo good, too good to be true for a Canadian. 6.50 for that big bottle of wine, so I took a chance. I wont do it again though. If they took it away only to return it the last day, I couldnt take it back home, since I fly back home day of disembarkation. From now on, I go by the rules.:D But yes, you can take one bottle 750ml. Have a great cruise.:)

just curious as to why you couldn't bring the wine back home? Too heavy in your luggage? Or did you have other liquor you purchased and this would put you over the limit?

Karen

There are no wine glasses in your cabin - but you can ask your room steward to get you some - or even order them from room service. The corkage fee applies if you bring your bottle to the dining room or steakhouse (the charge is not only for the opening but for the 'pouring' and use of the glasses)- if you decant a glass of wine and bring it with you to dinner or wherever there should be no problem.

if they did take it away (wine) you would be able to take it home in your checked luggage just wrap it up in some clothes, clean or dirty lol thats how we buy liquor in different ports !

Archived