Help with Barcelona

ppfqp

We will be in Barcelona for a port visit in July on the Navigator. I would really appreciate any help or suggestions in planning our itinerary for that day. We are in port 10am - 10pm.

1) We plan to first head to Montjuic. I see that there is a tramway and I think that would be a fun way to travel there. Does anyone have any details of how we use that transportation?

2) What are the highlights of Montjuic? We're interested in the Poble Espanyol. Is there anything else we should not miss? About how long should we plan to spend?

3) The only timed item on our itinerary is a 3pm tour with Barcelona Segway Glides. We are supposed to meet at Sant Jaume Square. What is the best mode of transportation from Montjuic to this location, and about how long will it take to get there?

4) The tour should conclude at 5:30 or 6:00 pm. What should we do for the evening? Will it be too early for tapas?

5) What about the Magic Fountains at Montjuic? I can't tell for sure, but I don't think the shows start until 9pm, and I think that is too late for us because we'll need to be back on board.

Thanks for any info! We'd welcome any other suggestions of what we should see or do.

I would only go up to the top of Montjuic if the things up there interest you. There's the "castle" which is really a fort right there. Further along the mountain is the Miro Museum which is great but may not interest you. The Poble Espanyol is on the end of the mt. furthest from the fort. I agree that the Magic Fountain will be too late for you.

Are you traveling with children or is it just adults??

Bus #50 will take you from the Poble Espanyol area back along Gran Via to right near Placa Catalunya, from where you can walk to the spot for your tour. I don't know where the tour is taking you so I cannot suggest other ideas.

It would be good if you looked at a map of Barcelona so you could get a picture of the city in your mind. You can either see maps by putting these place names into Google or you can buy a small guide book.

I agree with the previous poster. Whenever I go to Barcelona, I head for the Miro Museum (it's one of my two favorites in the city; the other being the City Historical Museum proving that I have odd tastes).

However, if I were giving a first time visitor a suggested itinerary, heading to the mountain wold not be on my 1-day to-do list.

We will be arriving in Barcelona 2 days Pre Cruise, Oct 26, 2011, so doubt we will do any sight seeing until the 27th thru 28th. This will be our first visit, and already have a huge Roll Call. Any recommendations for things to see during our 2 days pre cruise, thank you.

We are also spending two days pre-cruise in July and have an additional day mid cruise in Barcelona as we are doing a B2B. Our plan is to see:

Cathedral of Barcelona (and several other nearby churches and plazas),

City History Museum,

Picasso Museum,

Santa Maria del Mar,

Sagrada Familia (we are still debating on whether we will pony up the 14 euros a piece to go inside),

Block of Discord,

Rambla Street,

Boqueria Market,

Palau Guell,

Maritime Museum,

and Park Guell

Kirk

I would only go up to the top of Montjuic if the things up there interest you. There's the "castle" which is really a fort right there. Further along the mountain is the Miro Museum which is great but may not interest you. The Poble Espanyol is on the end of the mt. furthest from the fort. I agree that the Magic Fountain will be too late for you.

Are you traveling with children or is it just adults??

Bus #50 will take you from the Poble Espanyol area back along Gran Via to right near Placa Catalunya, from where you can walk to the spot for your tour. I don't know where the tour is taking you so I cannot suggest other ideas.

It would be good if you looked at a map of Barcelona so you could get a picture of the city in your mind. You can either see maps by putting these place names into Google or you can buy a small guide book.

Thanks for the helpful feedback. We're traveling with two teenagers. They are not overly interested in seeing architecture, except maybe as a drive-by or part of a tour. They did seem interested in the villages and crafts at Poble Espanyol, but maybe we are misinterpreting what it is. I know they'd enjoy the cable car ride. They would be okay with some museum time, but we will just have come from 2 weeks in Rome, so I think they will be museum-ed and church-ed out. We're looking for a way to get a taste of Spanish history/culture in a fun setting.

For the Segway tour we meet at Sant Jaume Square. I don't know the exact route, but the tour description is, "During our tour around Barcelona we will see and learn about the Roman Barcelona, the small streets of the Gothic quarter, the old harbour, the Columbus statue, the royal shipyards, the Ramblas, the Barceloneta, the born quarter, the beach and the Olympic harbour. "

So thanks for any further suggestions. I'd love any clarification on what there is to do at Montjuic or suggested activities for teens.

Thanks!

I would ask yourself "What are you going to be seeing at your other ports of call?" and then wonder if you want to see more of that or something different.

Barcelona Architecture is like none other in the world, so I would keep that in mind.

Look at the inside of the Palau de la Musica Catalana http://bobmastersphotography.com/en/showpanorama/360&deg%3BVR+Panoramas/122/Palau+de+la+Musica+Catalana,+Barcelona.+Client:+Generalitat+de+Catalunya

Also up at Montjuic there is Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya (MNAC): Located in the imposing Palau Nacional on the northern edge of Montjuïc, this museum overlooks the Font Màgica and is arguably one of the greatest repositories of Romanesque religious works in the world. Many of the icons and frescoes have been moved here from tiny churches high up in the Pyrénées where replicas now fill the spaces they originally occupied. Gothic styles are also well represented, and more recently there have been moderniste additions -- many taken from the Manzana de la Discordia.

(Thank you Frommers)

OK so trying to see Barcelona through a teenager's eyes(not knowing the teen as all are different):

Parc Guell

Nou Camp(soccer stadium)

La Pedrera(Gaudi building with a roof they will love!)

las Ramblas with its tacky street vendors,human statues,

visit some chocolate/pastry stores

I would have the teens do their own research for this cruise.

In my opinion most teens don't want to do things just because it is their parents that suggested them .IF they find something on their own they are more likely to be enthusiastic about the activity. Why don't you give each member of your family a cruise port and let that person plan the day?

LOL I think if you ask our kids what they thought of a lot of our stops on our cruise they would say a LOT of wasted time in a van looking at ruins and rocks. They really like the pool, meals and all the cable movies in the cabin and the guitar hero rock on MUTs. I only wished when I was young my parents had the opportunity to ignore our wishes but I wasn't so unlucky ;)

Only one of my 3 did a quick tour of the Gaudi sights with us. The other two enjoyed the free internet at our Hotel after the exhausting 12 days on the ship. I have the vacation pictures on my screen saver, its funny as he saw the picture of his parents and younger brother at a few places and was like, did I go there? I told him NOPE you decided to stay in the hotel, he just wandered off.

Its a fine line between listening to interest/desire and guiding them to experience things they will only appreciate 10 - 20 years later or give them a taste so they will come back with a hunger to explore themselves.

Good luck!

Thanks for the helpful feedback. We're traveling with two teenagers. They are not overly interested in seeing architecture, except maybe as a drive-by or part of a tour.

Thanks!

I did not mean that staying on the ship to play video games would be one of the options. I DO agree that if you are paying for a cruise to Europe the younguns should get a taste of the culture! I only meant that when teens have ownership of the day , they tend (within the limits you set)to enjoy it more.

Barcelona is a fabulous modern city with something for everyone!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Let me get back on track by clarifying my initial questions.

1) Is there a cable car to Montjuic? If so, what is the best way to get there from the cruise terminal?

2) From Montjuic, we should take the bus to Sant Jaume Square for our Segway tour. Is that correct?

3) After the tour concludes (it will be 5:300-6:00 pm), will it be too early to have tapas?

1. Yes there is a cable car but you will either need to take a taxi or bus to it. We were going to go to Montjuic during our return trip but it was closed on Sunday (at least the castle is). I looked at several ways to get there including taxi, bus and cable cars. I concluded that the cable cars were just too expensive; the bus was too complicated so I was going to choose the taxi. I think it was something like 15 euros but dropped us off right at the castle.

2. I am not sure how close the bus can get you to Sant Jaume Square, I had planned on taking bus 55 back to Catalunya, it would be a short walk from there.

3. Too early, you can probably find some place that early but the better tapas dinner places open at 7 or 8.

Cattlar,

That is where I am at this moment. I fight the thought that you are there so suck it up and go in but I read a lot of posts that it is disappointing.

Kirk

This is a good description of the cable car from the port area.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/attractions/cable-car-barcelona.html

Another way to get to the top of Montjuic is to take the shuttle from the port to the bottom of LasRamblas and then take the metro from there(Dassanes station) 1 stop to Parallel where you can get the Funicular railway to the top. Your metro ticket is also good on the other F railway.

The fort is on one end of the park on top of Montjuic and the other place you mentione,Poble Espanyol, is on the opposite end of the large park. Bus#50 goes through the park and then down the mountain and back to Placa Catalunya from where you can walk down Las Ramblas to meet your tour.

I suppose you could also go back down from the fort to the Parallel metro station and get back on the metro to go to Poble Espanyol but I am not sure which station is closest.

This is a good description of the cable car from the port area.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/attractions/cable-car-barcelona.html

Another way to get to the top of Montjuic is to take the shuttle from the port to the bottom of LasRamblas and then take the metro from there(Dassanes station) 1 stop to Parallel where you can get the Funicular railway to the top. Your metro ticket is also good on the other F railway.

The fort is on one end of the park on top of Montjuic and the other place you mentione,Poble Espanyol, is on the opposite end of the large park. Bus#50 goes through the park and then down the mountain and back to Placa Catalunya from where you can walk down Las Ramblas to meet your tour.

I suppose you could also go back down from the fort to the Parallel metro station and get back on the metro to go to Poble Espanyol but I am not sure which station is closest.

Thanks! Great information. What is the difference between a cable car and a funicular railway?

Also - the metro ... that is a train, right?

Thanks!

We are not from an area where we use public transportation, so that will be a fun element of our trip to Europe. It's easy to use, right?

HI again, I just looked at a better map. The cable car does NOT go all the way up to the fort. It ends in the gardens described in the link I gave you.These are still towards the bottom of the mt. It really just gives you views of the bay.

It looks like an easy walk from the Columbus Monoument at the foot of Las Ramblas(where the blue shuttle leaves you0 to the Funicular-which goe sup to the fort. . IF you take the cable car then it looks like a hike up the rest of the way to the fort.

You can buy a T-10 ticket at the metro(subway station)from a machine. This allows 10 rides on both bus and metro and can be SHARED by everyone in your family. Just swipe it, walk in and pass it to the next person.

I have never seen a city with so many different forms of transporation! Just please don't fiddle with money in the metro station and watch your bags and wallets there. TheT-10 costs 7.85e It is good for a total of 10 rides so if shared by 2 -5 rides each etc.

I think taking teens up to Montjuic would be fun especially if they don't get to use public transportation. As was said earlier it is only one stop on the metro to the montjuic funicular which is included in your metro ticket. Once off the metro do not go out the turnstiles but look for the funicular signs and follow them. You will have a bit of a search following the signs but that is half the fun. The funicular takes you half way up the mountian. When you exit there is a chair lift for an additional cost that will take you to the Montjuic Castle (really a fort) or you can walk up through the gardens going up and to the left. When you reach the castle you will have beautiful views of Barcelona plus the port where you can see your ship. I'm not sure of the best way to get from the fort to the Poble Espanyol. I know there is a bus or you can go back down to the metro and take it to Placa Espanol which is near Poble Espanyol.

HI again, I just looked at a better map. The cable car does NOT go all the way up to the fort. It ends in the gardens described in the link I gave you.These are still towards the bottom of the mt. It really just gives you views of the bay.

It looks like an easy walk from the Columbus Monoument at the foot of Las Ramblas(where the blue shuttle leaves you0 to the Funicular-which goe sup to the fort. . IF you take the cable car then it looks like a hike up the rest of the way to the fort.

You can buy a T-10 ticket at the metro(subway station)from a machine. This allows 10 rides on both bus and metro and can be SHARED by everyone in your family. Just swipe it, walk in and pass it to the next person.

I have never seen a city with so many different forms of transporation! Just please don't fiddle with money in the metro station and watch your bags and wallets there. TheT-10 costs 7.85e It is good for a total of 10 rides so if shared by 2 -5 rides each etc.

Just got back from Barcelona on Tuesday, and went up to Montjuïc on Sunday. The cable car (assuming you mean the Telefèric de Montjuïc) does indeed go all the way to the base of the castle/fort. You get right off and walk a short distance to enter the castle (free, btw).

Here is a map showing the route of the Telefèric http://www.tmb.net/es_ES/barcelona/moute/planols/planoteleferic.jsp.

We got on at Parc de Montjuïc. We went up to the Mirador, it turned a corner and we continuted up the hill to the castle. Spectacular views -- a highlight!

Enjoy!

Just got back from Barcelona on Tuesday, and went up to Montjuïc on Sunday. The cable car (assuming you mean the Telefèric de Montjuïc) does indeed go all the way to the base of the castle/fort. You get right off and walk a short distance to enter the castle (free, btw).

Here is a map showing the route of the Telefèric http://www.tmb.net/es_ES/barcelona/moute/planols/planoteleferic.jsp.

We got on at Parc de Montjuïc. We went up to the Mirador, it turned a corner and we continuted up the hill to the castle. Spectacular views -- a highlight!

Enjoy!

Just to clairify the cable car goes from the port area to the base of Montjuic. Then half way up Montjuic at the funicular exit there is a chair lift that goes all the way to the top.

Just to clairify the cable car goes from the port area to the base of Montjuic. Then half way up Montjuic at the funicular exit there is a chair lift that goes all the way to the top.

I think there is some confusion. (Might be only on my part, I confess.)

1. There is a gondola-style aerial tram that runs from the port to Montjuïc, it's called the "Transbordador Aeri del Port."
  2. There is a funicular railway that goes from Paral·lel to Parc de Montjuïc. http://www.tmb.cat/en_US/barcelona/moute/planols/planolfunicular.jsp (And there are other funicular trains in and around Barcelona -- adding to the confusion.)
  3. And finally, the Telefèric de Montjuïc is a closed gondola-type ride (with seats -- we took 6 people on one with plenty of room) that goes from the Parc de Montjuïc to the castle. [This may be what you're referring to when you say "chair lift," but that's confusing me, as I think of a chair lift being like the open-air, dangling-legs seat-thing you sit in when you go skiing. However, I do realize that some ski resorts use gondola-style trams like the Telefèric to get people up the slope, so maybe that's why you're using the chair-lift term.]

This link gives good information on the gondola/cable cars and the funiculars in the city. http://www.way2barcelona.com/travel-guide/barcelona-transportation/cable-cars-and-funiculars/the-most-interesting-form-of-travel-in-barcelona/

I wish I'd figured all of this out before I left, because all of us in our group kept getting the different trams/gondolas, etc. confused, and we weren't the only ones -- we saw several other confused souls.

I think there is some confusion. (Might be only on my part, I confess.)

1. There is a gondola-style aerial tram that runs from the port to Montjuïc, it's called the "Transbordador Aeri del Port."
  2. There is a funicular railway that goes from Paral·lel to Parc de Montjuïc. http://www.tmb.cat/en_US/barcelona/moute/planols/planolfunicular.jsp (And there are other funicular trains in and around Barcelona -- adding to the confusion.)
  3. And finally, the Telefèric de Montjuïc is a closed gondola-type ride (with seats -- we took 6 people on one with plenty of room) that goes from the Parc de Montjuïc to the castle. [This may be what you're referring to when you say "chair lift," but that's confusing me, as I think of a chair lift being like the open-air, dangling-legs seat-thing you sit in when you go skiing. However, I do realize that some ski resorts use gondola-style trams like the Telefèric to get people up the slope, so maybe that's why you're using the chair-lift term.]

This link gives good information on the gondola/cable cars and the funiculars in the city. http://www.way2barcelona.com/travel-guide/barcelona-transportation/cable-cars-and-funiculars/the-most-interesting-form-of-travel-in-barcelona/

I wish I'd figured all of this out before I left, because all of us in our group kept getting the different trams/gondolas, etc. confused, and we weren't the only ones -- we saw several other confused souls.

Okay, I am really confused now. I will have to look through the links and sort it out. Thanks everyone! I REALLY appreciate the info -- this sounds like something that will be fun for us if we can get the transportation figured out.

the Telefèric de Montjuïc is a closed gondola-type ride (with seats -- we took 6 people on one with plenty of room) that goes from the Parc de Montjuïc to the castle. [This may be what you're referring to when you say "chair lift," but that's confusing me, as I think of a chair lift being like the open-air, dangling-legs seat-thing you sit in when you go skiing. However, I do realize that some ski resorts use gondola-style trams like the Telefèric to get people up the slope, so maybe that's why you're using the chair-lift term.]

Yes that is the one I was refering too. I was thinking it was more like a chait lift. Since we never rode it I guess my memory was a bit off. We have been up there twice and just walked up through the gardens.

Archived