Possible Baggage Handler Strike

nonrev1

I hope your friend is right.......it has been a thrill a minute these last few days! I also hope the volcano stays calm. Have a wonderful cruise everyone. It has been fun bonding through this:) Safe travels to everyone!

Linda

I agree....the ash is still delaying flights, we switched one of our flights because our flight is averaging 3 hour delays every day due to the ash, so we would miss our connection. We moved flights and now have plenty of time. Now with the baggage handler strike canceled, one less obstacle in the mix.

Safe and happy travels everyone.

Let's hope your friend is right, because the strike is still listed on the government web site.

I saw this morning the following from EasyTravelReport:

Italy

2, May, Theatre's throughout Italy on strike, including the famous Scala opera house.

Bologna, public transportation strike Thursday, 13, May. 9:30-2:30pm. No services guaranteed. Marconi Airport 14, May, luggage handlers, 10am-6pm.

Also,

14, May Italian strikes cancelled due to volcano.

1, May, 2010 Air One and Alitalia strike. Strike has been postponed till 14, May, 2010. Also postponed is the luggage handlers strike for the same time. 10am-6pm

Is this a good source for accurate information? Hope so!!!

I saw this morning the following from EasyTravelReport:

Italy

2, May, Theatre's throughout Italy on strike, including the famous Scala opera house.

Bologna, public transportation strike Thursday, 13, May. 9:30-2:30pm. No services guaranteed. Marconi Airport 14, May, luggage handlers, 10am-6pm.

Also,

14, May Italian strikes cancelled due to volcano.

1, May, 2010 Air One and Alitalia strike. Strike has been postponed till 14, May, 2010. Also postponed is the luggage handlers strike for the same time. 10am-6pm

Is this a good source for accurate information? Hope so!!!

I hope so too, but what does "postponed till 14 May" mean??? Maybe it was originally scheduled for 1 May and they postponed it until 14 May and now its cancelled??:confused: (Flying to Venice on Saturday.)

I hope so too, but what does "postponed till 14 May" mean??? Maybe it was originally scheduled for 1 May and they postponed it until 14 May and now its cancelled??:confused: (Flying to Venice on Saturday.)

Exactly! I've been watching the report daily, and this is the first time the bold sentence "14, May Italian Strikes cancelled due to Volcano" has appeared before the old information for 1 May - posponed to 14 May. My assumption, is that this is updated information and hopefully the strike is cancelled.

Sorry to report that the strike still appears on the goverment web site as of the end of business on Wednesday, May 12th. I'm not familiar with the Easy Travel Report.

Just received return e-mail today (5/13) from Easy Travel Report who stated baggage handlers strike has been cancelled, another article on this subject also confirmed. Perhaps the government web site is slow in updating information. Guess we'll find out when we arrive FCO on 5/14!

I just checked the government web site again and it still hasn't been updated, but the web site for one of the unions involved confirms what Easy Travel reported, that the stike has been postponed until June 7th, from 10 AM through 6 PM. So now we get to go through this all over again for the folks traveling on June 7th!

Archived