Possible Baggage Handler Strike

nonrev1

I also posted this question on TripAdvisor. We arrive in Venice on May 14 and as of now, a baggage handler strike is scheduled in Italy. Has anyone flown into Italy in the past when a baggage handler strike has taken place? We are just trying to figure out if it means our bags will be delayed until the strike is over that evening, will our bags just be delayed a little bit??? Does anyone know?

Any insight would be appreciated. We know that a lot of strikes are planned, but get canceled- we just want to be prepared if it does.

Thanks!

It is on two different web-sites. The strike is for all of Italy - not just Venice.

The date of the proposed Baggage Handler strike is only on the 14th. I say proposed because there are so many strikes that are scheduled, but then they cancel usually a day or two before the scheduled date.

This is one site for information:

http://www.commissionegaranziasciopero.it/

The strike is from 10 am to 6 pm only;(my flight lands at 1:00)

Click on the calendar, then on Scioperi ****onali. It's the strike by Assohandlers. If it disappears from the calendar, the strike has been called off.

It is on two different web-sites. The strike is for all of Italy - not just Venice.

The date of the proposed Baggage Handler strike is only on the 14th. I say proposed because there are so many strikes that are scheduled, but then they cancel usually a day or two before the scheduled date.

Click on the calendar, then on Scioperi ****onali. It's the strike by Assohandlers. If it disappears from the calendar, the strike has been called off.

the over-active automatic filters nuked part of that

It's N a z i onali (lose the spaces after N)

And the Europeans wonder why their economic productivity is low! Ok, we have flown into Italy when they had a one-day baggage handler strike at the airport. Our flight landed on time and everything was fine. But about thirty minutes after we landed they shut down all the commercial flights into the airport and diverted several international flight to Milan. Those folks (including quite a few on our cruise) were then bused to Venice. This was several years ago, and since its Italy, we doubt if anyone has a clue about what will happen the next time.

Hank

Perhaps a dumb question, but since I don't read Italian the website didn't help...

Does this baggage handler strike mean only at the airport or does it overlap into baggage handlers at the port? Our ship sails on the 14th...

I don't read italian, either - the calendar just shows what day they are planning strikes in Italy and what groups. I did look up the group that is planning a strike - Assohandlers- and they are not port workers. They are airport baggage handlers.

It's not a dumb question at all. Although this isn't definitive, a quote from the president of the association identifies them as the group that provides baggage servie for all national airports. It doesn't mention ports, and I'm assuming that means they are handled by a different union.

Lo ha detto il presidente di Assohandlers, l’associazione delle societa’ dei servizi aeroportuali ****onali, Simone Marini

Thanks for the quick replies EuroCruiser and Nonrevi1. Between terrorist threats, strikes, volcanoes erupting and who knows what else, we all have lots of adventures before we even open the suitcase to pack--it's a downright thrill a minute! :rolleyes:

You are welcome Georgia Peach. And, you are right about the planning! We are now traveling with only carry on bags for a two week cruise. I hope they have some great "stuff as much into a bag" laundry promos on the ship. :)

I contacted Delta (our airline from Portland Or to Venice) and was first told they knew nothing about any strike. When I asked to speak to a supervisor I was then told "the strike will not affect Delta/KLM ( KLM is the carrier from Amsterdam airport to Venice) baggage handlers only handlers for Italian airlines". I am sure this was not a true answer just something to pacify me!

We are scheduled to arrive at 11:15 A M on the 14th. If they cannot remove our bags then they can't load any boarding passengers bags so will probably abort the flight. I wish I knew because if we could just get there we too would go on our cruise with only carry-on luggage.

We are arriving that evening at 7pm and our cruise leaves the next day. I'm really worried about this! There's no way we can just travel with carry on's. We are traveling with our 3 year old which makes it very hard to travel that lightly. Do the strikes usually just last for a day? If it's just friday then can we go back to the airport on saturday morning to get our luggage?

Puli, I hope whoever you spoke to was correct - it definitely makes me feel better if that's the case. :)

has anybody had first hand experience with this problem? We get in on the 14th for a cruise leaving the same day. We have decided to make it work with only carry-ons. Not ideal but im too afraid of not getting our luggage!

The real problem is: Will planes even fly into Venice if they cannot have luggage unloaded and luggage for the new passengers loaded on? I have been told that in past strikes no planes flew into these airports until the strike was over. So even if we only bring carry on luggage if the planes won't land it doesn't matter.

If it were just a local strike for Venice the airlines could divert the flights to Milan and then bus passengers to Venice. But this is a nationwide strike.

It will also affect people trying to leave Venice such as cruise passengers trying to get back home, with I am sure more than carry on luggage,

I think one can only hope that this is a typical Italian strike ploy and that it will be put off yet again. This could happen especially since the volcanic ash has begun to spread again.

KLM advised me to contact them Monday. Easy for them to say.... we leave Wednesday on the first leg of our 3 flights which supposedly ends 2 days later in Venice!

So what is everyone's back up plan? We have a 6 hour layover in Frankfurt, Germany before our flight to Venice. My husband thinks we could just catch a train if we get to Frankfurt and find out that there is a strike and the flights to Venice are cancelled. The train is super expensive and we wouldn't get into Venice until mid-Saturday morning probably but it's better than missing our entire cruise.

Any advice from those of you who are in the same situation or have done this before?

If I read the above web site correctly and clicked on:

"Commission to guarantee the implementation of the law on strikes in essential public services

LIST OF CLAIMS PRIOR TO BREACH

[ART. 13, letter d) of Act No. 146/1990, as amended by Law No. 83/2000]

Strikes scheduling from today

Updated May 7, 2010" the Assohandlers strike does not appear on this schedule/nor is it "confirmed".

Since our flight arrives FCO on 05/14 at 12:45 p.m. hoping that this is a correct interpretation. Would appreciate other comments.

I just checked again with Delta/KLM and at least they are now aware that a strike is planned. What they said was it is not affecting the KLM baggage handlers, that it is mainly Alitalia employees. As of now KLM is planning to fly the regular schedule, bags and all.

The agent stressed that all airlines and European airports are very conscious of the need to keep airways and airports open so we will sit tight and hope for the best.

Has anyone else spoken to the airline being used for their trip? I would be interested to know if other airlines are as complacent about this situation.

We called Continental and Lufthansa last night and they had no knowledge of a strike. We were told to call back in a few days. They said that if they become aware of the strike then they will not charge us a change flight fee but they will charge the difference in the airline ticket to change it to the day before.

I don't know what to do - it sounds like we'll be ok as long as we're not flying Alitalia. So are the baggage handlers who work for the other airlines in a different union?

I forgot to mention that the Delta International supervisor said to be on the safe side, bring 2 carry-ons and only one checked bag ( if going on a cruise) and place all your dressy clothing in that checked bag. That way if the checked baggage was held up/diverted etc. at least you would have clothing to wear and that perhaps your formal wear would catch up with you at some port prior to first the formal dining.

I think that is what we will do and hope for the best!

We called Continental and Lufthansa last night and they had no knowledge of a strike. We were told to call back in a few days. They said that if they become aware of the strike then they will not charge us a change flight fee but they will charge the difference in the airline ticket to change it to the day before.

I don't know what to do - it sounds like we'll be ok as long as we're not flying Alitalia. So are the baggage handlers who work for the other airlines in a different union?

Don't count on that - just because the person you spoke to at the airline didn't know there is a strike planned, doesn't mean it won't impact them.

The strike is still listed on the official national site, and several different unions are taking part. If it happens, likely as not that all airlines will be caught up in it

14 maggio 2010 Trasporto Aereo Assohandlers Filt-Cgil, Fit-Cisl, Uil Trasporti, Ugl Trasporti 8 dalle ore 10.00 alle ore 18.00

We flew into rome in Nov. when there was a strike, our flight was delayed by about 3 hours, when we finally took off they told us we were being diverted to florence, & would be bused into rome (4 hour bus ride) we planned on taking the train instead, however, there were so many planes waiting to land in florence we couldn't get permission to land & were in a holding pattern for quite a bit, then the captain announced we had permission to land in Rome, Yeah! Unfortunately, most of the Brits who were headed to Rome for the weekend had chosen not to go, their baggage had been removed... along with some of ours. finally made it to our hotel, sans some luggage, it was delivered to us the next morning. Long story short, leave yourself plenty of leeway timewise when traveling in/out of Italy, I'd never fly in on the day of a cruise. Doing carry on only won't help much in the event of a baggage hadler strike, because planes won't take off if there's no one to offload the baggage compartments.

Archived