Why bus to Ensenada?

Speedo

We just got off the Spirit from Honolulu to Vancouver, April 23 - May 5, and we talking to people who did the San Diego to Honolulu cruise on April 11-23. They told us they had to be bussed to Ensenada Mexico from San Diego while the ship sailed almost empty from San Diego to meet them in Ensenada. Can anyone explain why they would have to do this. I understand that the Jones Act requires a foreign port to be included in the ships itinerary, does Ensenada not count as a foreign port. We spoke to one couple who did the back-to-back, San Diego to Honolulu and then Honolulu to Vancouver and they were allowed to embark in San Diego with about 10 other people and did not have to make the bus ride to Ensenada. Maybe I don't understand the Jones Act! Does anyone understand this?

We just got off the Spirit from Honolulu to Vancouver, April 23 - May 5, and we talking to people who did the San Diego to Honolulu cruise on April 11-23. They told us they had to be bussed to Ensenada Mexico from San Diego while the ship sailed almost empty from San Diego to meet them in Ensenada. Can anyone explain why they would have to do this. I understand that the Jones Act requires a foreign port to be included in the ships itinerary, does Ensenada not count as a foreign port. We spoke to one couple who did the back-to-back, San Diego to Honolulu and then Honolulu to Vancouver and they were allowed to embark in San Diego with about 10 other people and did not have to make the bus ride to Ensenada. Maybe I don't understand the Jones Act! Does anyone understand this?

The Passenger Vessel Services Act requires a non-US flagged ship carrying passengers from one US port to another to visit a DISTANT foreign port. Neither Mexico nor Canada qualify as distant. EM

Here's an explanation from Wikipedia: Ensenada is not considered a distant foreign port, so the cruise must start from Ensenada to adhere to the law. The couple who disembarked in Vancouver was actually sailing from San Diego to Vancouver, which is allowed.

The Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 (sometimes abbreviated to PVSA, Passenger Services Act, or PSA) is a piece of United States legislation which came into force in 1886 relating to cabotage. Essentially, it says:

No foreign vessels shall transport passengers between ports or places in the United States, either directly or by way of a foreign port, under a penalty of $200(now $300) for each passenger so transported and landed. Any vessel subject to the Jones Act counts as a US vessel. Under the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886, 46 App. U.S.C. § 289, foreign-flagged vessels cannot transport passengers directly between U.S. ports. The handful of U.S.-flagged cruise ships in operation are registered in the U.S. to permit cruises between the Hawaiian Islands, or from the continental U.S. to Hawaii. The Passenger Services Act, however, does not prohibit foreign-flagged ships departing from and returning to the same U.S. port. Nor does it prohibit foreign-flagged ships departing from a U.S. port, visiting a foreign port, and then continuing to a second U.S. port. However, in order to embark in a US port and disembark in a second US port, the vessel must visit a distant foreign port outside of North America (Bermuda counts as Part of North America). Nor does it prevent a ship from taking on passengers at a U.S. port and then returning them to another U.S. city by ground or air, or vice-versa as long as the ship either is a cruise to nowhere or if it stops at all, it must stop at at least one foreign port.

Wouldn't the cruises on the east coast to Canada from New York come under the same restrictions?

No, because the cruise starts and ends in the same port.

The Passenger Services Act, however, does not prohibit foreign-flagged ships departing from and returning to the same U.S. port.

Doing b2b is ok. You embark in San Diego and disembark in Vancouver so isn't transportation between two American cities. No distant foreign port required.

If you booked a b2b and disembarked in Hawaii, you would be:

a) a moron for paying for a second cruise you didn't use

b) in violation of the Jones act

Carnival would be subject to a $300pp fine which they would add to your S&S account.

Doing b2b is ok. You embark in San Diego and disembark in Vancouver so isn't transportation between two American cities. No distant foreign port required.

If you booked a b2b and disembarked in Hawaii, you would be:

a) a moron for paying for a second cruise you didn't use

b) in violation of the Jones act

Carnival would be subject to a $300pp fine which they would add to your S&S account.

Now, what about the reverse B2B in September? Will be be allowed to stay on the ship all the way to San Diego? We board in Vancouver, cruise to Hawaii, and then on to Ensenada. Does the ship then sail to San Diego, and if so, will we be allowed to continue on the ship, or will we have to get off and ride the bus from Ensenada to San Diego?

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Now, what about the reverse B2B in September? Will be be allowed to stay on the ship all the way to San Diego? We board in Vancouver, cruise to Hawaii, and then on to Ensenada. Does the ship then sail to San Diego, and if so, will we be allowed to continue on the ship, or will we have to get off and ride the bus from Ensenada to San Diego?

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Legally, yes you could stay on. Whether Carnival will let you is another matter. I'm actually surprised that they allowed people to board in San Diego in the OP's example, but it's probably something that needed prior arrangement. In your case, I would either call Carnival, or have my TA call them.

Legally, yes you could stay on. Whether Carnival will let you is another matter. I'm actually surprised that they allowed people to board in San Diego in the OP's example, but it's probably something that needed prior arrangement. In your case, I would either call Carnival, or have my TA call them.

Thank you, Dan. Will do.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

When I did the San Diego to Hawaii run, the passenger who were doing back to back cruises were allowed to ride the ship to Ensenada because the cruise after ours debarked in Vancouver, a foreign port.

Roz

Archived