FUN! This cruise is FUN! You are having FUN! Everything is FUN!

Carnival is "The Fun Ships", has been since the 70s, got it. It used to be a harmless little catchphrase. We all have fun on cruises, and before we even go on the Fun Ship we fill out a Fun Pass, understood.

The longtime daily cruise publication known as "Carnival Capers" has been changed to "Fun Times". Plus, I can go on Carnival's website and visit "Funville", then be reassured that Carnival is indeed "All For Fun, Fun For All".

I feel bombarded by the word FUN in big blocky red and blue font. It's like a kids toy commercial that constantly flashes colors and yells loud exclamations about the product. I really miss the old "Beyond the Sea" advertising campaign. Partially because I like Bobby Darin, but mostly because it was understated and classy.

Sorry for the random musing, but it does beat another booze thread.

:D:D:D:p:p:p

Totally there with you! Had to laugh that the "Fun For All" catchphrase was advertised under your post lol :D

That is one of the reasons we cruise with Princess, no flashy advertising, the ships are nothing but understated elegance, and its a very pampering experience.

We still love Carnival, they both have their ups and downs, its all in what we want at the time.

I do miss the "Beyond the Sea" advertising, heck, I even miss Kathy Lee Gifford singing the tune to each ship :rolleyes: those days are gone now, I think more and more lines are going for the "go go go" active clientele, people who want over the top entertainment and activities, so they use over the top advertising to get everyones attention, loud advertising is being used everywhere these days, lol, I HAVE to cruise, just to get away from it all, that's my excuse anyway :p

Carnival is "The Fun Ships", has been since the 70s, got it. It used to be a harmless little catchphrase. We all have fun on cruises, and before we even go on the Fun Ship we fill out a Fun Pass, understood.

The longtime daily cruise publication known as "Carnival Capers" has been changed to "Fun Times". Plus, I can go on Carnival's website and visit "Funville", then be reassured that Carnival is indeed "All For Fun, Fun For All".

I feel bombarded by the word FUN in big blocky red and blue font. It's like a kids toy commercial that constantly flashes colors and yells loud exclamations about the product. I really miss the old "Beyond the Sea" advertising campaign. Partially because I like Bobby Darin, but mostly because it was understated and classy.

:D:D:p:p

Hey Darth, how you been?

They are putting too much pressure on me.....What if I've had 179 days of fun in a row and want to have a grumpy day on the cruise ??? LOL...You forgot to include Fun Ship Freddy....:D:D

Yes, the relentless demand that passengers have FUN, along with the cheap Las Vegas glitz shows and decor are two (of several) reasons that we no longer book Carnival cruises.

Wow... your name suits you well.

I'll take a FUN cruise any day..sure beats the "FUN" at work..:p

:D:D:p:p

LOL!!

It is better than a booze thread and I agree with you :D

I miss "Beyond the Sea" as well, although maybe they figured that last line "and never again I'll go sailing" wasn't the message Carnival wanted to send.;) I like "Bang the Drum," though - in fact, I've been telling DH I want it as the ring tone on my next phone (my current phone doesn't download ring tones). I think I just want to be in a meeting at work and have my phone ring.:p

FUN does get a little old after a while, but it sure doesn't stop me from having fun on a cruise!

Hey Darth, how you been?

They are putting too much pressure on me.....What if I've had 179 days of fun in a row and want to have a grumpy day on the cruise ??? LOL...You forgot to include Fun Ship Freddy....:D:D

Hey man, I can't complain, same old stuff around here.

You got me on Fun Ship Freddy, totally forgot him, or maybe I just didn't want to remember. :D

You can now even go behind the Fun! :p

You got me there too.:cool:

Define FUN......I'll guarantee my definition and yours (or yours) isn't the same. I agree that the 'in your face' FUN theme isn't my cup of tea, but don't all companies change it up all the time....the 'gift' of advertising/p.r. I guess.

Carnival devotee....yup. Give me a ship, balcony and smooth seas and I'm a happy vacationer.

They have a commercial on the radio in RDU area, and its a man and he's like "entertainment?" Then they sing Yahhhhhhh "excursions?" then the dolphins cheer "boat?" hear the horn.

"we're here, where are you?"

i dunno, it drives me nuts. I feel like they're recruiting for summer camp lol

Wow... your name suits you well.

I'll take a FUN cruise any day..sure beats the "FUN" at work..:p

I was just thinking the same thing......but I wasn't going to say it! Whoops, guess I just did.

Personally I think they should continue to expand the whole "fun" concept. That way, the next time I sail with Carnival I can eat my "fun burger" while sitting on a "fun lounger" by the "fun pool", drinking my "fun cocktail" that will cause me to have to go visit the "fun toilet".

(Ok, ya gotta admit, that was fun.)

I'm with the OP here.

I remember a few years back, my wife and I decided to go to Vegas. We decided to stay at the MGM Grand. Called to make reservations, the call center ensure me we would have a "Grand" time and have a "Grand" day.

Checked in only to be told to have a "Grand" day. Luggage was delivered and please have a "Grand" stay. Went downstairs, ordered a drink,,,you know it,,, Thanks, have a "Grand" day.

After a couple of days of this, I had to hold my wife back from slapping someone, the next time they told her what kind of day to have.:D

I agree with the other posters who think the "fun" message is being taken a little overboard. We miss the old commercials too, but I can always listen to Bobby Darin on my Iphone.

I feel bombarded by the word FUN in big blocky red and blue font.

LOL!!

It is better than a booze thread and I agree with you

Aw, shucks!

And here I thought another booze thread would be FUN!

LOL. ;)

Yes, the relentless demand that passengers have FUN, along with the cheap Las Vegas glitz shows and decor are two (of several) reasons that we no longer book Carnival cruises.

I hope your are feeling better now that you have that out of your system.:rolleyes:

Personally I think they should continue to expand the whole "fun" concept. That way, the next time I sail with Carnival I can eat my "fun burger" while sitting on a "fun lounger" by the "fun pool", drinking my "fun cocktail" that will cause me to have to go visit the "fun toilet".

(Ok, ya gotta admit, that was fun.)

I was with you up until the "fun toilet". :eek::D

Archived