Are small fans and extension cords FORBIDDEN items on NCL?

Recently Carnival has stated that items such as fans, extension cords, power strips, (etc...) are restricted items, and will be confiscated from your carry on or checked luggage. Other than a vague "hazard/safety" excuse, there is not a real reason given (yes, sometimes I prefer to know WHY)!

We bring a fan and sound machine which are very helpful in drowning out noise from the hallway or neighboring cabins when we are sleeping. If we don't sleep well due to noise, then no matter how nice the cruise might be, it won't be pretty! :eek:

I wonder if some bean counter has determined that by eliminating these items across the fleet, they will save umpteen $'s per year thanks to reduced electrical consumption. If so that's cheap, IMHO!

Are there similar inane restrictions on NCL? :confused:

Tom

I found a small electric fan (about 4 inches in diameter) that I take with me always. The cabins are so stuffy, esp in warmer weather and, I am "ahem" older and "ahem" less tolerant to warmth.....if you get my drift Julie

I found a small electric fan (about 4 inches in diameter) that I take with me always. The cabins are so stuffy, esp in warmer weather and, I am "ahem" older and "ahem" less tolerant to warmth.....if you get my drift Julie

Yes... I do!

Thanks

We always bring a power strip to charge cell phones, ipods and straightening iron. We have never had a problem. Our last sail was just in March on the NCL Gem.

We have always sailed with power strips, extension cords and small fans on NCL, probably the last 15 years. Never had a problem.

Thanks - hopefully NCL and Celebrity won't catch a whiff of what Carnival is doing, and try to join the bandwagon!

Tom

You may want to look at some recently reviews and ask the person who wrote them. Carnival just started doing this, so my saying I brought an extension cord months ago may not matter if NCL just implemented that.

That aside, I read this board regularly, and don't recall anyone saying they weren't allowed to bring those things yet.

they would not be able to restrict MY bringing an extension cord, I have a CPAP and would not be able to be "attached" to the desk area :D I need an extension cord to "make it" to the bed area. My guess is that you're gonna have some people screamin' about this policy.

they would not be able to restrict MY bringing an extension cord, I have a CPAP and would not be able to be "attached" to the desk area :D I need an extension cord to "make it" to the bed area. My guess is that you're gonna have some people screamin' about this policy.

And I have to have one to charge my power wheelchair. I would join in the screaming as well.

And I have to have one to charge my power wheelchair. I would join in the screaming as well.

After implementing this new policy, they were approached by many people, and have added a "medically necessary" clause to permit such uses.

Tom

Archived