Good News for those Taking Metro from Piraeus???

bwbolt

I very very small bit of good news, much bigger concerns for anyone in Athens or arriving in Piraeus at the moment :mad:

It looks like the construction that forced Metro users from Piraeus to go one stop, take a bus, and then get back on the Metro may be coming to an end. According to this announcement from ISAP's (Line 1 of the Metro) website, it looks like it will be back open this Monday, May 10. Let's hope it works out that way.

Thanks for sharing that info! We are hoping to be in Athens in two weeks on our Med. cruise and I was worried the metro construction wouldn't be completed. Now I just to have to worry about the Athens stop being cut from the itinerary!

Thanks for sharing that info! We are hoping to be in Athens in two weeks on our Med. cruise and I was worried the metro construction wouldn't be completed. Now I just to have to worry about the Athens stop being cut from the itinerary!

Tennant, we are on the same cruise as you and have been wondering the same thing. I think we will be okay. A lot of things are already closed on Mondays, so I don't see them scheduling a strike that day because it would not be as effective. Also, especially given this week's unfortunate events, I don't see them scheduling another strike so soon (I think this was just the 3rd one this year).

Here are some things to keep in mind now that the Green line to Athens is open.

1. The cruise port to the metro distance is over 1 1/4 miles.

2. Taxis will not willing to take you,the fare is only 3-4 euro.

3. There is a bus .Its a pain.

4.Be careful on the train.

Pickpockets love this line.They are good.Backpacks are extremely vulnerable.

The best way to maximize your chances is to keep your stuff in front of you and keep your back ON the walls.

GET A SEAT if you can, take the next train if need be so you are seated and keep your stuff between your legs.

Be vigilant.

The train and the Monastiraki station are the only spots I will be extra careful in around Athens,not that it can not happen anywhere else of course.

5.Be extra careful on the way back.You will be tired.Do not be overconfident.

6.Bite the bullet and get a cab.

I have read that Athens is one of the worst places to get a cab bc they are not willing to use the meters, they are extremely rude and unhelpful and will try to charge you many times more. This ofcourse could have been the minority opinion but even the athens guide book I have cautions against cabs from the cruise port. Plus, I hate to pay so much for a cab when the metro is an available option.

Archived