What exactly is a PVP and do I need one?

luvmyboyz

I love my PVP, I got her by "luck" when I was booking my first cruise. She has never tied of my endless questions. She always gets back to me quickly, email or phone calls, I hear from her the same day. I just booked by third cruise with her and have referred friends to her, they love her too!! All you can do is check a few out and see what kind of vibe you get. Mine is always cheerful and happy, not to mention very helpful, she has been doing this for years and knows all the ins and outs of Carnival

Thats awesome. I wish there wasnt a restriction against PVP referrals... I haven't had any luck with a good one yet... but maybe I'll luck up like you guys:rolleyes:

A Carnival employee, and you don't need one. You can book on your own, use a Carnival employee (PVP), a local TA or a national TA. Find the person who best suits you, and that may be you, then work with that person as long as it is mutually beneficial.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

truer words were never spoken.

I just love how your "personal" vacation planner is assigned to you and you have no say in it...LOL...sorry...I want to personnally pick my PVP...hahahaha :p

I guess I too Lucked out....had a PVP call me a few moths ago, but we were booked on another cruise that we have since had to cancel....so the other day I was looking thru some of my papers on my desk and found her extension number and name....so I called her and she is wonderful...very, very informative and helpful...already sent me a copy of the ES Price Reduction form on my email so I can keep it and use whenever necessary, and she spent so much time with me making sure I was happy with the cabin I was booking...so yes I am one that is very computer savvy, but I also know that things can go wrong online, and would rather have a live person to refer back to and get everything from them...Good luck on your search...I think it is kind of ridiculous to not be able to mention names on here, but you can on the Carnival Website forums....I know because mine is named a couple of times on there.....

My experience is; first Carnival cruise booked to a Travel Agent, not a bad experience, but I felt it was over priced. It was my choice however to to book it and pay the price. The cruise itself was fantastic! Next two cruises booked through different PVPs at Carnival, just by calling the 1 800 number, and I have to say, while they were ok, I dont even to this day remember their names. About a year or so before my recent cruise on the Liberty, I started to get messages on my voicemail from my current PVP ( she took over from my previous one ), and she is excellent. She doesnt bug me to death with emails or phone calls, but seems to recognize my travel pattern and is realistic about the fact that I only cruise at best once a year. To date, she is the best PVP I have had and when I call her, more often than not, she answers right away. When I do leave a voicemail, she gets back to me by the next day at the latest. I really Like my PVP! JMHO.:)

If you are at all computer savvy, I don't know why you'd ever need a PVP, unless you just want someone to talk to.

I briefly wondered this too... wondered what the pros/cons, advantages/disadvantages are of having a pvp or not?

I guess I too Lucked out....had a PVP call me a few moths ago, but we were booked on another cruise that we have since had to cancel....so the other day I was looking thru some of my papers on my desk and found her extension number and name....so I called her and she is wonderful...very, very informative and helpful...already sent me a copy of the ES Price Reduction form on my email so I can keep it and use whenever necessary, and she spent so much time with me making sure I was happy with the cabin I was booking...so yes I am one that is very computer savvy, but I also know that things can go wrong online, and would rather have a live person to refer back to and get everything from them...Good luck on your search...I think it is kind of ridiculous to not be able to mention names on here, but you can on the Carnival Website forums....I know because mine is named a couple of times on there.....

I saw a few pvp's mentioned several times in the carnival forums. I've only narrowed it down to 6 out of those so far. Wonder if one of them is yours?:rolleyes:

Do they work on commission?

After our 4th cruise, we finally had a PVP call us this week! Not sure if it would be advantageous to use her in the future or not, so I am interested in opinions here too.

:confused:

PVP's are like TA's. If you're new to cruising and/or are not computer savvy and/or don't know what discounts you qualify for, then they can be good for you. The discounts are pretty simple. The discounts are pretty simple. There are 5 of them. Past guest, military, senior citizen, state of residency, and industry (i.e. airline employee) You're either in one of those groups or you're not. Once you know all that, I find it's best to just book on your own. I price check online then call the 1-800 # when I'm ready to book. I have been quoted better prices over the phone than what is shown on their website, so I always call when I'm ready to book, but I book with whoever answers the phone, not a regular PVP..

About 6 months before my last cruise (late 2006), I logged onto carnival's site and one called me. I booked that cruise thru the site and never talked to a soul about it. Since I started planning my next one, the same guy called and emailed to check in with me. (Not to the point of being annoying tho) Makes me wonder if they monitor your activity or something.... there was a three year difference in between and he still had my name. I still booked online, but the guy seems nice.

okay, i'm trying to figure this out.... i booked our cruise by calling carnival directly. talked to a real nice person. got my cruise deposit done, etc. when it was 60 days from sail date, i called up and talked to a new person who answered the phone and made my final payment. no one ever called me back or anything. I've never talked to the same person again. is the person who helped me with a reservation my PVP? Or do you have to officially ask for a PVP? i think it would be nice to attempt to start a relationship with someone who can help me, because after this first cruise coming up in July, I think I'm gonna be hooked!

I've booked all of my cruises through a travel agent. He doesn't offer any sort of "perks" like free bottle of wine, chocolate, OBC, or anything like that.. However, he is really helpful and is always ready to find me a good deal. I can sit on the phone and to to him for half an hour about baseball and he doesn't rush me off the phone.. On my last sailing, I booked an Ocean View room. He was able to find me an Obstructed View Balcony for like $30 more for the whole cabin..

I've spoken with a PVP's on the phone and wasn't really impressed with them. Sure, I know the rates change ever so often but they kept trying to lock me in right then and there. No offer to hold the cabin for 24 hours or anything like that...

Do they work on commission?

After our 4th cruise, we finally had a PVP call us this week! Not sure if it would be advantageous to use her in the future or not, so I am interested in opinions here too.

:confused:

They do not get commissions. They work to fill QUOTAS required for them to keep their jobs, Their PRIMARY interest is making that quota. Their secondary interest is the Carnival Ciorporation. Their last interest is your wants and needs.

I recently booked using a PVP for the first time and discovered one advantage. After searching multiple web sites, including Carnival, I couldn't find the particular cabin that I wanted available on any site. All of them listed the exact same handful of forward 4K cabins on the Pride, for exactly the same price. When I called Carnival directly I got a very nice lady (PVP) who quickly told me that the particlar cabin I wanted was available, just not online. I booked a 4K for the price of a 4A and will be sailing on Oct 24th. Now if only the upgrade fairy comes a long... Bye the way, if you are wondering why the paricular cabin number, some 4K cabins actually have a "view" between the lifeboats.

That same cabin that was not listed online ( they only list 10 per category) that your PVP found you could have been gotten by any travel agent you called as well.

If it's in inventory it's available to everybody not just PVP's.:)

Bill

• 3 months later...

Thread being resurrected. I booked a year ago for my cruise coming up in October by calling the 800 number during a past guest promotion. Got a 4A upgraded to a 4K and everything has been fine. I've been thinking about upgrading to a balcony and I've been watching prices online and found a price & cabin I was willing to book that showed available for 3 people. I called the 800 number and spoke to a guy that was not very good. He knew I was a past guest cuz he asked me. He told me I couldn't have that cabin cuz it was a quad so tried to sell me one of the higher categories at a price that was higher than the website was showing. I kept insisting that his price was wrong. Finally I said "Are you quoting me the price of an 8J or the lower category with the free past guest upgrades" and he goes "Oh yeah, my mistake. You are right" :confused: So here I am wanting to be upsold, willing to pay to upgrade, and he just discouraged me. He's trying to sell me a 7A obstructed balcony that many people get either free upgrades to or just pay $40/$50 to upgrade to. I would have to pay $305 to upgrade from the 4K with the french doors that open with a lifeboat in front to a balcony with lifeboats in front but have chairs that I can sit on. That just doesn't make sense to me.

Archived