Celebrity Summit Bed Bugs

Rea

It is easier to handle it like I did. I made one cruise on Celebrity and silently slipped away.

Over 40 cruises on NCL and 18 on Princess with no bedbug problems. I probably won't be back to Celebrity.

I've sailed with Celebrity since 1989 and this is my first unsatisfactory resolution with them. I've got the Elite status so it gives tons of perks. I don't need to sail with them anymore... on to other adventures...

I stayed in San Juan before the cruise. The cabin was 6037. After we were moved, we noticed several others on that deck being 'cleaned'.

Thanks for giving more information. I'll admit it did sound a bit odd without the extra info. I'm sorry you went through this. How terrible! I wonder if there is something one could pack to spray that would help rid bed bugs? It would be good to know this when traveling anywhere. Maybe someone here would have an answer on what would work / not work?

Wow, poor OP; I would hate to have some CC members as a jury of my peers!

I don't really think that there would be any type of spray that could deal with bed bugs. I had a rental apartment that somehow became infested and I had to have a company come out and fumigate multiple times costing $500 ugh!! The best way to avoid is to inspect your mattress upon arrival. You just look in the ticking/seam all around the mattress; that's where they hide... yuck!

I stayed in San Juan before the cruise. The cabin was 6037. After we were moved, we noticed several others on that deck being 'cleaned'.

The bed bugs had to come from somewhere. Someone brought them aboard. What hotel did you stay at? San Juan has some problematic hotels.

Whatever hotel, resort or ships cabin I am staying in I always inspect the mattress and the headboard.We should not count on a hotel or cruise ship staff to be the discoverer.

I was on the Summit last week and did not encounter any bed bugs or hear of any.....so the ship is not infested. Since passengers board from all over the world it's a fact of life that every now and then bedbugs or a virus like noro can invade a cruise ship. No cruise ship, no hotel or house exists in isolation. As I said I always inspect the mattress and headboards. Some spray their cabin surfaces with lysol. I don't go that far but those who do spray are more prudent than me.

Edited by Charles4515

• 3 weeks later...

My family and I got back from a cruise to Bermuda on the Summit a few weeks ago. With there being 3 cabins for all of us, My room had bed bugs. I just thought that they were some beetle that was on my clothes from the island. If only I was so lucky. I'm now finding them all over my room, and in my drawers. Never again would I go onto a celebrity cruise. The staff was fantastic, but I'd prefer not to be bit and itchy, and have them all over my room..

We were in 2160. They kind of just changed the subject and told us not to worry when we brought it up, so we didn't really think anything of it. We assumed we were just being paranoid. We've never seen bed bugs before so we weren't sure what they looked like up close. Whenever we'd leave the room, you could tell they were doing an intensive cleaning, it always smelled of chemicals, so we thought they were just trying to kill of the remaining "beetles"

We are traveling on the Summit in August. This thread really creeps me out.

What are some precautions we can take?

Leave your bags in hall. Pull bed away from the wall. If there is a headboard not mounted to the wall pull that away as well. Inspect the head portion of the mattress and box spring. Inspect the reverse side of the headboard, as bed bugs hide in dark places. Inspect the entire perimeter of the mattress. Look under pillows and inside pillow cases. If a headboard is mounted to the wall like on Summit, do the same type of perimeter check around the outer edges of the headboard, focusing on folds and cracks in the material. If you find anything take your bags (still in hallway) down to guest services and refuse to sleep in the room.

That is the procedure to find bedbugs at a hotel. I learned it on a bedbug special that I watched on TV.

I was on Summit in May with a cruisecritic group that approached 200 and no one ever complained of bedbugs. Obviously we didn't have every single room on the ship .

First, chances you will find bed bugs in your cabin are very low.

Second, if you are really worried, check sheets, mattress pads and mattresses (especially in the corners) before opening any of your luggage.

There are many web-sites with pictures or YouTube videos that can teach you how to do this. I'm confident that you won't find anything BUT if you do, contact the Hotel Manager immediately.

The ships don't want this any more than any hotels do and will nip it in the bud whenever possible.

Just check your bedding when you board if you're concerned. As stated these things are usually brought on board by someone coming from a hotel. I have never had an issue with bedbugs on a cruise.

Whenever I travel and use a hotel I always zip my luggage completely closed after using and do not allow them to sit on the floor if possible. I would be more concerned with the SJ hotels than I would the ship. :)

Edited by cruisingator2

I've sailed with Celebrity since 1989 and this is my first unsatisfactory resolution with them. I've got the Elite status so it gives tons of perks. I don't need to sail with them anymore... on to other adventures...

Have you tried to contact Michael Bayley's office? Send an email with a brief email to his office and I would expect a follow up call from someone in his office.

Contactmichael@Celebrity.com

Hopefully you will hear from them and can get some closure on the issue.

• 4 weeks later...

I sailed from Bayonne to Bermuda on the celebrity summit from 7/20 thru 7/27. On day three of our cruise my nine year old daughter had some tiny red marks along her forehead and brow. The next day she had several on her hands, fingers and forearms. Shame on me it did not even dawn on me what they could be and I suspected some kind of a virus. There were 4 people occupying the cabin but she and I slept in the main king size bed. The day after our return I had also broken out into 19 of the same marks. We went to the doctor who informed us that they were indeed insect bites. I have researched bed bugs and come to find out that the bites and allergic reaction do not appear immediately on some people. My husband now had about 6 on one arm. They are all in the " breakfast, lunch , dinner pattern that bed bugs are known for. We did not stay in a hotel as we live only 40 minutes from the port in New Jersey. We have been in contact with a trusted exterminator. We had an inspection today by a bed bug sniffing dog. The first positive hit was on a piece of luggage that had been stored under our bed on board the ship. The second was unfortunately in my daughters room in her dresser drawer. The clothes in the drawer were from the exact piece of luggage the dog had hit on in the garage. The dog also made a positive hit on my master bed. This is going to cost me thousands of dollars to treat properly. If only I had checked the room.

We have reported the problem to celebrity and request that they immediately inspect the cabin (6023). We have heard nothing yet but been referred to fill out claim forms with the legal department.

I have videos and pictures of our bites, medical documentation and a report coming from the exterminator and dog handler. I am so unbelievably disappointed that such a fun time has ended like this. I have been on 5 cruises but so disgusted that I will probably never go again. I just hope celebrity will fo the right thing and compensate me for this costly situation.

I will add, I found it odd that my mother and sister who were in nearby cabins had both had the cloth headboards removed from behind thier beds... They both came to my room and commented how "nice" my headboard was! Makes me suspicious that possibly thier rooms had been treated recently....snd that the ship may have been aware of the problem. Just speculating.

I sailed from Bayonne to Bermuda on the celebrity summit from 7/20 thru 7/27. On day three of our cruise my nine year old daughter had some tiny red marks along her forehead and brow. The next day she had several on her hands, fingers and forearms. Shame on me it did not even dawn on me what they could be and I suspected some kind of a virus. There were 4 people occupying the cabin but she and I slept in the main king size bed. The day after our return I had also broken out into 19 of the same marks. We went to the doctor who informed us that they were indeed insect bites. I have researched bed bugs and come to find out that the bites and allergic reaction do not appear immediately on some people. My husband now had about 6 on one arm. They are all in the " breakfast, lunch , dinner pattern that bed bugs are known for. We did not stay in a hotel as we live only 40 minutes from the port in New Jersey. We have been in contact with a trusted exterminator. We had an inspection today by a bed bug sniffing dog. The first positive hit was on a piece of luggage that had been stored under our bed on board the ship. The second was unfortunately in my daughters room in her dresser drawer. The clothes in the drawer were from the exact piece of luggage the dog had hit on in the garage. The dog also made a positive hit on my master bed. This is going to cost me thousands of dollars to treat properly. If only I had checked the room.

We have reported the problem to celebrity and request that they immediately inspect the cabin (6023). We have heard nothing yet but been referred to fill out claim forms with the legal department.

I have videos and pictures of our bites, medical documentation and a report coming from the exterminator and dog handler. I am so unbelievably disappointed that such a fun time has ended like this. I have been on 5 cruises but so disgusted that I will probably never go again. I just hope celebrity will fo the right thing and compensate me for this costly situation.

I will add, I found it odd that my mother and sister who were in nearby cabins had both had the cloth headboards removed from behind thier beds... They both came to my room and commented how "nice" my headboard was! Makes me suspicious that possibly thier rooms had been treated recently....snd that the ship may have been aware of the problem. Just speculating.

So sorry that you are going through this. I always tear the bed apart before I use it, whether on a ship or hotel room, and I also bring some bed bug spray. I would be devastated, which I'm sure you are, if I brought those little buggers home from a trip.

what is the spray called , where do you buy it? going on the summit on sunday and I'm worried.
It is called Rest Easy and I bought it at Bed, Bath and Beyond. They have a 2 ounce travel size, it comes two to a package (at least that is what I bought). I've never had to use it, but have been carrying it in my travel bag for a couple of years.

Did they follow dress code for formal night?

How much booze do they smuggle in??

Good night, sleep tight, and don't let the bed bugs bite!

You guys are way too funny! Wish I could have thought of those! :D

Edited by teecee60

The spray does not kill bedbugs-just repels them. Spray it on your luggage. Wrap your empty luggage in large black garbage bags and seal tightly, then spray again before storing under bed. Make sure hanging clothes are hanging in bags and spray them. ALL clothing and other belongings should be put in large ziplock bags before placing in drawers.

I take this precaution every time I travel now, even for hotel rooms. (Always check bedbugregistry.com to see if hotel has had reports.) In hotel rooms, I keep all bags in the tub and never put things in drawers, on the floor or on the beds.

If you get any bites, follow all rules for clean-up before you take things home. (Check on-line.)

Remember, children are more likely to get bites (tender skin), people over 65 are less likely to get bites (recent research has shown this). That does not mean you can't take them home with you on your luggage.

If you do not have bites, you still need to be very careful when you get home. All clothing should be washed and cleaned and luggage probably should not be taken inside your house.

Unfortunately, bedbugs are extremely common in hotels in port cities and neither the hotel nor the cruise ships want to know if you suspect a problem, only if you present actual evidence.

Edited by Honeybearhollow

Sorry folks have experienced this... I suffered bites at a well known hotel in our area while there for a three night conference...others did too...some folks are more allergic than others. Bites are annoying but prospect of bringing them home is scary. the fancy hotel really could not care one bit....

At hotels and on ships I check headboard area and matresses, travel with an organic spray from a travel catalogue and keep suitcases wrapped in plastic dry cleaner bags...heard the bugs do not like plastic.,,we also re-wash everyhing even if we bring it home laundered, and respray suitcases

..my husb thinks I am kooky (which I am) but it gives me some peace of mind...