Vancouver Hotel

Jen1000

I was assuming that one of your options was the Fairmont Waterfront but now with your reference to driving, I am wondering which of the 4 Vancouver Fairmonts you are thinking of? By the way parking in downtown hotels is now north of $25/night so the free parking at the Renaissance has some value.

Putterdude,

I have been checking Hotwire for these dates, and there is a 5* in downtown west that is $119. What do you think of that? Vicki

Anything that is 5* in "Downtown-West" and is $119 I would be grabbing....right now! Please let us know what you end up with, I am sure that it will be good.

I was assuming that one of your options was the Fairmont Waterfront but now with your reference to driving, I am wondering which of the 4 Vancouver Fairmonts you are thinking of? By the way parking in downtown hotels is now north of $25/night so the free parking at the Renaissance has some value.

Yes, it was the normal Fairmont Hotel Vancouver I was talking about and they do not shuttle to the pier. I don't have a corporate rate at the other hotels (at least I do not see it listed), although I will ask the person I've been speaking to at the Fairmont.

The Fairmont rate includes 1 $24 breakfast buffet, which presumably I can use towards something else. They want an extra $30 each for my kids (over 18) so I would probably be better off just getting a 2nd room and getting another $24 in breakfast credit. Given that we're heading to a week of unlimited eating, I can't really see the need to have a big breakfast that morning so we should be able to do ok with $48 worth of food.

Parking is not that big a deal since my plan was to ditch the car as soon as I got there (we are driving from Seattle and I figured I'd do whatever driving we wanted to do before getting to the hotel. Of course if we were to stay at the Renaissance and had free parking, we'd use it and only return the car the following day.

The Hotel Vancouver is grand old hotel and I mean Grand. It is pretty much center ice in terms of downtown Vancouver and about a 6 block walk to Canada place...all downhill. I have actually spent a week in the Royal Suite a few years ago...DW and I had Prince Phillp's room and the couple we were staying there with had the Queen's room....but alas I now book deals on Priceline.

Putterdude,

Just booked on hotwire for $119 per night, and we got Sutton Place, It looks really nice.

We will be there for 3 nights pre-cruise.

Vicki

P.S. thanks for the help!

Vicki, that's great news...last year we were hearing of $135 Hotwire rates so lets hope that prices are softening. It is a good location, just south of Robson St. and all of its shops and restaurants, You can walk to Canada Place, about 8 blocks downhill. The HOHO, Vancouver Trolley stops pretty much in front of the hotel. Goldie Hawn used to be a frequent guest there and the film Bird on a Wire was shot there as well. Enjoy!:)

Help...not sure what to do...looking for a room for Thurs, 9/16. Didn't get anywhere with PL. Hotwire has a 5* in DT West for $123....Could be Sutton Place...Am I jumping too quickly, as it's only May? Should I wait & see if a better deal shows up on PL?

Help...not sure what to do...looking for a room for Thurs, 9/16. Didn't get anywhere with PL. Hotwire has a 5* in DT West for $123....Could be Sutton Place...Am I jumping too quickly, as it's only May? Should I wait & see if a better deal shows up on PL?

It could well be the Sutton Place or the Weston Bayshore. It's a bit hard to guess what is going to happen as we head into September...I would probably wait myself, however if you are comfortable with the $123 rate then go for it, it is a good rate for a downtown Vancouver hotel.

it was the Sheraton Wall Centre. For others who are using Hotwire--

8/5 to 8/7 $109/nt. 4* in downtown Vanc. area.

Amenities:

pool, rest., fitness, high speed internet, spa, rest., business ctr (not in that order)

Hopefully we'll like it!

Good for you, it is a good hotel in a good location. It tends to be a bit south of action central but the only real complaint that has been advanced is that because it is very close to St. Paul's Hospital (where I was born) that there are a lot of sirens...but at $109 I'll put up with some sirens. If you can get a north facing room, you should have some great views.:)

Thx Putterdude...but Better Bidding has the Bayshore listed as a 4-star.

Star rating is very subjective and everyone has their own opinion, some would have Sutton Place at 5* and others would put it at 4*... so it is always hard to say.

My Fairmont price is only $101. I could actually get the Four Seasons for $110, but they claim the max per room is 3, even though they do have rooms with 2 double beds. The Fairmont will drive us to the pier for free? That would be nice. I'd really prefer not to have to get a second room for my kids, but I do not want to show up and have them tell me that because they are > 18 it will be $30 extra per person, at which point I might as well just get 2 rooms.

BTW at that rate I only get city view, not harbour.

Ahhhh you should be aware that there are three fairmonts in vancouver (harbour, downtown and airport) - all are great one "newer" the other is a heritage building and I am not sure about the airport one. Any fairmont is a good fairmont...

Ahhhh you should be aware that there are three fairmonts in vancouver (harbour, downtown and airport) - all are great one "newer" the other is a heritage building and I am not sure about the airport one. Any fairmont is a good fairmont...

Actually there are now four Fairmonts in Vancouver, the venerable Hotel Vancouver, the Airport, the Waterfront and the new Pacific Rim just a tad west of Canada Place.

I too plan to use PL at a first timer for a September date. Cruise ship is returning from Alaska heading for Hawaii. On one of the bidding sites I seen Hotwire offering 2 hotels that are probally the Sutton Place and the other is the Sheridan Wall. They are priced between $112-$119. Would you recommend one over the other? Is one closer to the cruise port?

Thanks

I would seriously try Priceline....we use it all the time now. When on the bidding screen for Vancouver, click on Vancouver-Downtown and start at 3* or 3.5* with a first bid at $75 or $85. All hotels in this range and location are good hotels, in safe locations and not more than $10 cab ride to and from Canada Place. We were $112 for the Hyatt 10 days ago, $85 at the Renaissance last May and I just read of a $120 Hyatt stay for July. By September the tourist season is starting to wind down a bit and the pressure on hotel rates should ease a bit.

I am looking for a safe,clean room within walking distance of cruise port. We are trying to stay within a tight budget and all the rooms I have checked are above our budget. I have never used priceline or any site like it before so am not sure how it works. There are 3 of us needing 1 room, priceline states the bid is for occupancy of 2 and can't guarentee number of beds. Is this an option for us, if we get a winning bid can we contact the hotel and ask for 2 beds or how does this work. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

With PriceLine they are only required to provide you with a room to accommodate 2 people. The room may have a king, queen or 2 queens or 2 doubles. After you have the bid you may phone the hotel and request a 2-bedded room or a roll in cot but they are under no obligation to do so...so there is a risk. I can tell from personal experience we have found hotels to be very accommodating with requests and as DW requires an h/c room we have always been able to get one, however that again is no guarantee.

Sort of under the category of "who really cares" I have to be in the city towards the end of June for a couple of nights and have booked a room at the Lonsdale Quay Hotel in North Vancouver. They currently have a special running for $99/n. The hotel is across the harbour from downtown Vancouver immediately adjacent the Lonsdale Quay where the SeaBus that runs from Waterfront Station comes in. Adjoining the hotel is Lonsdale Quay which is a festival market and there is lots of neat shopping and restaurants in the neighbourhood. With the SeaBus it is extremely easy to get back and forth to Canada Place...so if someone is looking for something a little different by way of a hotel this might be the answer. link

Archived