Bermuda private guide

fancycroozer

Thanks everybody for sharing your tour guide experiences. I tried Colin for our July stop and he was already booked. :( So, I now have an email in to Nevis Barboza. I hope I will be able to book a guide ahead of time. My hubby is insistant on having plans in place.

Hi,

Just back this sunday from an amazing cruise to Bermuda :D

I did a private tour of the island with Mr.Roddie in his little blue cab.

He was great, great knowledge of the history of the island, great smile, very friendly. Took us where we wanted. We departed early in the morning ( 9 am ) so we were at all the touristic places just before the tour buses and we saved a bunch of time by being early :p

I would recommend his in a heartbeat but ..... he doesn't charge the "government regulated" 40$/hr. He goes by the fare meter so we ended up at around 50$/hr.

I asked him, after the first hour, why and he said it was a question of "not going nickel and dime on all of us" ??

Of course we could have ended the trip there but he really was great and would not take the chance on ending up with someone else whit a bad attitude ( yes we hit a couple of taxi driver not in the mood :mad: after that )

Don't hesitate to call or e-mail him and maybe insist on the 40$/hr. He his worth it :)

reds_bm@yahoo.com or 441.334.7003

Hello fellow cruisers!

I was the original poster for Colin Jennings (post #18) and I am thrilled at his well deserved success here on CC!!! When you think about it, no matter how many times he gives the same tour, and answers the same tourist questions, he always is so pleasant and cheerful!!

One of the times we (my BFF's and I) were in Bermuda, he came and sat on the beach at Horseshoe Bay for us while we eat, slept and snorkled! We got him a chair and an umbrella and he read his newspaper and had some beverages. We were able to stroll and take pictures, use the restroom and not worry about our things!! It was great!! (I paid him, of course:D) He was worth every penny!!!

Have a wonderful cruise and your day with Colin! -

Miriam from Pennsylvania

Colin finally got back to me and he wasn't available for the first two days, but he was for the 3rd day, so he's picking us up at 9 and we'll be back by 2. The ship departs at 4:30 so we should be fine. Now I really can't wait...10 days until I board Summit.

Colin finally got back to me and he wasn't available for the first two days, but he was for the 3rd day, so he's picking us up at 9 and we'll be back by 2. The ship departs at 4:30 so we should be fine. Now I really can't wait...10 days until I board Summit.

We are doing ours the last day also. Post back and tell us about it! :D

So glad you were able to book Colin. We're in Bermuda only 24 hrs on 6/18-6/19 and we felt that a private tour would help us see what we wanted to, especially since half of that time is a Sunday. We have Colin for 9 - 2 on Sunday and so looking forward to it.

So glad you were able to book Colin. We're in Bermuda only 24 hrs on 6/18-6/19 and we felt that a private tour would help us see what we wanted to, especially since half of that time is a Sunday. We have Colin for 9 - 2 on Sunday and so looking forward to it.

nctxmix, we are scheduled with Colin on 6/20. Like you, we are only there on the 6/20 and 6/21. Hope we both have a good time with Colin. Also, felt a private tour would help us see most of the island. Enjoy your cruise!!!

Hi Babygirl722,

We are booked with Colin in 3 weeks starting from the dockyard. Not sure what to ask to see other than the Lighthouse and the fort in St. George. What stops did you make on his recommendation and how long was your tour?

We are taking our grandchildren on their first cruise and would love to get a tour they will remember. We have a beginner snorkle trip on day one through the ship but would like to stop at beach in St. George if possible on day two with Colin. I have no idea how long it takes just to get to Fort St. Catharine's from the dockyard.

Thanks

Mary

I have enjoyed all of the posts and gotten lots of tips for our upcoming cruise to Bermuda. Most of the posters seem to be docked at the Dockyard but we will have a day in St George before our 2 full days in Hamilton. I will be going with my daughter and 2 grandchildren, aged 14 & 10, and want them to learn some Bermuda history and lore. That's why I'm considering a private tour. We'll go to the dockyard ourselves one day by ferry. Are there enough other sights to interest them for a short tour and maybe a drop off at a beach? Or can we do it ourselves on the buses and ferries? Thanks for any advice.

I have enjoyed all of the posts and gotten lots of tips for our upcoming cruise to Bermuda. Most of the posters seem to be docked at the Dockyard but we will have a day in St George before our 2 full days in Hamilton. I will be going with my daughter and 2 grandchildren, aged 14 & 10, and want them to learn some Bermuda history and lore. That's why I'm considering a private tour. We'll go to the dockyard ourselves one day by ferry. Are there enough other sights to interest them for a short tour and maybe a drop off at a beach? Or can we do it ourselves on the buses and ferries? Thanks for any advice.

We've done it ourselves the first few times and much of what there is to see can be done by bus and ferry. One thing that I would leave off the tour and do by bus is the aquarium which is right on the bus between Hamilton and St. George in Flatt's Village. It's worth checking out. We took my niece there four years ago and we're taking her brother there on this trip. Also, If you want to do the beach, you can reach Horseshoe Bay on the number 7 bus. If you get dropped off from a tour there, you can get the bus back to Hamilton.

We booked with Nadanja Bailey (tag number T1645) for a 3.5 hour tour with a number of stops for photos. He was recommended through a friend and we were very pleased. Nadanja's was funny and his van is nice and big with power windows along the side so you can get nice photos without leaving the vehicle if you want. His rate is the government rate of $40/hr for 1-4 people and $55/hr for 5-6 people.

We had him pick us up at 0900 at the Dockyards and drop us off in Hamilton for lunch and we took the ferry back to ship. We wanted to spend the most time possible touring rather than riding the van all the way back the way we came.

If I was to do over I think I would have had the driver end at Tobacco Bay and spend the afternoon at the beach. It was so inviting and starting early there was plenty of time to do that.

Nadanja's email is image2entertainment@yahoo.com

Hi Babygirl722,

We are booked with Colin in 3 weeks starting from the dockyard. Not sure what to ask to see other than the Lighthouse and the fort in St. George. What stops did you make on his recommendation and how long was your tour?

We are taking our grandchildren on their first cruise and would love to get a tour they will remember. We have a beginner snorkle trip on day one through the ship but would like to stop at beach in St. George if possible on day two with Colin. I have no idea how long it takes just to get to Fort St. Catharine's from the dockyard.

Thanks

Mary

Hi!

It really depends on the day of the week, how many ships are on the island and the time of day. However, I would say it takes Colin about 45 to 55 minutes on average to get to St. George if he doesn't need to stop for pictures that you might want to take along the way. My advice is to tell him immediately what you want, make a plan and then just enjoy the ride! He's wonderful!

- Miriam

Clancy14 (Miriam)

DD (15) and I are booked with Colin in July. Requested that he stop at the lighthouse, and a beach of his choice (as long as it has pink sand and some snorkeling). Is there anything else that you fell is a must see, or should we just leave the rest of the day up to Colin?? Thanks for your in put. Your recommendations helped us decide to do an island tour. Usually we spend most of our port time snorkeling,diving or shopping.

So I need some help, because I have emailed both colin and Duke and netiher one has gotten back to me. I need a van that can hold at least 6 ppl and now everyone in my group wants to go with us.

We could be 12 all total. I have heard such great things about both these guys and would really like to book them.

Does anyone have phone numbers so that instead of emailing, I would just call to see if they can do it.

Thanks to all you guys for helping out!

Hi! - I have been to Bermuda many times and had the great good fortune to meet COLIN JENNINGS, another Blue Flagged private taxi driver. He is a great tour guide. He'll do the entire island with you, stop whereever and whenever you want, direct you to nice restaurants based on your likes/dislikes, you can leave your souvenirs in his vehicle while you shop/eat etc. He brings bread to feed the fish at Somerset Bridge, is waiting at the dock for you, has plastic for you to sit on after a day at Horseshoe Bay Beach (or wherever you decide to go to). He is a former soccer player for the Bermuda National Team and is a fountain of knowledge about his native land. He waited patiently while we climbed Gibbs Hill Lighthouse and never minded the dozens of questions that members of my party asked him.

His information is: Colin Jennings, 1-441-799-2959 (cell#), email is: colinjenningstaxi@yahoo.com (he checks it every other day or so-he's very busy!). His rate is the standard fee, $ 40.00 per hour (based on 1-4 passengers). I have sent other people to him from my business here in Pennsylvania and they all came back raving about him.......................

Enjoy!! - Miriam

This should help!

This should help!

Hi Miriam,

I have tried to contact Colin Jennings thru email and by phone. I'm not having any luck. My emails go unanswered and by phone, he picked up but then we were disconnected. I left a message but really think I need to move on. Do you know of anyone else that I can contact concerning a tour of Bermuda?

This is my very first post on Cruise Critic so i hope you get it.

:)

My wife and i just returned from our first cruise on Celebrity on the Summit and our first time to Bermuda. We were a bit confused as to what to do or where to go.

We ended up taking a snorkeling tour from Jessie James Cruises which picked us up right at the floating dock in front of the ship. It was ok but more for the experienced snorkeler. The water was way to COOOOOLLD!!!! for me.:eek:

We did the ship organized Famous Beaches of Bermuda which was ok. It allowed us about 2.5 hours of beach time on a secluded beach but the tour train ride was forever and a bit rough.

My wife has some back issues.

We also bought the Ferry and Bus pass for our last day there to go see Hamilton. We were there about an hour and a half via Ferry from Kings Wharf. We messed up on the bus in Hamilton and by the time we had figured out where we were going, we had to get back because the ship was leaving. All in all it was a learning experience so we are going back again in September this time buying the three day ferry and bus pass, staying away from water sports, and being much more educated that our first trip.

Lots more to see there including St. Georges

Have fun.

Colin was very prompt picking us up last week and we had a great time picking and choosing what you wanted to do while he waited for us, also took us to some interesting places! If you want to go to St Georges just for a quick "overview" using him for that might be worthwhile... there isn't as much as there was to do there unless you go to beach, Fort St Catherine etc.. an hour or so would do you....

We did climb all 185 steps to top of lighthouse (ouch) and then the 85 steps down and then up from Fantasy caves (more ouch!).. my feet didn't love me for that.. had to choose bet. caves due to lack of time but we loved Fantasy Caves.. that being said you can do both Crystal and Fantasy for $27 in about 1-1/2 hrs total

We had him leave us off in Hamilton to get ferry back to Dockyard which as I posted earlier .. ferry doesn't go at 4:00 from Hamilton to dockyard.. so 3:30 or 4:30 is it... we didn't look ahead of time but it was not big deal for us but there sure was a line at 4:30!:eek:

I e-mailed him yesterday asking about August 29 or 30th..he got back to me today :D and told me he had the 29th open and recommended a 9:30 pick up...I was so happy to have such a quick reply ..I E-mailed him back that I reaklly wanted to book him and he E-mailed me againt hat we were good to go....I feel really lucky cause he seems so highly rated on CC. :D sorry for the misspelling it's Duke Soares

I guess we are on the same ship. Duke just emailed me saying the 29th is booked so i guess its you lol. I might take the 30th. Explorer of the seas.

• Administrators

I wanted to thank everyone for their contributions to threads like this. We had a wonderful day with Duke last week in Bermuda -- we spent 8 hours touring with him and it was just a great, easy way to get an overall "feel" for the island and to stop and spend time wherever we wanted. These folks mostly are one-person businesses, so you might have to be a bit persistent with emails, etc. (That said, Duke was very prompt in his communications with us).

I hope everyone enjoys Bermuda as much as we did!

I wanted to thank everyone for their contributions to threads like this. We had a wonderful day with Duke last week in Bermuda -- we spent 8 hours touring with him and it was just a great, easy way to get an overall "feel" for the island and to stop and spend time wherever we wanted. These folks mostly are one-person businesses, so you might have to be a bit persistent with emails, etc. (That said, Duke was very prompt in his communications with us).

I hope everyone enjoys Bermuda as much as we did!

He emailed me today. He is free aug 30 so i might book him. How much did it run you? $55 an hour for 2 adults and 3 kids is kinda much considering the kids are only being wAtched as opposed to sight seeing since all they want is pool beach abd junk food lol.