Journey Venice to Athens May 2nd 2010

nooosey

I can record positive views on this 7 day cruise being our second on Journey the first being exactly one year ago.

Cruise Critic numbers were below the specified 25 and emails were sent out informing members that a meet and mingle would not be possible however on boarding an invitation card was in the stateroom for a meeting on the first afternoon, free champagne and nibbles were handed out and present were Tony the Cruise Director, Bar manager, Hotel Manager, Azamara Club hostess, Spa Manager, and one or two other staff, we had a very friendly meeting and all appreciated this unexpected party.

The new Azamara benefits of wine with meals, complimentary sodas, coffees at Cova Cafe, no gratuity on drinks or service went down very well. We felt that the staff were positively behind these measures and service was as good as last year when the tipping policy was in force.

We were top tier of “Le Club” being Celebrity Elite and benefitted from a lot of internet time, one bag of laundry which was quick and nicely pressed, Officers Party, invitation to tour Bridge, Engine control room and Galley. We were too busy to take up some of the other benefits.

We especially enjoyed one evening in Breezes/ Windows where an Indian Food Buffet was held, on one evening an on deck party was preceded by a Greek Buffet, the Officers on one day served an on deck barbecue lunch.

At the end of the cruise we were invited to another Cruise Critic party when we discussed our opinions with Tony and a couple of other officers, everyone was very positive and although Azamara is work in progress they are certainly getting there. The smallish ships are very comfortable, quite luxurious and easy to get around.

Main criticisms were poor website and poor backup from Head Office.

Hi Nooosey !

Thanks for your update. Im happy to hear you had a good time onboard. Thanks for filling us in, regarding the Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle, and onboard benefits. Welcome Home !

I have a question that you may be able to answer since you just returned from your cruise.

I just finished reading a very disturbing thread in Celebrity that cabins are "prepped" the night before disembarkation. That is, robes for the next passengers are put into the closets, refrigerators locked, etc.

Do you (or anyone reading this thread) recall if anything similar has been done or is being done on Azamara?

We have not experienced this on our 3 Azamara cruises. Having previously sailed with Celebrity many times and experiencing the pre-departure stripdown, we actually commented on it when our 1st Azamara cruise was ending.

I have a question that you may be able to answer since you just returned from your cruise.

I just finished reading a very disturbing thread in Celebrity that cabins are "prepped" the night before disembarkation. That is, robes for the next passengers are put into the closets, refrigerators locked, etc.

Do you (or anyone reading this thread) recall if anything similar has been done or is being done on Azamara?

Not for us on Quest and not on Century either. We had a "problem" on SilverSea last year as at first I thought they had hung our robes for us but realized they were for the next passengers.

Not for us on Quest and not on Century either. We had a "problem" on SilverSea last year as at first I thought they had hung our robes for us but realized they were for the next passengers.

Wow. Silversea?

There have been many, many posts about it happening on Celebrity, and I find it disconcerting. That means the "new, fresh robes" we find in our closet might not be so fresh.

Wow. Silversea?

That means the "new, fresh robes" we find in our closet might not be so fresh.

Did you really think that they would buy brand new robes after each cruise?

noosey - thank you for the review. Glad to read good things about Azamara.

No problem at all on last morning, full breakfast buffet as on all other mornings, I have noticed reduced stations for cooked foods on some ships, NOT on Journey, we stayed in the cabin until we were called at about 9:00am, no pressure to vacate at all.

I remember some years ago on a Celebrity ship returning to the cabin after breakfast and finding the bathroom locked by the room attendant,this leaves a bad final impression of the cruise. Azamara want your repeat business and try hard to please in all aspects.

Heiki the Hotel Manager was constantly in touch with the civil disruption problems in Athens to make sure that our disembarkation would not be affected, she was also able to advise those staying on in Athens which areas of town to avoid.

we were not "elite" but had all the benefits mentioned by Nooosey possibly because we were B2B. Also a large bottle of champagne placed in our cabin for second week. Not being drinkers, we gave it to the fabulous piano player-singer-entertainer Dan whose wonderful talent we enjoyed every nite in Cova. Having sailed the previous summer, we were welcomed back like family by many of the staff who were still onboard. A real sense of community -hard to find on the larger ships. Food and service was fabulous. Tried a sip or two of the house wines and enjoyed them. Wished they would allow us free San Pelligrino in lieu of the wine, but with so much shipboard credit it wasn't a burden to purchase it. The pool grill food was as delicious as the buffet and the dining room. I loved that on port days, there was still service available pool-side.

Tours were ok - nothing spectacular. Tendering even with my walker was easy - staff very helpful. One woman with a scooter missed nothing, due to helpful staff, and the use of on-board wheel chairs. My only complaint was the poor web service - tons of free minutes and not useful. I would have liked some on-board lectures, but not sure that I would have found the time!

Archived