New to HAL and Deluxe Suites - Some Questions!

alexandria

Hello all! Thanks for the many great threads on the HAL board, I've been reading and following many of them since we booked our first HAL cruise last year which is coming up in a few short weeks.

We just accepted an upsell from an SS to an SA on the Oosterdam and have some questions. I searched and read as many of the deluxe suite threads as I could find using the search feature but still have a few unanswered questions.

Here goes!

• Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning throughout your cruise. Are bags provided already in the cabin with a form to fill out for your preferences (hanger, folded, dry cleaned, etc.). Do you give it to your room steward or is there a number to call to have it picked up or how does that work?
  • Premium duvet, oversize bath towels and soft, cotton bathrobes and slippers. Okay...dumb question. Are the slippers new (can't imagine wearing a "recycled" slipper :p) and do we get to keep them after the cruise? I assume the robes are not new and don't come home with us unless we purchase them onboard. Is that correct?

• Gorgeous corsages and boutonnieres for the first formal night.
  • Hors d'oeuvres served before dinner each evening on request. I understand we arrange those through the Neptune Lounge concierge, correct? Can you tell us what to expect as far as what kinds of hors d'oevres are served and if there is a menu to select from or if they just bring a selection.

• Binoculars and umbrellas for your use on the cruise.
  • Cocktail party with ship officers. I understand that is usually held the first night (embarkation day?) and usually in the Neptune Lounge between the early seating and late seating. Is that correct? Anyone from a recent Oosterdam that can update?

• Priority boarding for tender ports of call. Just one tender port in Alaska (Sitka) so would we get boarding tickets from the Neptune Lounge concierge or how does that work?

• Special disembarkation service. It looks like that consists of being able to wait in the Neptune Lounge for our color to be called, correct? Any other perks for disembarkation, like the ability to choose our time to debark? It also looks like there is a different line or area for suite passengers to check in, is that the case in Seattle?

• Priority dining and seating requests. We already are confirmed for early fixed seating. Can we request a table for two for fixed dining as we celebrate our anniversary on this cruise? Should we do that in advance through our travel agent? If we can't get that request fulfilled, would we be better off switching to open seating once we board and ask for a table for two for our preferred time for the week through the concierge?

• Exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only. This is in the Pinnacle Grill same time and menu as the dining room, correct?

• High tea service in suite on request. Is this different from the afternoon tea served onboard as far as the teas or food items?

• A special Suite guest lunch event on cruises over 7 days in length. So for the Oosterdam Alaska cruise which is seven nights, this would likely not take place?

• A very special amenity exclusively for guests cruising in a Deluxe Verandah Suite or Penthouse Verandah Suite, the industry-leading Neptune Lounge features a private place to relax, socialize with other suite guests and enjoy the personalized service of a concierge. The fleet-wide lounges provide worktables, large screen television, library, sofas and chairs, refreshments throughout the day and wi-fi for a small charge. One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service is available when the Neptune Lounge is closed. Are there disposable cups for the coffee/espresso machine so we can get a cup and walk around on deck? I know there are certain hours where snacks are available but is the coffee/expresso machine available 24 hours on the Vista ships (since I understand you use a key card to gain entry into the Neptune Lounge) in case I want a cup during the bright Alaska nights?

Also, we have the Westin Seattle booked for one night before the cruise and one night after. (Booked on Priceline so non-refundable). I read on a few threads that HAL provides a one night pre-cruise hotel room for Deluxe Suite passengers in Alaska at the Fairmont Olympic. Is that still the case? Any thought on whether I should take advantage of that as far as quality of the accomodations or other benefits (I read something about luggage transfers from the hotel to the ship, didn't know if that was included or not)? Should I contact our travel agent to arrange that with HAL?

Any other hints or tips so that we will most enjoy our deluxe suite?

Thanks for your help with these questions. I want to make the most of our trip and since I spent ten months planning for an SS category, only to be upgraded, now I only have two and a half weeks to plan for our SA!

Hello all! Thanks for the many great threads on the HAL board, I've been reading and following many of them since we booked our first HAL cruise last year which is coming up in a few short weeks.

We just accepted an upsell from an SS to an SA on the Oosterdam and have some questions. I searched and read as many of the deluxe suite threads as I could find using the search feature but still have a few unanswered questions.

Here goes!

• Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning throughout your cruise. Are bags provided already in the cabin with a form to fill out for your preferences (hanger, folded, dry cleaned, etc.). Do you give it to your room steward or is there a number to call to have it picked up or how does that work? There is a bag in the closet with the order form -- you mark off what you want done with the various items -- you mark off whether you want items washed or dry cleaned. You also mark off if you want the items returned on hangers or folded in a basket. You can also mark off if you want something starched.
  • Premium duvet, oversize bath towels and soft, cotton bathrobes and slippers. Okay...dumb question. Are the slippers new (can't imagine wearing a "recycled" slipper :p) and do we get to keep them after the cruise? I assume the robes are not new and don't come home with us unless we purchase them onboard. Is that correct? The slippers are new -- come in a sealed package -- you can take them home with you. The robes are the ones used for all the cruises. If you want to buy them -- $50 per robe -- you will get new ones.

• Hors d'oeuvres served before dinner each evening on request. I understand we arrange those through the Neptune Lounge concierge, correct? Can you tell us what to expect as far as what kinds of hors d'oevres are served and if there is a menu to select from or if they just bring a selection.Yes this is done through the concierge in the Neptune Lounge - she has a list for you to choose from. You also select the time you want them delivered.

• Cocktail party with ship officers. I understand that is usually held the first night (embarkation day?) and usually in the Neptune Lounge between the early seating and late seating. Is that correct? Anyone from a recent Oosterdam that can update? It can be held usually around 7:15 or 7:30 -- order any drink you want. We have been on ships where this was NOT held.

• Priority boarding for tender ports of call. Just one tender port in Alaska (Sitka) so would we get boarding tickets from the Neptune Lounge concierge or how does that work?You do not get a tender ticket. Just go down to the tender area, get at the end of the line and show them your ID card.

• Special disembarkation service. It looks like that consists of being able to wait in the Neptune Lounge for our color to be called, correct? Any other perks for disembarkation, like the ability to choose our time to debark? It also looks like there is a different line or area for suite passengers to check in, is that the case in Seattle? Yes there will be a separate Delux Suite Check-in line in Seattle. The first full day of the cruise you will be given a form to complete to indicate what your plans are for the end of the cruise. HAL uses the silent disembarkation (99% of the time) -- you will be assigned a time according to what you filled out on that form. You can stay in your cabin or anywhere else until it is your time to leave the ship.

• Priority dining and seating requests. We already are confirmed for early fixed seating. Can we request a table for two for fixed dining as we celebrate our anniversary on this cruise? Should we do that in advance through our travel agent? If we can't get that request fulfilled, would we be better off switching to open seating once we board and ask for a table for two for our preferred time for the week through the concierge?Your TA needs to request your table size now. Should you switch to the Open Dining venus -- the concierge can only do so much for you -- a request for a table for 2 at a certain for only a couple of days at a time. Reservations in the Opening Dining can not be made for the entire week at one time.

• Exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only. This is in the Pinnacle Grill same time and menu as the dining room, correct? Yes

• High tea service in suite on request. Is this different from the afternoon tea served onboard as far as the teas or food items? Slightly different as they slect a few items to deliver to your cabin.

• A special Suite guest lunch event on cruises over 7 days in length. So for the Oosterdam Alaska cruise which is seven nights, this would likely not take place? Very rarely have we had the special suite lunch on a 7 day cruise. And never in Alaska.

• A very special amenity exclusively for guests cruising in a Deluxe Verandah Suite or Penthouse Verandah Suite, the industry-leading Neptune Lounge features a private place to relax, socialize with other suite guests and enjoy the personalized service of a concierge. The fleet-wide lounges provide worktables, large screen television, library, sofas and chairs, refreshments throughout the day and wi-fi for a small charge. One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service is available when the Neptune Lounge is closed. Are there disposable cups for the coffee/espresso machine so we can get a cup and walk around on deck? I know there are certain hours where snacks are available but is the coffee/expresso machine available 24 hours on the Vista ships (since I understand you use a key card to gain entry into the Neptune Lounge) in case I want a cup during the bright Alaska nights? Yes you use your ID card to get into the Neptune Lounge -- open between 7 AM - 8 PM. There are snacks available all day -- great continental breakfast. Only on a couple of ships have I seen paper cups that you could use to carry your coffee around on the ship (from the Neptune Lounge).

Also, we have the Westin Seattle booked for one night before the cruise and one night after. (Booked on Priceline so non-refundable). I read on a few threads that HAL provides a one night pre-cruise hotel room for Deluxe Suite passengers in Alaska at the Fairmont Olympic. Is that still the case? Any thought on whether I should take advantage of that as far as quality of the accomodations or other benefits (I read something about luggage transfers from the hotel to the ship, didn't know if that was included or not)? Should I contact our travel agent to arrange that with HAL?

Thanks for your help with these questions. I want to make the most of our trip and since I spent ten months planning for an SS category, only to be upgraded, now I only have two and a half weeks to plan for our SA!

Have your TA check with Seattle about the free night at the Fairmont -- and yes your luggage does go on the bus with you to the pier if you decide to stay there.

We had the special suite lunch in the Pinnacle on our Alaska cruise on the Ryndam (2008). It was lovely. On the recent NYC-Bermuda (veendam) special lunch, I am told that by the time the main couse came, so many of the guests had already left due to seasickness. I say we were told because we did not go - my husband was seasick!

Here goes!

• Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning throughout your cruise. Are bags provided already in the cabin with a form to fill out for your preferences (hanger, folded, dry cleaned, etc.). Do you give it to your room steward or is there a number to call to have it picked up or how does that work? Yes, bags are provided. I think the laundry has to be out by 9am to receive that evening. Just give to room steward. This is a great suite perk!
  • Premium duvet, oversize bath towels and soft, cotton bathrobes and slippers. Okay...dumb question. Are the slippers new (can't imagine wearing a "recycled" slipper :p) and do we get to keep them after the cruise? I assume the robes are not new and don't come home with us unless we purchase them onboard. Is that correct? Well, I am wearing my suite slippers right now! Yes, they are new when you get them and free. We love the robes but must be purchased to take home.

• Hors d'oeuvres served before dinner each evening on request. I understand we arrange those through the Neptune Lounge concierge, correct? Can you tell us what to expect as far as what kinds of hors d'oevres are served and if there is a menu to select from or if they just bring a selection. The hors d'oevres are available at Neptune and no menu is available (as far as I know). They are mostly little breads with shrimp, pate etc on top. I enjoyed them!

• Cocktail party with ship officers. I understand that is usually held the first night (embarkation day?) and usually in the Neptune Lounge between the early seating and late seating. Is that correct? Anyone from a recent Oosterdam that can update? We didn't go to this but I think the invite was the first night.

• Priority boarding for tender ports of call. Just one tender port in Alaska (Sitka) so would we get boarding tickets from the Neptune Lounge concierge or how does that work? We were told to just show our key card and that would get us priority. Suite key cards are gold while others are blue.

• Special disembarkation service. It looks like that consists of being able to wait in the Neptune Lounge for our color to be called, correct? Any other perks for disembarkation, like the ability to choose our time to debark? It also looks like there is a different line or area for suite passengers to check in, is that the case in Seattle? We didn't notice any special area for disembarkation...just waited in our room. At embarkation they do have a special suite line which is a nice perk.

• Priority dining and seating requests. We already are confirmed for early fixed seating. Can we request a table for two for fixed dining as we celebrate our anniversary on this cruise? Should we do that in advance through our travel agent? If we can't get that request fulfilled, would we be better off switching to open seating once we board and ask for a table for two for our preferred time for the week through the concierge? I would request it in advance and also verify your table size as soon as you embark. I would think a suite person would get priority over table requests but am not sure. We always get a large table and have never been disappointed.

• Exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only. This is in the Pinnacle Grill same time and menu as the dining room, correct? We never went to PG for breakfast.

• High tea service in suite on request. Is this different from the afternoon tea served onboard as far as the teas or food items? Don't know...sorry!

• A special Suite guest lunch event on cruises over 7 days in length. So for the Oosterdam Alaska cruise which is seven nights, this would likely not take place? Yes, most likely not. On our 7 day mexico there was not a suite lunch.

• A very special amenity exclusively for guests cruising in a Deluxe Verandah Suite or Penthouse Verandah Suite, the industry-leading Neptune Lounge features a private place to relax, socialize with other suite guests and enjoy the personalized service of a concierge. The fleet-wide lounges provide worktables, large screen television, library, sofas and chairs, refreshments throughout the day and wi-fi for a small charge. One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service is available when the Neptune Lounge is closed. Are there disposable cups for the coffee/espresso machine so we can get a cup and walk around on deck? I know there are certain hours where snacks are available but is the coffee/expresso machine available 24 hours on the Vista ships (since I understand you use a key card to gain entry into the Neptune Lounge) in case I want a cup during the bright Alaska nights? I love the Neptune! No, there aren't any disposable cups (as far as I know). I think the Neptune closes at 8pm and you cannot get in to get a late night coffee.

We have had an SA suite and recently a SC suite on the "O". I've answere questions as best I can above. Have Fun!

Thanks for everybody's help! For those seasoned Deluxe Suite travelers, would it be considered poor form to fill a travel mug in the Neptune Lounge to carry on deck (i.e., at Glacier Bay, etc.)?

Also, I read that the complimentary bottle of champagne and the complimentary bottle of water are hit or miss (they aren't mentioned online but are listed in the most recent cruise brochures as a Deluxe Suite perk), so if we receive the bottle of champagne, is it considered rude to exchange it for a bottle of wine at dinner (and if not, what do they credit towards it)?

I'll answer the questions I can!

• Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning throughout your cruise. Are bags provided already in the cabin with a form to fill out for your preferences (hanger, folded, dry cleaned, etc.). Do you give it to your room steward or is there a number to call to have it picked up or how does that work? Yes, bags and lists. We usually ask for two bags and two lists; one for laundry and one for drycleaning. If you turn it in by 9:00, you should get it back late the next day, so I ask our steward to stop in every day at 9:00.

• Gorgeous corsages and boutonnieres for the first formal night. Well, if you call a carnation gorgeous!

• Hors d'oeuvres served before dinner each evening on request. I understand we arrange those through the Neptune Lounge concierge, correct? Can you tell us what to expect as far as what kinds of hors d'oevres are served and if there is a menu to select from or if they just bring a selection. We ordered a hot assortment once—it was way too much and not too great. Ever since, if we want hors d'oeuvre, we pop into the Neptune (cold).

• Binoculars and umbrellas for your use on the cruise. One of each.

• Cocktail party with ship officers. I understand that is usually held the first night (embarkation day?) and usually in the Neptune Lounge between the early seating and late seating. Is that correct? Anyone from a recent Oosterdam that can update? Correct.

• Priority boarding for tender ports of call. Just one tender port in Alaska (Sitka) so would we get boarding tickets from the Neptune Lounge concierge or how does that work? Just head for the tender when you wish, no ticket needed.

• Special disembarkation service. It looks like that consists of being able to wait in the Neptune Lounge for our color to be called, correct? Any other perks for disembarkation, like the ability to choose our time to debark? It also looks like there is a different line or area for suite passengers to check in, is that the case in Seattle? You fill out a form for when you want to disembark and you get that time. You can actually wait in your room to disembark. (Though I seem to remember getting a black tag, black was called first, but we didn't get off till 9:30.) Yes special line to check in. Be sure to look for it or ask someone because they're not always alert about directing you to it.

• Priority dining and seating requests. We already are confirmed for early fixed seating. Can we request a table for two for fixed dining as we celebrate our anniversary on this cruise? Should we do that in advance through our travel agent? If we can't get that request fulfilled, would we be better off switching to open seating once we board and ask for a table for two for our preferred time for the week through the concierge? Here's a map of the dining room. Request a specific table beforehand if possible. If not, I'd go personally to the dining room as soon as I boarded. http://www.wa70.com/hal/dining/upperlevelvista.jpg
  • A special Suite guest lunch event on cruises over 7 days in length. So for the Oosterdam Alaska cruise which is seven nights, this would likely not take place? It seems to me we have always had a suite lunch, but maybe they are cutting back.

• A very special amenity exclusively for guests cruising in a Deluxe Verandah Suite or Penthouse Verandah Suite, the industry-leading Neptune Lounge features a private place to relax, socialize with other suite guests and enjoy the personalized service of a concierge. The fleet-wide lounges provide worktables, large screen television, library, sofas and chairs, refreshments throughout the day and wi-fi for a small charge. One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service is available when the Neptune Lounge is closed. Are there disposable cups for the coffee/espresso machine so we can get a cup and walk around on deck? I know there are certain hours where snacks are available but is the coffee/expresso machine available 24 hours on the Vista ships (since I understand you use a key card to gain entry into the Neptune Lounge) in case I want a cup during the bright Alaska nights? The Neptune is only open from 7 am - 7pm (with the occasional variation). I don't remember disposable cups; rather nice china. I prefer the mugs from the Lido, so I snag one early on and keep it in my room. Snacks are available from 7-7 in the NL as well; the types vary according to the time of day. I do think coffee is always available in the Lido; at least I have been up there very early before the NL opens.

Hope this helps and that I'm not too far off base.

Thanks for everybody's help! For those seasoned Deluxe Suite travelers, would it be considered poor form to fill a travel mug in the Neptune Lounge to carry on deck (i.e., at Glacier Bay, etc.)?

Also, I read that the complimentary bottle of champagne and the complimentary bottle of water are hit or miss (they aren't mentioned online but are listed in the most recent cruise brochures as a Deluxe Suite perk), so if we receive the bottle of champagne, is it considered rude to exchange it for a bottle of wine at dinner (and if not, what do they credit towards it)?

Yes -- you can fill you mug in the Neptune Lounge -- have one of the workers help you fill it as only a cup will fit under the nossle of the machine.

When HAL switched to the cheap Pol Clemente a few years ago we just turned it into the concierge and paid the difference of what it is worth (which varies by ship) to get a wine that we like. So far we have gotten the free bottles on all our cruises -- but I have read here where some people didn't get the champagne.

The suite lunches I am thinking about were lovely buffet type things in the Crow's Nest: shrimp, spring rolls, satays, fruit, crepes suzette, champagne, wine. The last one was a sit-down Indonesian deal, possibly in the Pinnacle.

We have a staycation package with Fairmont Olympic. Because of our SA room, we are only being charged for taxes and will receive travel to the hotel and then travel to Pier 91.

The Fairmont looks lovely and the price is right!

Oh, I would LOVE an Indonesian lunch in the Pinnacle...sounds delicious!

As far as the pre-cruise hotel, HAL tells our TA that they do not offer the complimentary night at the Fairmont Olympic when the SA is a purchased upgrade, only for what they call a "full-fare" suite at the time of booking. Not a big deal since our room at the Westin is non-refundable.

The suite lunches I am thinking about were lovely buffet type things in the Crow's Nest: shrimp, spring rolls, satays, fruit, crepes suzette, champagne, wine. The last one was a sit-down Indonesian deal, possibly in the Pinnacle.

Years ago we had the suite buffet either in the Crow's Nest or the Explorer's Lounge -- whatever drink you wanted. Some of them we had the crepes.

We have had some suite lunches that were buffet style in the Pinnacle. And some that were the sit down Indonesian lunch in the dining room -- upper level of the dining room.

But since HAL started the Mariner's Brunch -- now the suite luncheon had changed to a sit down luncheon in the Pinnacle -- on ships that do them.

Sail and sip, what exactly is a staycation package? We have never in all our years of booking suites gotten a free hotel room thrown in. Does your TA know something ours doesn't?

is it considered rude to exchange it for a bottle of wine at dinner (and if not, what do they credit towards it)?

Of course it's not rude... do what you wish.

We exchanged our bottle of champagne for 5 diet cokes by notifying the Neptune Lounge concierge. ;)

As for as disembarkation we always wait in our suite and we prefer to be the last called.

Enjoy your SA suite, that's the only way to go!

I read about the possibility on cc and asked my TA to look into it. Reading cruise critic has saved us hundreds of dollars! It is a promotion they were/are offering. I did see it advertised on HAL's website but am not sure where. I hope you can also get this.

The SA level is worth it.

You're going to be totally spoiled.

Wife and I won't book anything else.

The Neptune is my home away from home.

Anything I want is arranged right there and you're going to love that big coffee machine.

Supposedly HLS ships don't have classes. Watch what happens when you pull out the beige card and not the blue one.

Getting on and off is anytime you want. You hav epriority. Didn't happen last cruise though. Lot's of very unhappy people.

Have a blast and use every amenity they give

Gramps

The china in the Neptune Lounge is Rosenthal. I wouldn't traipse around the ship with it. There's always mugs and coffee in the Lido that are handy to carry around. Most mornings i go up to the Lido about 5AM, grab a cup of coffee and go down the the Explorations Lounge and read for a while. Then it's out on deck to wtch the sunrise.

The china in the Neptune Lounge is Rosenthal. I wouldn't traipse around the ship with it. There's always mugs and coffee in the Lido that are handy to carry around. Most mornings i go up to the Lido about 5AM, grab a cup of coffee and go down the the Explorations Lounge and read for a while. Then it's out on deck to wtch the sunrise.

That's what I was afraid of judging by this photo (thanks Joanie) of the famous Neptune Lounge coffee machine and china: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Noordam/Neptune_Lounge-3.jpg

Looks like a travel mug is our best bet for taking coffee out on deck in Glacier Bay and such so I'll be sure to pack one.

Thanks all for the great advice!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, one more question for those Deluxe Suite experts...

We board on Sunday and it looks like our first formal night is on Monday. I'm bringing my tux since we are going to renew our vows (shhhhh, please don't tell the missus, it is a surprise) but am concerned about travel wrinkles. I know we will get complimentary dry cleaning and pressing but wasn't clear on how long that takes.

Some posts seem to indicate that if you have it ready for your room steward by 9am it is usually back the following afternoon/evening but I've seen others that I read to mean that it is often back the same day. Can anyone enlighten me? I'd be concerned about sending my tux out for pressing when we board and not have it back in time for early seating the following evening, but I also don't want to wear a wrinkled one either!

Okay, one more question for those Deluxe Suite experts...

We board on Sunday and it looks like our first formal night is on Monday. I'm bringing my tux since we are going to renew our vows (shhhhh, please don't tell the missus, it is a surprise) but am concerned about travel wrinkles. I know we will get complimentary dry cleaning and pressing but wasn't clear on how long that takes.

Some posts seem to indicate that if you have it ready for your room steward by 9am it is usually back the following afternoon/evening but I've seen others that I read to mean that it is often back the same day. Can anyone enlighten me? I'd be concerned about sending my tux out for pressing when we board and not have it back in time for early seating the following evening, but I also don't want to wear a wrinkled one either!

Your cabin steward will be happy to help.

I would unpack the tuxedo and give it to the cabin steward after boarding on the first night. Advise him that you wish to wear it the next evening (and even confide in him about the renewal of vows) and he'll make sure it's back in plenty of time. Pressing doesn't take nearly as long as dry cleaning, but there can be a backlog for formal night.

Congratulations on your Renewal of Vows. It is a lovely, touching experience.

Thanks for the info. I don't know yet when the vow renewal will be yet, HAL says it is scheduled at the discretion of the captain and we'll find out once we are on board when they have it tentatively scheduled. However, I didn't want to just send the tux out for pressing for formal night and be sitting there in my underpants (as John Heald would say) in our cabin fifteen minutes before dinner wondering where my tux was.

Thanks for the info. I don't know yet when the vow renewal will be yet, HAL says it is scheduled at the discretion of the captain and we'll find out once we are on board when they have it tentatively scheduled. However, I didn't want to just send the tux out for pressing for formal night and be sitting there in my underpants (as John Heald would say) in our cabin fifteen minutes before dinner wondering where my tux was.

Others may have had a different experience, but we've attended two Vow Renewals and each was on a formal night. Might be something they try to do so that the guests/officers/hostess are all in their best ....

I would love to get some info on where you see the free hotel stay on the HAL site? We have a suite booked for Alaska from Vancouver and I wonder if there is a similar offer available?

Archived