Confused about Tipping

Moondoggy51

Being English I find it hard to fathom the tipping system. In restaurants over here there is no 15% automatically added on. If my waiter is pleasant and helpful I will happily tip them and tip more than the average person in this country would.

I worked in a 4 star hotel for 5 years throught college and university, doing the evening shift for the housekeeping department. My job involved propably about 20-30 ad hoc requests from guests per night, ie getting them, ironing boards, extra linen etc. All of these being items beyond the norm and I would go out of my way to make sure everyone got what they wanted. How many tips did I get in 5 years - not one. But I never considered this an issue as I was just doing my job.

Now I'm about to go on my first cruise and princess expect from me, the mrs and my 2 year old daughter a total on $31.50 a day. My daughter is 2 years old, therefore classed as a child and it just cost me £1,000 for her to cruise. Yet as she is not 3 she isn't old enough to be left in the kids clubs! But I'm expected to pay $10.50 a day tipping for her. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I heard that little gem.

Then with reagrds to tips from me and the mrs. Another $21.00 a day between us. Apparently (if Princess don't keep a chunk themselves) this money is split between everyone inlcuding, as people say, the painters etc. So I've spent £4,300 on a cruise and I'm expected to pay on top of that for the upkeep of the ships décor! That's hilarious.

The first thing I'll be doing onboard is removing the automatic tipping. Then i'll happily tip in cash anyone who goes above and beyond for me.

Being English I find it hard to fathom the tipping system. In restaurants over here there is no 15% automatically added on. If my waiter is pleasant and helpful I will happily tip them and tip more than the average person in this country would.

I worked in a 4 star hotel for 5 years throught college and university, doing the evening shift for the housekeeping department. My job involved propably about 20-30 ad hoc requests from guests per night, ie getting them, ironing boards, extra linen etc. All of these being items beyond the norm and I would go out of my way to make sure everyone got what they wanted. How many tips did I get in 5 years - not one. But I never considered this an issue as I was just doing my job.

Now I'm about to go on my first cruise and princess expect from me, the mrs and my 2 year old daughter a total on $31.50 a day. My daughter is 2 years old, therefore classed as a child and it just cost me £1,000 for her to cruise. Yet as she is not 3 she isn't old enough to be left in the kids clubs! But I'm expected to pay $10.50 a day tipping for her. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I heard that little gem.

Then with reagrds to tips from me and the mrs. Another $21.00 a day between us. Apparently (if Princess don't keep a chunk themselves) this money is split between everyone inlcuding, as people say, the painters etc. So I've spent £4,300 on a cruise and I'm expected to pay on top of that for the upkeep of the ships décor! That's hilarious.

The first thing I'll be doing onboard is removing the automatic tipping. Then i'll happily tip in cash anyone who goes above and beyond for me.

You will be defeating your purpose, if you remove the auto tipping, whatever tips you hand out will have to go into the auto tipping pool, for equal distribution, and the person that you wanted to reward, will only get his share of the pool!! It's better to leave the auto tip in Place.

Cato :( :confused:

You will be defeating your purpose, if you remove the auto tipping, whatever tips you hand out will have to go into the auto tipping pool, for equal distribution, and the person that you wanted to reward, will only get his share of the pool!! It's better to leave the auto tip in Place.

catolga28@shaw.ca

I worked in a 4 star hotel for 5 years throught college and university' date=' doing the evening shift for the housekeeping department. My job involved propably about 20-30 ad hoc requests from guests per night, ie getting them, ironing boards, extra linen etc. All of these being items beyond the norm and I would go out of my way to make sure everyone got what they wanted. How many tips did I get in 5 years - not one. But I never considered this an issue as I was just doing my job.

catolga28@shaw.ca

[quote=Donna's Dad;24451722

You will be defeating your purpose' date=' if you remove the auto tipping, whatever tips you hand out will have to go into the auto tipping pool, for equal distribution, and the person that you wanted to reward, will only get his share of the pool!! It's better to leave the auto tip in Place.[/font']

catolga28@shaw.ca

OK, I heard you the first time :eek: :p

I went on my first cruise last year and I am going on another one in June :o

I knew that the cruise had an auto tip at the end of the cruise and I also gave some individuals something extra on the last day.

Now after reading this thread, I am wondering, should I have been tipping sooner? Is there a real advantage to tipping a few bucks up front or along the way? I thought that was the beauty of a cruise, you never had to carry cash or tip until the end.

I am also wondering about my kids. I am taking my two teenage boys (staying in a separate stateroom) this trip who may want to order room service. Should they be tipping?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Nothing to say? Huh Huh Huh!

I couldn't figure out what that poster meant. Seemed like the most nonsensical post I had read all day...and that's saying something.

I would suggest you read on up how the autotips work. If you remove the autotip, any money you give to that crew member will have to be turned in for the tipping pool.

I can understand how you may feel that a little child shouldn't have to tip, but as someone who's child has been on six cruises since she was 23 months of age (her last cruise was at age 8), we have always felt that the crew has provided her with a great deal of service...everything from disposing of her used pullups to goodies such as saltine crackers in the dining room without even our requesting them. Even if you can clean up after your child (and a 2-yr-old will be making a mess), you will see how your child will be doted on. Many of the crew do have small children back home that they can only see on their infrequent trips every six months, and those tips are generally sent home in the meantime.

I went on my first cruise last year and I am going on another one in June :o

I knew that the cruise had an auto tip at the end of the cruise and I also gave some individuals something extra on the last day.

Now after reading this thread, I am wondering, should I have been tipping sooner? Is there a real advantage to tipping a few bucks up front or along the way? I thought that was the beauty of a cruise, you never had to carry cash or tip until the end.

I am also wondering about my kids. I am taking my two teenage boys (staying in a separate stateroom) this trip who may want to order room service. Should they be tipping?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

We have never prepaid at all. Don't worry about it unless you're planning to be bugging them everyday about extra special requests.

Some sage advice apostle. If you can live on $90 per month working 7/12 then please remove the autotip and do not tip any extra and do not feel bad about it.

US coins and $2 bills are not accepted by money changers (banks, etc) outside of USA for remitting money abroad. Good souvenirs though.

I didn't know that. I have been using the new presidential gold 1$ coins as tips, and had no complaints, and several folks commented on liking to recieve them. Since most of my cruises originate from the states, I guess they don't have any problems spending them in the US ports.

I also like to give a few extra to our private tour operators/guides once we find that they have children - just something special for the kids. The guides have always been very well pleased at the gesture.

I still remember that a shopper brought about 50 $ coins to pay at Costco and the poor cashier had to call the manager. Even in the US, the cash trays do not have slots for $1 coins and $2 bills. Being US tender, they cannot refuse it but it can be a hassle! In my earlier post, I was clear that I was writing about Foreign Banks / Money Changers. Actually, in foreign countries (even Caribbean) stores that accept US currency will not accept notes that are not in good condition because their banks refuse to take it. In Beijing the Holiday Inn did not accept our $100 US note because it had a pin hole (from the staple?).

I didn't know that. I have been using the new presidential gold 1$ coins as tips, and had no complaints, and several folks commented on liking to recieve them.

Some sage advice apostle. If you can live on $90 per month working 7/12 then please remove the autotip and do not tip any extra and do not feel bad about it.

Funny, I didn't realise it was my responsibility to pay the staff's wages on top of my cruise costs. So it's ok for cruiselines to exploit their workforce and exploit me with the 1k cost for my daughter, yet i'm supposed to be guilt tripped into spending another $400+ dollars.

I'm happy to tip for personnal service and tip well, certainly more than the average in the country, but there is no way in a million years i'm paying the wages of the guy who paints the doors. Cruiselines should build the cost of staff wages into the initial cost of the cruise.

Re the tipping pool - If give my room attendant $50 cash in their hand, not in an envelope, are they going to hand it in to the pool - I doubt it.

Funny, I didn't realise it was my responsibility to pay the staff's wages on top of my cruise costs. So it's ok for cruiselines to exploit their workforce and exploit me with the 1k cost for my daughter, yet i'm supposed to be guilt tripped into spending another $400+ dollars.

I'm happy to tip for personnal service and tip well, certainly more than the average in the country, but there is no way in a million years i'm paying the wages of the guy who paints the doors. Cruiselines should build the cost of staff wages into the initial cost of the cruise.

Re the tipping pool - If give my room attendant $50 cash in their hand, not in an envelope, are they going to hand it in to the pool - I doubt it.

Out of interest, when did you find out about the tips being added on? Before or after you booked? It sounds like it came as a surprise to you?

Don't let it spoil your cruise.

Re the tipping pool - If give my room attendant $50 cash in their hand, not in an envelope, are they going to hand it in to the pool - I doubt it.[/quote]

Yes they will, if they value their job.

So, as I said before - DO remove the autotip, tip personally as you wish knowing that the receiver will have to turn it in, and do not feel bad about what you are doing. It is your prerogative to do so.

Maybe Princess should just start charging us more to cruise and have all of the tipping included in the price. Having to worry about whom to pay the extra tips to is giving me a headache.:(

Regardless of whether you pay for it in the cruise fare or with the tips, you're still paying for it. Princess doesn't earn its money from anyone but the passengers. Thus the passengers are paying for everything the cruise line does or has, one way or another -- that means that you are paying for the wages of the guy painting the doors, like it or not. So, what's the difference? Just figure the $10.50-11/per person/per day into your cruise fare (just as you figure taxes, port fees, airfare, transfers, insurance, etc into your total vacation cost), and then stop taking it so personally.

That being said... I think it might not be a bad idea for Princess to just wrap the cost into the price of the cruise, or at least state the price up-front like they do with the port fees and taxes, making it a fixed part of the cruise cost. Then, stop calling it "tips", and allow passengers to give tips to the crew of their own free will (making all tips "above and beyond" tips).

But no matter how Princess chooses to handle this I know I'm paying for it out one end or the other, so it's completely pointless to get worked up over it.

Archived