Confused about Tipping

Moondoggy51

I agree. The person you've given them to can't do a thing with them so they're nothing other than a souvenir of someone who didn't want to tip in usable currency.

To the OP, as the others have said, leave the auto-tip on. There is absolutely no obligation to tip anything extra to your waitstaff or cabin steward unless they provide service above and beyond what's expected. A 15% service charge will be added to any beverages you purchase so there's no need to tip extra.

Let's see, you are on the first Alaskan cruise of the year and the Princess employees on the ship will be on there for 3 or 4 months and the ship docks in 4 American ports a week, maybe I ought to tip them in Yen or Euros. That's what you call something in unusable currency. Duh.

I agree with what everyone has posted so far. As long as you give the recommended tips you will not be considered a cheap Charlie. The recommended tips are considered customary for the services provided. You are under no obligation is tip anything beyond that amount and no staff member should never confront you otherwise. I would only give additional tips if the service was extraordinary or I asked the server to do something beyond their duty in which case I would tip them directly. Do what feels right for you. It's no different then tipping at a restaurant or bar at home where the tip in added onto the bill. An additional tip would be appreciated, but not required. Also, if you feel the service is not up to snuff...let the server and management know to get this corrected asap. If it's not fixed after repeated requests then yes...consider a tip reduction as a last resort. In all my years of cruising the services has always been wonderful...never a complaint.

These porters are not employed by Princess.

In the USA they are likely to be very highly paid, unionized people who expect a tip even with the "no tipping required" signs right above where they take your luggage.

I'm sure you are correct, but I can tell you that whomever employs these porters is the furthest thing from my husband's mind....he wouldn't care what the answer was anyway and it wouldn't change a thing.

Dawn

I would never consider not tipping room service.

I have to say, this is one area that EVERYONE seems to agree on....probably even those that remove auto tips. I have never read a post anywhere where someone didn't think that room service was "included."

I could be wrong, but hopefully, most know that this service is a perfect example where a few dollars would be appropriate!

I hope so anyway....

:)

US coins and $2 bills are not accepted by money changers (banks, etc) outside of USA for remitting money abroad. Good souvenirs though.
Come on now, we have been here before. $2.00 bills are legal U.S. currency and these people have their bank at their own Pursers office in the crew quarters. We just finished a 10 day cruise and we tipped in $2.00 everywhere on the ship and they loved it.

Let's see, you are on the first Alaskan cruise of the year and the Princess employees on the ship will be on there for 3 or 4 months and the ship docks in 4 American ports a week, maybe I ought to tip them in Yen or Euros. That's what you call something in unusable currency. Duh.

Did it ever occur to you that crewmembers don't necessarily get to leave the ship in port? That tip is part of their compensation and perhaps they're saving their money to send/take home. What does the average crew person really need from the tourist shops of Skagway, anyway? Would you like it if part of your compensation was given to you in giftcards?

Come on now, we have been here before. $2.00 bills are legal U.S. currency and these people have their bank at their own Pursers office in the crew quarters. We just finished a 10 day cruise and we tipped in $2.00 everywhere on the ship and they loved it.

You think they loved it; you don't know. Is it legal tender? Yes. Do they have a crew purser? Yes. Is it a pain in the patootie for them to go to the purser's desk and wait in line to get the money changed to something usable? Probably.

I always think that people who insist on tipping with cutesy currency are demeaning the staff. It seems very patronizing and dismissive of their professionalism. I doubt we'd find it amusing if our bosses decided to pay us with a big ole sack of gold coins.

Did it ever occur to you that crewmembers don't necessarily get to leave the ship in port? That tip is part of their compensation and perhaps they're saving their money to send/take home. What does the average crew person really need from the tourist shops of Skagway, anyway? Would you like it if part of your compensation was given to you in giftcards?

You think they loved it; you don't know. Is it legal tender? Yes. Do they have a crew purser? Yes. Is it a pain in the patootie for them to go to the purser's desk and wait in line to get the money changed to something usable? Probably.

I always think that people who insist on tipping with cutesy currency are demeaning the staff. It seems very patronizing and dismissive of their professionalism. I doubt we'd find it amusing if our bosses decided to pay us with a big ole sack of gold coins.

Sounds like you need a job on a cruise ship. Money is money.

So's the Susan B. Anthony dollar but that doesn't mean it's appropriate for a tip to a foreign national who may or may not get off the ship at a U.S. port. Most take their tips and send them home one way or the other.

Sounds like you need a job on a cruise ship. Money is money.
I dare you to bring your Susan B. Anthony dollars on a ship and try to get them exchanged for $1s at the Pursar's Desk. What a great experiment! Let us know how it turns out.

These porters are not employed by Princess.

In the USA they are likely to be very highly paid, unionized people who expect a tip even with the "no tipping required" signs right above where they take your luggage.

Good thing it's my hubby who tips the porters and not me.:o

Considering that none of the Princess ships that go to Alaska end up sailing to Europe (as far as I know), maybe it's a good thing not to tip in Euros.

As Pam and rdsqrl have stated, it's not exactly considerate to give a tip that would be hard for the crew members to get sent home. It'll be like that couple that tips in trivia prizes. :rolleyes:

Tip an ammount that you are comfortable with, the level of service received, your personal wealth, your cultural background, your concience etc will determine the ammount for you.

I do suspect many posters dont tip as highly as stated on these boards, A lucky few are no doubt sufficiently wealthy to give big tips all the time, I also suspect others over state their tipping to strengthen their arguments. Tip what you feel is right and dont allow others to label you as cheap if your personal circumstances mean you cant tip as highly as some state on here.

So's the Susan B. Anthony dollar but that doesn't mean it's appropriate for a tip to a foreign national who may or may not get off the ship at a U.S. port. Most take their tips and send them home one way or the other.
This comming from a person who several months ago on this board said the the $2.00 bill is not even U.S. currency.

What are you serious? I rest my case! I am out of here.

Wow! I'm used to the acrimony that comes when someone complains about having to

tip, and everyone jumping on them for being cheap! Now it's about how to tip.

I think we should tip in the manner we would want to be tipped ourselves. Money that

has been earned and is easy to use. To me giving "cutesy" money is like my old uncle

who used to make a big deal out of giving us silver dollars once a year when he saw us.

They were awkward to carry, and we were actually a little intimidated by them!

Wow! I'm used to the acrimony that comes when someone complains about having to

tip, and everyone jumping on them for being cheap! Now it's about how to tip.

I think we should tip in the manner we would want to be tipped ourselves. Money that

has been earned and is easy to use. To me giving "cutesy" money is like my old uncle

who used to make a big deal out of giving us silver dollars once a year when he saw us.

They were awkward to carry, and we were actually a little intimidated by them!

Just think silver dollars are worth a bunch now. :eek:

I still have 10 of them. When I was a kid I didn't think my neighborhood storeowners would

take them, too weird. I've been lugging them with me every time we move, in an old

purse. After I'm gone, my kids will probably think it's full of gold!

And, with inflation, I'll be they're not worth what they were then.

I am going to Alaska next week and I 'fer sure' thought Alaska was in the US and took American Currency. I work in a bank and do not think $2.00 bills or SBAs or Gold Dollars are cutesy. They are certainly US currency and worth face value (unless you are lucky to have silver coins) and if received in a tip, should be much appreciated. I've traveled internationally to Mexico, Jamaica, Bahamas, etc. (land trips) and have always been told that people find the $2.00 bill "lucky" so I've always tipped with them.

I do want to know if the Golden's laundry takes US coins because I thought about bringing a few dollars in quarters for laundry. Then I read that US coins are not accepted so I need clarification.

Tip an ammount that you are comfortable with, the level of service received, your personal wealth, your cultural background, your concience etc will determine the ammount for you.

I do suspect many posters dont tip as highly as stated on these boards, A lucky few are no doubt sufficiently wealthy to give big tips all the time, I also suspect others over state their tipping to strengthen their arguments. Tip what you feel is right and dont allow others to label you as cheap if your personal circumstances mean you cant tip as highly as some state on here.

Right on David&Heather. Couldn't have said it better.

Richard

Nicely said!

Apparently, for some people, tipping is more about an opportunity to express themselves and their style than it is to sincerely thank those who help them by expending effort on their behalf. I'm sure that's wonderful for them. I wish them all the best, but am sure they can't see me from behind their sunglasses worn indoors, or hear me over their technology conspicuously plugged in their ears.

Apparently, for some people, tipping is more about an opportunity to express themselves and their style than it is to sincerely thank those who help them by expending effort on their behalf. I'm sure that's wonderful for them. I wish them all the best, but am sure they can't see me from behind their sunglasses worn indoors, or hear me over their technology conspicuously plugged in their ears.

Huh?

Archived