I need some suggestions to maximize miles, minimize time

greatam

I have to be in Alaska for business the first week of June (ticket already purchased-RT on AA through DFW-leave May 30, return dated for June 9)

My military clearance just came through yesterday. I need to be back in the "sandbox" (Iraq/Afghanistan) no later than June 15. So now I have to rush around trying to figure out how to get there, maximizing miles and hopefully minimizing time.

All mil air flights into the war zones are now flying from Jordan or Dubai. No more flying out of Kuwait I guess (at least that is what my clearance says).

I REALLY didn't want to come back to JFK to fly through Europe on one of many many carriers. No availability on the BA flight from YVR to LHR in business. Not a lot of options out of SEA, even flying through Asia to get to the Middle East.

I have lots and lots of AA miles as well as a fair smattering of LAN and Cathay miles for upgrades and award tickets if needed. I would really prefer to purchase the tickets (I get a $2800 allowance), then upgrade the flights. I also have a wad of Etihad miles (love that airline)

Was thinking of Cathay out of Vancouver through Hong Kong and on to Dubai/Amman/Bahrain. But no availability for upgrade on the HKG/Dubai/Amman/Bahrain leg with Cathay. AA is trying to get me on the Royal Jordanian flight, which MAY solve the problem. AA runs a codeshare with EVA from SEA to Taiwan, but evidently you can't use miles for a business class ticket. Don't understand that rule and even the EXP desk could not explain it.

Anyone got any off the wall/out of the box suggestions I may have missed??? I am spinning my wheels and not getting a darn thing done. And time is running out to get this solidified.

I have to be in Alaska for business the first week of June (ticket already purchased-RT on AA through DFW-leave May 30, return dated for June 9)

My military clearance just came through yesterday. I need to be back in the "sandbox" (Iraq/Afghanistan) no later than June 15. So now I have to rush around trying to figure out how to get there, maximizing miles and hopefully minimizing time.

All mil air flights into the war zones are now flying from Jordan or Dubai. No more flying out of Kuwait I guess (at least that is what my clearance says).

I REALLY didn't want to come back to JFK to fly through Europe on one of many many carriers. No availability on the BA flight from YVR to LHR in business. Not a lot of options out of SEA, even flying through Asia to get to the Middle East.

I have lots and lots of AA miles as well as a fair smattering of LAN and Cathay miles for upgrades and award tickets if needed. I would really prefer to purchase the tickets (I get a $2800 allowance), then upgrade the flights. I also have a wad of Etihad miles (love that airline)

Was thinking of Cathay out of Vancouver through Hong Kong and on to Dubai/Amman/Bahrain. But no availability for upgrade on the HKG/Dubai/Amman/Bahrain leg with Cathay. AA is trying to get me on the Royal Jordanian flight, which MAY solve the problem. AA runs a codeshare with EVA from SEA to Taiwan, but evidently you can't use miles for a business class ticket. Don't understand that rule and even the EXP desk could not explain it.

Anyone got any off the wall/out of the box suggestions I may have missed??? I am spinning my wheels and not getting a darn thing done. And time is running out to get this solidified.

The thing with EVA puzzles me too - plenty of codeshares, but BR is not an AA partner. Go figure.

EF doesn't show any C inventory, but as an EXP you might get hidden C space on AA ORD-DEL, connecting either on RJ to AMM or Etihad to AMM/DXB through AUH. As both India and the Middle East are the same award tier on AA, a one-way J seat DEL-AMM/DXB on RJ, Etihad or Jet is only 25K miles, which sounds like good value on three carriers with excellent reputations for mid/longhaul J. You might also look at CX out of YVR, SFO or LAX to HKG then Delhi or BOM, and an award (or revenue ticket - J prices from DEL to DXB/AMM are pretty cheap) from there.

It's only 30K AA miles one way in J from NRT to AMM/DXB and it looks like there's plenty of C inventory on AA from DFW, JFK or ORD to NRT the week of the 10th-15th. ANC-DFW-NRT or some play on that?

Is your travel allowance good for one-way or RT travel? If RT, how long are you going to be in the region?

If it's a question of just getting there versus getting there in style, the obvious answer is (deep breath) coach. Yes, it stinks, but it makes you appreciate the big seats up front.

Hope it works out for you!

So what is your suggestion???-East Coast, through Europe onto the Middle East. West Coast through Asia. What connections-what airlines???

I can book a business class flight right now through London on AA with a connecting flight on BA to Dubai. I can also fly Royal Jordanian from JFK to Amman. Those options are open. BUT it is a lot of extra time (about 43 hours total to get from ANC to JFK to London to Amman). Then I may have to get to Dubai (but that is not a big problem). I REALLY don't want to spend almost two days on planes.

And, no, I am not flying coach unless it is true desperation time. I will probably have 10-12 hours of military processing the minute I get off the plane. Then I may have to fly mil air immediately to wherever they are sending me (and wherever the plane is going). I need to be awake, with my ducks in a row. Can't be sleeping on the job!!!

The thing with EVA puzzles me too - plenty of codeshares, but BR is not an AA partner. Go figure.

EF doesn't show any C inventory, but as an EXP you might get hidden C space on AA ORD-DEL, connecting either on RJ to AMM or Etihad to AMM/DXB through AUH. As both India and the Middle East are the same award tier on AA, a one-way J seat DEL-AMM/DXB on RJ, Etihad or Jet is only 25K miles, which sounds like good value on three carriers with excellent reputations for mid/longhaul J. You might also look at CX out of YVR, SFO or LAX to HKG then Delhi or BOM, and an award (or revenue ticket - J prices from DEL to DXB/AMM are pretty cheap) from there.

It's only 30K AA miles one way in J from NRT to AMM/DXB and it looks like there's plenty of C inventory on AA from DFW, JFK or ORD to NRT the week of the 10th-15th. ANC-DFW-NRT or some play on that?

Is your travel allowance good for one-way or RT travel? If RT, how long are you going to be in the region?

Absolutely great suggestions. I won't fly through DEL, but I never thought about going through NRT. I was trying CX out of YVR to HKG which was available. Getting from HKG was the problem. Maybe through BKK, then fly Etihad from BKK to AUH (I will drive to DXB-no sense trying to fly a circuitous routing back through Bahrain or Qatar) Etihad also runs a bus from AUH to Dubai for some flights, BUT that counts as a separate flight segment (the price is $67.00 more to take the bus or 5,000 miles). Two hours on a very good freeway. The hardest part is getting out of the airport onto the proper road headed to Dubai.

Travel allowance??? When I bid the contract, I bid it based on one way travel. Through many many changes, it has kinda, sorta turned into RT primarily because of the time my services may or may not be needed. They don't want to pay me if they don't need me, BUT they have no idea IN ADVANCE when they need me. With all the new troops going into Afghanistan and needing food (my logistics specialty), I expect this time to be there 3-4 months. BUT they may send me home in 6 weeks or two months or in a week-just never know. So how much I ACTUALLY get reimbursed and how I can book the plane tickets is a true toss up. I am planning on booking the return September 1 or slightly earlier.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming. I am swamped with other stuff. Looking for max miles, minimum time in transit is becoming a royal pain.

So what is your suggestion???-East Coast, through Europe onto the Middle East. West Coast through Asia. What connections-what airlines???

Fly coach if you are having trouble finding flights with business/first availability if getting there on time is a priority. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. The plane arrives at the same time no matter where you sit or how special you feel.

The plane arrives at the same time no matter where you sit or how special you feel.

But flying F/J isn't about how special you feel...if you need to hit the ground running it's almost essential on a length of journey that greatam is talking about.

Have you considered EY150 out of ORD to AUH? It also appears as an AA codeshare. Scott.

AA codeshare but no upgrades/no Etihad miles. I didn't understand everything AA was saying, Etihad was even more confusing about not being able to upgrade with an AA flight number. But the essence was it is just a marketing program, NOT an airline partner. Just like Eva. But thanks for the suggestion and bringing that particular flight to my attention.

This is the flight I on hold through Etihad for 48 hours-Sunday June 13-$1783 all in, 27,000 Etihad miles to upgrade and there was availability. And the real bonus which I didn't know about (thought you had to be on a paid F/J ticket)-I get limo service to Dubai free if I need it. So don't even have to rent a car and drive myself.

NOW to find a flight from ANC to ORD. The one I am looking at only shows 40% ontime (arrives 5:20PM nonstop on AS, EY flight leaves at 8). Total flying time- about 21 hours IF the AS plane is on time. Beats the heck out of 43 through Europe.

My only hesitancy flying this routing is not being able to really rest on this leg (6+ hours). Or maybe fly the day before and get a hotel (which seems like a lot of hassle and I am not fond of Chicago). But Etihad will pick me up in the limo for the airport-THAT is a nice feature. I KNEW there were a lot of reasons I liked that airline-this is just one more.

I am still looking at routing through Asia. Thanks again for this option. I didn't even know they flew out of Chicago and multiple connections to get from ANC to JFK just wasn't in the cards.

I realize you probably don't do too much with Star Alliance but one possiblity is getting down to LAX, then flying EK (Emirates) to DXB nonstop. I'm not sure if QF has codeshares with EY (Etihad) but if they do, then connecting through YVR, SFO, or LAX and then through SYD or MEL on a QF/EY codeshare will keep you Oneworld. Pretty circuitous but you asked for offbeat ideas. :)

OK, I just noticed you posted while I was forming the above reply....since Emirates sounds viable for you, check schedules out of LAX vs. ORD

NOW to find a flight from ANC to ORD. The one I am looking at only shows 40% ontime (arrives 5:20PM nonstop on AS, EY flight leaves at 8). Total flying time- about 21 hours IF the AS plane is on time. Beats the heck out of 43 through Europe.
Could you manage the AA ANC-ORD redeye, (arrives 6:55AM) get a day room at ORD and rest up before the flight that afternoon?

Could you manage the AA ANC-ORD redeye, (arrives 6:55AM) get a day room at ORD and rest up before the flight that afternoon?

I looked at that. I may be more tired than flying from ANC the day before on the daytime flight. I just don't know. But could you give me hotel suggestions, please???

Alternately, you might want to see if ANC - YVR/SEA - YYZ works and catch EY out of YYZ? Problem with Toronto, is they only fly thrice-weekly (Tu / Th / Sa w/ 22h45 departure time)

Coming back from Munich, I stayed at the Hilton on prem at ORD, across from T2 and five min tram ride to T5. It was acceptable, however, as with all things you pay for convenience.

Scott.

Thanks. I called-they will only let you know a week in advance if they have day rooms available. AND could not tell me the price. It would be my luck to get stuck at the airport for 11 hours. Can't very well stretch out and sleep in the Admiral's Club (although I have seen it done). And this old lady is not going to use "sleeping in airports", no matter how good the suggestions are. The website is truly a blessing when you are STUCK!!! http://www.sleepinginairports.net/

Back to looking for another hotel.

Archived