Review from solo on Celebration

First time cruise for me so wasn't sure what to expect. For a budget cruise company Thomson exceeded expectations. I loved the itinerary (7 nights Highlights of the Aegean ex Dalaman 3 May 2010 including Istanbul, Cannakale for Gallipoli and Troy, Kusadasi for Ephesus, Athens, Ag Nik for Knossos and back to Marmaris. Some people appeared surprised at the hour and a half coach transfer to the ship.

I had an excellent single outside cabin (718) on B deck - deck 2. Was delighted with storage and the unexpected luxury of a double bed. Don't know why as some couples in nearby cabins ended up with single berths, perhaps that was their preference? Clean, comfortable bed and super cabin service. Only the tiniest tremor detectable which was nothing like what I'd expected from other postings. TV reception was a bit hit and miss.

Did not like the change to the AI package as I ended up drinking rather boring white wine throughout and had been fancying some exotic cocktails for a treat. Some fellow passengers were giving the crew a really hard time about the change to the AI package - which they dealt with as graciously as humanly possible.

Since I'm not a musical theatre fan I prefered listening to the duo up in the Horizons Lounge who were really talented rather than the main shows which seemed very crowded. The crew show was a joy to see.

I do regret not doing a bit of forward planning as the Thomson excursions were expensive, the so called 5 hour excursion in Istanbul was really rushed as it included a total one and a half hours in traffic to and from the ship for lunch onboard. Why not include lunch in a central restaurant or even a packed lunch? Having said that the Destinations Desk onboard accepted the comment and I received a very gracious written apology the same day.

Maitre d' (William) was very helpful seating me at my own table - but on one occasion when that wasn't possible I opted for Mistrals. It was almost empty but worth every single penny of the extra £20 for quality of food (cooked to order) presentation and terrific service.

I'll probably try Swan Hellenic next time, but on the whole would recommend Thomson and Celebration for a cheap and cheerful cruise experience.

Interesting review as we are doing the Ottoman Treasures in June. After asking for advice on here we have opted to go for the tram in Istanbul as the sights seem to be close together. Did you go to Troy or Gallipoli? Also how was Ephesus, any tips would be appreciated.:):)

Jan

We went to Ephasus two years ago on the beloved Emerald - God Bless her - . We did a brilliant trip with Thomson's that included a visit to the House of Mary. Even if you are sceptical, the feeling of peace and stillness there was amazing. Ephasus was brilliant. BUT as you move through the area you walk gradually down hill along marble 'pavements'. I saw several people fall flat on their backs. Main tip! Wear non-slip footwear. Fantastic place, not to be missed.:)

Thanks Rosiebee

I've bought some walking sandals with a good tread on them so I hope they should be ok, or I'm going to have a bruised bum aren't I, lol :D:D

Jan

After asking for advice on here we have opted to go for the tram in Istanbul as the sights seem to be close together.

Jan

Hi Jan - we are on the same trip but in August. Just to say we did an overnight (cruise) Istanbul last summer. Yes - the tram is a doddle. Walk out of the dock to the main road (you'll see the tram lines in the middle of the road) Buy tour token - not a lot of TL, and jump on the tram that is heading in the right location (I believe you want to head left). Travel 5 or 6 stops - no more than 10 mins and you're right outside the Blue Mosque, 5 mins walk from Topaki, Hagia Sophia etc. So you are free to wander at your own pace. Nooo Waay would I consider paying ships excursion prices.

Our cruise is also scheduled to stop at Santorini (if it doesnt divert elsewhere as has been reported on numerous occasions:confused:). Lots of people head from the port to Oia - the extremely picturesque village. Yes it's worth the visit, but again it's easy enough on public transport. You will have to go up in the cable car to the main town, then bear left towards the bus station - 10 min walk. Wait for a bus then join the crowds. It was quite a scrum trying to get on the bus, but this will depend on the number of ships in port at the time. 20min ish bus ride into Oia. Lovely place to wander, and a must for the camera. All this info, maps etc can be found on the net.

We are also set to stop in Rhodes and Kusadasi which again we visited last year - we never went to Ephesus, but instead did a beach day. If you want any info on Rhodes, please shout.:)

Hi, First of all there is a brilliant tram service in Istanbul, very simple apparantly. The main sights Blue Mosque and Haghia Sofia only yards apart and Topkapi Palace and Bazaar also very close by. The excursion didn't seem to give us any fast track access and the trip back to the ship for lunch wasted lots of precious time.

Cannakale is a big modern town and most people found it a disappointment when using the 25 minute £5 ship to centre transfer. It does have the 'Trojan Horse' from the film 'Troy' on the seafront though and it gets you off the ship for a bit.

Didn't do Gallipoli or Troy as I was saving myself for the big wow of Ephesus. You do go to the so called House of Mary too - which is in a nice setting. Can't see how you can do Ephesus independently in the time available but it's amazing and well worth the money.

NB on no account do the carpet caravanserai optional extension to the excursion in Kusadasi as it's very hard sell.

Thanks FizzyWigg

I'll cut and paste all that into Word. I thought the price of the excursion was a bit OTT and when we checked out Google Earth everything seemed close together even though the Thomson description made it all sound miles away and if I remember rightly it costs about £49 for the day one. Troy or Gallipoli and Ephesus I don't think are DIYable but definitely Santorini and Rhodes, where we've been before and know Rhodes Town quite well. Thanks again.:):)

Oh just a quick question. Did you pay for the tram in euros or lira?

Jan

You will find little kiosks in the middle of the road, I think some are manned, but mostly they are slot machines. Feed in your turkish lira coins and it will dispense a token. You then see a turnstile, put your token in, walk through and wait for your tram, which come through frequently. In the tram above the doors you will see the route map (much like our underground) with stations and under each station it list the attractions at that stop. Really couldnt be easier, and not really all that far. In fact we walked back from Topkapi to the ship because we wanted to walk across the bridge - which in it self is fascinating and a good place to stop for a beer in one of the bars underneath. Watching the hectic waterways with boats / ferries racing in every direction was amazing.

The only thing I would say is that Topkapi, although a lovely and interesting place was a bit pricey. Having bought your ticket you are then informed there is a further charge to get into the hareem where I believe all the jewels are. Can't remember exactly how much but I know it wasnt cheap, and we never did get into the hareem.

On the other hand I can recommend the Cistern Basilica, right in the middle of the hectic city you find this oasis of underground calm. Lovely, We LOVE Istanbul :):D:)

Thanks Rosiebee

I've bought some walking sandals with a good tread on them so I hope they should be ok, or I'm going to have a bruised bum aren't I, lol :D:D

Jan

We were in Ephesus last June and went sober so we didn't fall flat on our bums.:D

And didn't see anyone else do it either.

If you do a tour make sure it includes the Terraced houses, they are fantastic.

Berwyn

Hi Ekco

We went to Gallipoli when we did the Black Sea on The Calypso. It is absolutely amazing but I wouldn't say you could do it on your own.

It is a National Park and so quiet. The coach takes you all around the memorials etc, Anzac Beach was especially nice.

I am not normally into all the war stuff but I loved it, so if you get the chance I would say do it.

Janet:)

Hi Ekco

We went to Gallipoli when we did the Black Sea on The Calypso. It is absolutely amazing but I wouldn't say you could do it on your own.

It is a National Park and so quiet. The coach takes you all around the memorials etc, Anzac Beach was especially nice.

I am not normally into all the war stuff but I loved it, so if you get the chance I would say do it.

Janet:)

Thanks Janet

It's so difficult! I wish we could do both, we have some thinking to do, maybe Troy this time and Gallipoli if we go again. Has anyone been to Troy and if so was it worth it?:):)

Jan

Hi, First of all there is a brilliant tram service in Istanbul, very simple apparantly. The main sights Blue Mosque and Haghia Sofia only yards apart and Topkapi Palace and Bazaar also very close by. The excursion didn't seem to give us any fast track access and the trip back to the ship for lunch wasted lots of precious time.

Cannakale is a big modern town and most people found it a disappointment when using the 25 minute £5 ship to centre transfer. It does have the 'Trojan Horse' from the film 'Troy' on the seafront though and it gets you off the ship for a bit.

Didn't do Gallipoli or Troy as I was saving myself for the big wow of Ephesus. You do go to the so called House of Mary too - which is in a nice setting. Can't see how you can do Ephesus independently in the time available but it's amazing and well worth the money.

NB on no account do the carpet caravanserai optional extension to the excursion in Kusadasi as it's very hard sell.

It took us 15 mins. to walk to the Grand Bazzar from the ship.

The Ephesus excursion does not include the Terraced Houses - pity so much time was spent at the House of Mary.

The excursion in Istanbul does not include the Harem at the Topkapi Palace (though you do see the famous jewels in the Treasury building) and you do not visit the Cistern. There is limited time at the end of the tour in the Bazaar. Time is the main issue because there are huge queues at all the sights and of course Thomson send you all the way back to the ship for lunch.

Archived