FYI for Labadee Haiti

maryella

We visited this island as part of a trip on Celebrity Solstice in February. Today I went to donate blood at a Red Cross blood drive in our town. After going through several questions to qualify me (donated 6 months ago) they asked if I had been out of the country within the last 12 months. When I answered that I had been to the Caribbean on this cruise it turns out that Labadee Haiti (as well as the Dominican Republic and a part of Jamaica) are on the "reject" list for donating blood. The Red Cross told me that all parts of Haiti are in a malaria zone. Even though I was not biten while there it seems that there is a mosquito in Haiti that can carry malaria that can remain dormant in your blood for up to a year. So I will not be able to donate blood until Februay of 2011. Just wanted to give anyone a heads up if blood donation was in your plans for the next 12 months after you return from Haiti.

Interesting, I donated last year, after having been in Labadee, and when questioned, the nurse got up and spoke with someone and said it was ok. BUT! that was before the earthquake in Haiti, so I'm sure that's probably why.

:( Sadly, I'm another rejected blood donor. I've donated four to six times a year for at least 30 years now. I was rejected this month for the Labadee connection even though it was rainy and windy when we stopped there on the Solstice in March. It's strange how being rejected leaves you feeling stunned and with hurt feelings for a few minutes. I did check with another blood bank (my local hospital) to see if they have the same rules. They do. We're not about to stop cruising, but it hurts to be unable to donate. It was one of the few things I do to benefit society.

Labadee was OK until about two years ago, then the rules were changed. All of Haiti and the Dominican republic are off limits now.

The list of all off limits travel is here:

http://live.nybloodcenter.org/files/Media/84/mediumFilename/malaria.pdf

There are other limitations for travel not on the Malaria list, including up to permanant bar for certain travel to Africa or extended stays in parts of the UK where mad cow disease exists.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for informing me that we have mad cow disease in our country I thought that it was dealt with a few years ago and our countryside was now clear will have to be extra careful when petting the cows in the field behind our house

Thanks for the heads up on the restrictions for blood donations after visiting these ports. I went today (we sail in about month) to donate ahead of time. I was told I have to wait a year after being in Haiti before donating again.:(

• 1 month later...
Labadee was OK until about two years ago, then the rules were changed. All of Haiti and the Dominican republic are off limits now.

The list of all off limits travel is here:

http://live.nybloodcenter.org/files/Media/84/mediumFilename/malaria.pdf

There are other limitations for travel not on the Malaria list, including up to permanant bar for certain travel to Africa or extended stays in parts of the UK where mad cow disease exists.

Thanks for informing me that we have mad cow disease in our country I thought that it was dealt with a few years ago and our countryside was now clear will have to be extra careful when petting the cows in the field behind our house

Not just the UK but also Europe in general. I have been prohibited from donating blood for 27 years because I was stationed in Italy in the early 80's. Red Cross will not budge (stupid reasoning after all these years).

• 3 weeks later...

I went to see my doc this week and told her my travel plans. She said I should be having malaria tablets and a typhoid injection as they are listed for Haiti and San Juan (SJ only typhoid not malaria) This freaked me out a little but when I explained the limited time I was going to be there for she said it should be ok :eek:

I too was surprised that I could not donate blood for a year after being in the Dominican Republic! And, I am going again in November. I am going to wear bug spray this year just to be safe! Hey, it can't hurt. I do think Royal Caribbean should have advised the passengers that there is malaria on the island., even if the chance of contracting it is slim. (I hope it is slim).

• 3 weeks later...

My sister was also told she could not donate blood after our trip to Labadee. I understand - they have to be very careful about the blood supply. It's not forever - just a year.

But in case you're worried about catching malaria: When I was there last July, I never saw a single mosquito. I would certainly not assume that just because there is malaria on the huge island of Dominican Republic/Haiti, that there is also malaria in Labadee. If people were getting sick there, we would have heard about it. RCCL goes to great measures to ensure the safety of their guests at Labadee. (For example - my family's zip line excursion was cancelled because it was too windy.) I wouldn't be surprised if they sprayed the area for mosquitoes.

I recently saw a documentary program about the malaria problem in Niger, and they mentioned that the mosquitoes that spread malaria come out at night. The ships leave the island before the sun sets. There's really nothing to worry about.

(For the record, I am NOT a big fan of RCCL, but I have to admit that they do a good job in Labadee.)

BTW - THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO DONATE BLOOD! YOU ARE HEROES. :)

If it helps I have cruised a good deal, many stops at Labadee, as well as spending time in the real Haiti. For cruising I never used anti-malarials or covered for Typhoid. I do however cover for >24 hours stay when in Haiti. Typhoid can be taken as an injection or the preferred route,orally, and is 80% effective. It is good for 1 year. I also have my Hep. A,B,C up to date and my tetanus. One could argue having those, when dealing with a large cruise crowd/ being barefoot on a beach, are far more important. There is a national company called Passport Health and they give good guidance on the latest CDC recommendations. I am still a fan of good hand washing and hygiene. I love Labadee and am actually in search of a cruise that visits there as one of my stops.

I cannot donate blood because I am anemic, but my 16 year old sons regularly donate since their Haiti lovin' parents can't.

Karen

Archived