Hilo question

Mary Louise

Hello,

My husband and I would like to visit Volcanoe National Park and take a helicopter ride. We are planning to rent a car at Hilo. Is this too ambigious of us, or can we accomplish both activities. We will be in Hilo from 9:30 - 5:00 pm. If this is realistic, but should we do first and does anyone recommend a Helicopter company?

Thank you

I personally think it's a bit unrealistic. If memory serves, it's about an hour each way to the volcano. I'd recommend at least an hour, probably two, to really explore the volcano, more if you want to drive to where the lava crossed the road. You'll also need to factor in the amount of time needed to rent and return the car. And in all likelihood, they'll tell you that you'll need to return the car by 4P to get back to the ship in time due to traffic, port security, etc. I'd recommend the land tour/visit to VNP, and save the helicopter excursion for Kauai.

Just my opion.

We had time last week to tour the volcano and then drive about 20 miles further down the road to the black sand beach where we spent about 1/2 an hour. I think that it is doable but would entail some stress and a lot of clock watching and Hawaii is all about leaving the stess at home. I second the idea of the heli ride on Kauai...did it last week and it was the hilight of our trip!

You could do a helicopter ride from Kona side. It is beautiful. You can even go all the way to the volcano on the helicopter. The ride is amazing but $$. I have been here (Kona) and on Kauai. I preferred the flight here but I am pretty partial to the Big Island. lol:D

liz.gif.5dad307852906bc26a255e8eb5710fc0.gif

Mary Louise

We used Safari Air. Only $139.00 if you book it online through Safariair.com. They also have a little game you can play online and if you get a perfect score(not that hard), you get a free t-shirt when you fly. They also fly over the big island but not sure of the details of that.

Some people on out cruise took the hiking excursion and saw lava so I'm sure it was visible from the air. It changes all the time though. We flew over Kauai so I'm not sure about the Hilo flight info. The video they take while on your flight($25.00) if very worth the money. It includes the pilots narration as well as any questions you may ask him.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be going on NCL Wind in early March and have been looking at helicopter ride on Kauai. I looked up several companies that offer the rides which is pretty confusing. I see one thread that took the Safari helicopter which I have looked up on the internet. How long was your ride, was it pretty smooth--did you go in the morning or afternoon and did they pick you up at the port? Sure could use some recommendations!!! Are there 4 or 6 seats in the 'copter' ?? Thanks!!

There were 6 seats in our copter on safari Air. The ride was about 55 minutes. We did the 9:20 A.M. ride and it was very smooth. Clouds move in quickly so do morning. They do pick you up at the port at the left end of the warehouse. Play the game on their website and get a free t-shirt!

Archived