Dress code

cruise6932

Sorry I know there has been a lot of questions on here lately about dress codes, but i'm travelling on the Grand on 22 May.

On smart/casual night (not formal) would a guy be able to wear smart jeans, smart shirt with shoes in the main dining room?

Sorry I know there has been a lot of questions on here lately about dress codes, but i'm travelling on the Grand on 22 May.

On smart/casual night (not formal) would a guy be able to wear smart jeans, smart shirt with shoes in the main dining room?

Smart Casual

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies
  • Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Yep....i actually had on dress shorts one night and had a table close to the main entrance,where the tablecloth hid them and noone saw since we were the first table going in,noone even noticed,but not allowed.:eek:

Yes, he will be fine!!

If......"Smart" = clothes that will pass the muster of the maitre d' but not the fashion police, probably okay ;)

If......"Smart" = clothes that will pass the muster of the maitre d' but not the fashion police, probably okay ;)

It depends how "Smart" the clothes are.. Perhaps we need an "IQ" check. :D

Even T shirts are now being allowed on casual nights in addition to the jeans.
True. However, the vast majority of passengers respect the dress code and dress appropriately. There are few jeans in the dining room. Yes, you can wear them and won't be turned away.

True. However, the vast majority of passengers respect the dress code and dress appropriately. There are few jeans in the dining room. Yes, you can wear them and won't be turned away.

The "dress code" specifically allows jeans- not torn and raggedy, but jeans never the less.

The "dress code" specifically allows jeans- not torn and raggedy, but jeans never the less.
True. However, on every cruise I've taken, the vast majority dress nicer than jeans. IMHO, and I'll be accused for being the fashion police for saying this, but I would never define jeans as "smart casual." FYI, I didn't say you couldn't wear them; I said that few do as most respect the concept of "smart casual."

To be on he safe side, dark color jeans aren't as noticeable as "jeans" and would most probably escape any rejection by the Maitre'd. But they should not have holes, be frayed or look very worn with spots on them.

Dockers are considered to be acceptable casual wear and lighter in weight to pack if traveling by air is a consideration.

MARAPRINCE

In defence of Southwestern fashion, blue jeans are acceptable wear as long as they are clean and neat. Sorry but I wore boots and jeans to Church for years and to just about every event I've ever been to. I agree kahakis are nice and easy to pack and it's not unreasonable to ask people to have them but they ened to understand not everyone wears them.

True. However, on every cruise I've taken, the vast majority dress nicer than jeans. IMHO, and I'll be accused for being the fashion police for saying this, but I would never define jeans as "smart casual." FYI, I didn't say you couldn't wear them; I said that few do as most respect the concept of "smart casual."

I totally, 100%, absolutely agree with this comment.

Khakis are casual cotton trousers of that colour, designed after the British Army tropical uniform. They are often worn with knit shirts with collars, or tropical print shirts. Both men and women wear them. Popular brands are "Dockers". What do you call them in the UK?

Let's stop with the opinions and look at what Princess says on their website:

"Smart Casual

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies
  • Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn."

This does not mean that you cannot wear blue jeans. They must only be without fraying or holes.

That is taken directly from the Princess website in the FAQ section.

Khakis are casual cotton trousers of that colour, designed after the British Army tropical uniform. They are often worn with knit shirts with collars, or tropical print shirts. Both men and women wear them. Popular brands are "Dockers". What do you call them in the UK?

Thanks. I was imagining khaki camouflage trousers :eek:.

I think we would call those Chinos.

In the last few years, designer jeans have become very 'dressy' here, adorned with blingy belts and high heels. Same for men but minus the high heels ;). I hate the very low slung jeans worn here, with half the designer underwear on show :(.

Please can I ask, what are khakis and dockers? Types of trousers, obviously, but they don't sound particularly smart :confused:

Twill trousers in neutral colors like beige, olive green, navy. The best picture I can give is the "uniform" many men wear to play golf. In real life, worn mainly by retired men and middle managers who want to look "casual." You're right, they're not particularly smart. Give me a pair of neat jeans and an oxford shirt any day.

Archived