Internet package for first-time Platinum user

Adventures ahead

You have to go to the Internet Cafe. You can probably do it without actually speaking to anyone as there are instructions on the screen. If you need help, the Internet Manager, or whatever fancy title they give this person, will have specific duty hours that will be listed in the Patter each day and assuming you don't have slacker Jeff from the Coral, s/he will be there during those times with a happy face, ready to help you. If it is Jeff, all bets are off: he may or may not show up and certainly won't have a happy face or be ready to be at all helpful. In fact, good luck getting him off Facebook or whatever he was playing around with!

You don't have to go to the Internet Cafe to sign up. You can easily sign up using the ships WiFi from your cabin if you have a laptop. When you first try and access the internet, the screen with sign up instructions comes up just as it does in the IC.

You will enter your first and last name as shown on your booking, your date of birth and you will need to create a password.

Pam is absolutely correct that you have to log out using 1.1.1.1 unless you are in the IC or the clock will keep ticking.

I found using the WiFi on my MacBook that the speed was quite good and seemed quite a bit faster than the computers in the IC. The slowest time of the day was between 4:00 & 6:00 due to many people trying to use the bandwidth at the same time. Other than that it was very usable.

Pam is absolutely correct that you have to log out using 1.1.1.1 unless you are in the IC or the clock will keep ticking.

On the Emerald (December) and the Ocean (February), if there was inactivity after a period of time (such as the machine being turned off), the clock stopped running. I am not sure exactly what that period of time was, but it was under 10 minutes.

They probably had to go to this because there are times when the Internet may stop working and if you were signed on at the time, there is no way to sign off.

They probably had to go to this because there are times when the Internet may stop working and if you were signed on at the time, there is no way to sign off.
That's precisely what I was told on the Ruby not long ago--otherwise, hundreds of pax would be overbilled, and the resulting complaint line at the purser's desk would be chaotic.

Les

You don't have to go to the Internet Cafe to sign up. You can easily sign up using the ships WiFi from your cabin if you have a laptop. When you first try and access the internet, the screen with sign up instructions comes up just as it does in the IC.

When I referring to the sign-up this is what I meant. We bring our laptop and make use of the wifi in cabin. If I had just registered both my DH and myself for a package on the first day, I would have had the full 300 minutes between us.

Sorry, but I´m thoroughly confused. We´re first time platinum, on a 31 night cruise, It´s only me that would want to use the internet. I only want to use the free minutes in October.

1. Do we each have to buy a package as well?

2 if we each buy a package, but only use the free minutes is the price of the package credited back to our account?

3. Can I use husband´s free time, if so will he need his own password to use?

Sandy in Spain

I'm familiar with the safes on Princess but, from memory, it appears it would be a tight fit or may not fit. Will a netbook fit into the safe?

I know not to leave a netbook (or computer) out in plain sight but, has anyone who has tucked theirs away (not in the safe) had a problem with security?

I know the paranoids will go nuts with this, but we have never put any of our valuable equipment, like camera, notebook, laptop away and nothing has happened to it on any cruise and with any cruiseline. A notebook will not fit into their safes. I do put our money and passports, small jewelry into the safe but that's it. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have kids that leave your door open and strangers can come and go out of our cabin. The cabin steward will not steal anything. It means their job which they need and want very badly. Happy Sailing!

On the subject of Platinium Internet perk...does anyone happen to know if a minor (17yr old) with Platinium status would get the same credit if she set up her own account? She sucks my time down!

I know I'll ask Princess directly when we cruise next before signing her up but just wondered if anyone here had a under 18yr old get their own internet credit for Platinium (or elite) status?

On the subject of Platinium Internet perk...does anyone happen to know if a minor (17yr old) with Platinium status would get the same credit if she set up her own account? She sucks my time down!

I know I'll ask Princess directly when we cruise next before signing her up but just wondered if anyone here had a under 18yr old get their own internet credit for Platinium (or elite) status?

As I understand it, although all past cruises will count towards proper Captain's Circle status once a child turns 18, while under 18, children do not get the gold/platinum/elite status or the perks that come with it.

Sorry, but I´m thoroughly confused. We´re first time platinum, on a 31 night cruise, It´s only me that would want to use the internet. I only want to use the free minutes in October.

1. Do we each have to buy a package as well? To get the benefits of the "free" internet minutes for each person, then both have to sign up and purchase the package on their accounts.

2 if we each buy a package, but only use the free minutes is the price of the package credited back to our account? The cost of the package will be refunded on your individual onboard account.

3. Can I use husband´s free time, if so will he need his own password to use? Each account will have it's own password that you set up. You can use your husband's minutes and he can also use them signing in with the same password.

See above in red

I know the paranoids will go nuts with this, but we have never put any of our valuable equipment, like camera, notebook, laptop away and nothing has happened to it on any cruise and with any cruiseline. A notebook will not fit into their safes. I do put our money and passports, small jewelry into the safe but that's it. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have kids that leave your door open and strangers can come and go out of our cabin. The cabin steward will not steal anything. It means their job which they need and want very badly. Happy Sailing!

Today 07:04 AM

I agree!

Also on the 1.1.1.1 We were recently on the Ruby and my I-phone froze and I couldn't log out. I panicked and went to the internet manager and she told me any time the wi-fi went off you were disconnected. From then on I would just turn the wi-fi off and it worked. No extra charges. Was our first time as platinum also and it was great to have the 500 minutes between us. Service was slow most of the time as we were on a transatlantic but usable.

As I understand it, although all past cruises will count towards proper Captain's Circle status once a child turns 18, while under 18, children do not get the gold/platinum/elite status or the perks that come with it.

Correct my son was 17 on our last trip he still was issued a blue card on his 3rd sailing.

So, do you actually buy the package and then get a credit on your account when Princess sees that you're Platinum?

Your onboard account will have a $75 credit applied for internet service before you even purchase a package.

Archived