SNA to San Pedro Morning of Cruise?

Seawishes

Scheduled flight arrival at Orange County (SNA) - Saturday 11:00am

Scheduled cruise sails from San Pedro - Saturday 4:00pm

Yes, I'd rather fly in the day before, and I know all of you would too.

Yes, I know traffic can close freeways for any reason and at any time.

7 or 8 times out of 10, this schedule is fine, right?

What flight are you taking into SNA? I assume it's in April 2011 for your Mexico cruise?

SNA is my "home" airport, and I use it a lot. The biggest risk with SNA is when weather problems at a hub restrict departures and arrivals, SNA flights tend to be cancelled. Also, I've hit delays on some airlines based on the dispatch patterns of their SNA flights. It varies widely by airline which is why the flight number is relevant.

Doing a timeline of claiming your bags, ground travel time to San Pedro, and the TSA required cutoff time I figure you have about 90 minutes of slack time....not a whole lot. Freeway traffic is the least of the risks, there are alternate routes. I would definitely take a shuttle (recommend Karmel shuttle). There isn't enough time to mess with a rental car. Also get trip insurance and have a Plan B in case you miss the ship.

What flight are you taking into SNA? I assume it's in April 2011 for your Mexico cruise?

SNA is my "home" airport, and I use it a lot. The biggest risk with SNA is when weather problems at a hub restrict departures and arrivals, SNA flights tend to be cancelled. Also, I've hit delays on some airlines based on the dispatch patterns of their SNA flights. It varies widely by airline which is why the flight number is relevant.

Doing a timeline of claiming your bags, ground travel time to San Pedro, and the TSA required cutoff time I figure you have about 90 minutes of slack time....not a whole lot. Freeway traffic is the least of the risks, there are alternate routes. I would definitely take a shuttle (recommend Karmel shuttle). There isn't enough time to mess with a rental car. Also get trip insurance and have a Plan B in case you miss the ship.

I would agree. I would be most concerned that Murphy's Law could happen. Even if next year isn't like this year (when there was all sorts of weather conditions causing trouble in April on the East Coast and lots of rain still happening on our coast) when it concerns weather, there's also mechanical problems that could cause a delay. If you really need to fly in the day of your cruise, find an earlier flight or make sure you have the right insurance to cover missing the ship.

Scheduled flight arrival at Orange County (SNA) - Saturday 11:00am

Scheduled cruise sails from San Pedro - Saturday 4:00pm

Yes, I'd rather fly in the day before, and I know all of you would too.

Yes, I know traffic can close freeways for any reason and at any time.

7 or 8 times out of 10, this schedule is fine, right?

You have ommited airline, city you are leaving from and date.

If you have not made the reservation fly in the night before.

If you have made the reservation I really am not sure what we can say. The bottom line is that there is risk anytime you fly in the day of embarkation from flight cancellations, delays, airport shutdowns, computer glitches, and the list goes on and on. In the end it is a personal decison if one wants to take the risk but I don't think anyone can promise you that you will be on time. What does an assurance mean if you are the one whose flight is canceled?

Keith

I think your 7 out 8 percentage is probably correct. Traffic on Saturday or Sunday usually isn't as awful, plus a good cab or shuttle driver will know other routes than the 405 freeway.

Maybe cutting it close--but sometimes you don't have the luxury to come in the day before.

No, the flight isn't booked yet. Still researching/weighing options.

Thanks for the answers.

If you haven't booked the flight then fly in the day or at least the night before.

There is this thing called Murphy's Law and if something can go wrong it will.

Keith

Shuttle will be less expensive than a taxi, especially if there's traffic. I recommend Karmel Shuttle, they are locally owned and not a national franchise. However any of the major shuttle services will be OK. If you're traveling to the port on a weekend or away from rush hour the traffic will be OK....there are plenty of alternate routes the driver will take advantage of in case the freeway is bad.

Shuttle will be less expensive than a taxi, especially if there's traffic. I recommend Karmel Shuttle, they are locally owned and not a national franchise. However any of the major shuttle services will be OK. If you're traveling to the port on a weekend or away from rush hour the traffic will be OK....there are plenty of alternate routes the driver will take advantage of in case the freeway is bad.

We flew into SNA on April 24. We had prepaid for 2 on Super Shuttle to get us to San Pedro. The dispatcher told us which van to get into...the driver of that van refused to take us--he said he would only go to Anaheim.. We informed the dispatcher and he and the driver began to scream at each other in some foreign language and the driver won ( we thought there was going to be a fist fight and no longer were willing to ride with that driver anyway.) We had to wait for another driver which went to Aneheim first anyway...it took us about 1.5 hours to get to the port...add crazy shuttle drivers to the list of unforseen events...by the way, i complained to SS..they said said they'd "talk to" the crazy driver...big deal.

CTLeeA- Too bad you had that experience, I've read similar comments occasionally with SS and Primetime at LAX too, not just SNA. Thus the suggestion of Karmel. I've never had a bad experience with them nor have I ever read about a problem on these forums or on Tripadvisor.

I forget the details but the business and pay arrangement SS has with their drivers invites the sort of problem you had.

I agree with others who have posted here that the variables of weather, connections, etc., when traveling from the East Coast to LA make flying on the same day the cruise begins risky. IF the plane actually lands at 11 a.m., then you'll be just fine. If you are delayed at all, you'll be taking a big chance.

Another thing to consider - booking a flight this far out, with all the changes in air travel, there is a good chance that your flight time will be changed. I'd book closer to sail date, or book the day before.

Good luck!

Archived