Pin number needed to link reservations?

Ghsthunter

I just booked with Carnival and in order to link my reservation with other family members I was told that I would need their booking and pin numbers. This doesn't sound right to me. Why the pin number? Any thoughts fellow cruisers?

This is correct. When you make your reservation, Carnival askes you to set up a pin # for your reservation. I think it is a safety measure by Carnival to make sure that everyone you are trying to link with agrees with being linked to each other. We have had to do this in the past when booking with friends.

My PVP never asked me to set up a pin #, she made one she thought we had used.

I went round and round when I called up the folks to get my stock credit because I didnt know my own pin numbers ... so the pax doesnt always know what the pin #'s are, they might have to call whomever they booked with.

Fire, mine does the same thing, he tells me what my pin is, it is the same each cruise. The only time that I have been asked for it by Carnival was last week. I called to check on the status of a couple of FCC's that I had sent in. Of course the one that I told them was not what they had on record. After playing the 20 question game I got the information that I needed from them.

• 5 months later...
I've had some fun when I booked online, since it doesn't give you option to set a pin but I got asked for it when I called about the booking. :rolleyes:

Same here. The majority of my sailings were booked online, and if I ever needed to call about something, it was often a challenge to get past the "PIN thing".

I called a few months back to link our reservation to the rest of my family. When we got on the Ecstasy last week, we weren't even in the same dining room. I got them to get us a table close to them. We all took turns sitting at a private 2 person table and the others sat together. Don't assume anything will be done correctly with Carnival. And don't believe anything you are told. You will get several different answers to any question when you call Carnival. Just keep trying til you get what you want. I didn't know my pin either. I think it was the first 4 of my ss#.

How did Carnival get social security #'s to use that as a pin? I've been cruising with CCL since 1997 and I don't remember ever giving them my SSN. Do I need to reserve my room at the old folks home cause my memory is going?:)

Since they already have your passport number, i think they can also do some kind of lookup in a database and get all of that extra information. I also think some information is also public records too

Since they already have your passport number, i think they can also do some kind of lookup in a database and get all of that extra information. I also think some information is also public records too

This is funny and an absolute non truth. No way CCL has everyone who travels with them SSN!!! You are asked for a 4 digit pin number usually the last of your social when you make your booking with a l CCL rep. This is for your security because you don't want an ex spouse or some undesirable to be able to link to your booking and sit at your same table for dinner or worse, book the cabin next door.

There are tales to tell of these things happening and not all with a pretty ending either.

So just set up a pin and be safe!!

This is funny and an absolute non truth. No way CCL has everyone who travels with them SSN!!! You are asked for a 4 digit pin number usually the last of your social when you make your booking with a l CCL rep. This is for your security because you don't want an ex spouse or some undesirable to be able to link to your booking and sit at your same table for dinner or worse, book the cabin next door.

There are tales to tell of these things happening and not all with a pretty ending either.

So just set up a pin and be safe!!

I've only been asked for a pin # once, since I either book online or go thru my PVP. My pin# ended up being the last 4 digits of my phone number. I am almost 100% certain that Carnival does not keep their customers SSN's on file. Identity theft, being what it is, I don't give out my SSN very often and only on a have to basis.

I usually book on-line. When I called to ask for credit after prices dropped, the CVS reuired me to choose a 4 digit PIN.

And for the OP -- it absolutely does sound right that you would need both booking and PIN number to link the reservations. Some people may not WANT to have their dining reservations linked with family members or friends on the cruise. I have frequently read stories about family or friends who invited themselves along when they learn that family/friends are taking a cruise. Sometimes, that family/friend was wanting some alone time or perhaps just doesn't want to be stuck with too much togetherness on the cruise. I doubt this is the case with your family but it does happen so Carnival needs to ensure that all parties agree and requiring the PIN ensures this.

I've linked two other reservations to my reservation just last week they only asked for MY pin not the other two...now the caveat is I only wanted them linked for dinner plans....other links did require their pin numbers as well. Hope that helps...Donna

Archived