Whale Watching in Juneau or ISP?

avatexrs

To the Board: Would you choose whalewatching in Juneau with Harv and Marv or in ISP with F.I.S.H.E.S.?

We've got 13 hours in Juneau and 6 in ISP. If we do whale watching it in Juneau, what should we do in ISP? Spouse is not interested in trekking for bears.

To the Board: Would you choose whalewatching in Juneau with Harv and Marv or in ISP with F.I.S.H.E.S.?

We've got 13 hours in Juneau and 6 in ISP. If we do whale watching it in Juneau, what should we do in ISP? Spouse is not interested in trekking for bears.

Lots more to do in Juneau. I went whale watching both at Pt. Adolphus and then later with Harv and Marv. Harv and Marv was surprised I even consider their tour after being at the world-renown whale watching area of Pt. Adolphus.

For me it would be a no-brainer to whale watch when you are at ISP.

Go where it fits your time best. Both are 100% sightings of humpbacks.

With your Juneau port time, you may want to consider the Tracy Arm boat trips- if your port time cooperates?

we did our excursion with Orca enterprise and saw two dozen whales in about 45min.

Last I read Orca is not operating from ISP/Hoonah.

Also, with ANY whale watching operator, nothing is guaranteed besides flukes, fins and tails. Same operator may see two dozen whales on a morning tour including breaching and only 2 flukes in the afternoon.

We can never judge the worthiness of the tour operator by how many whales we see :):)

Last I read Orca is not operating from ISP/Hoonah.

Also, with ANY whale watching operator, nothing is guaranteed besides flukes, fins and tails. Same operator may see two dozen whales on a morning tour including breaching and only 2 flukes in the afternoon.

We can never judge the worthiness of the tour operator by how many whales we see :):)

The fluke IS the tail.

For clarification- you can not expect anything more, than backs, tails and blows.

It is also not common to see pectoral fins either.

I just contacted Glacier Wind charters and they are fully booked for the day we want. Since FISHES is already fully booked, I am contacting other companies.

I am wondering, if everyone is full and I reserve the excursion from the cruise ship, will the experience be the same?

Or the cruise ship excursions will be far worse than these independent contractors?

Please advice....

Thanks

I was in Juneau last week and took Celebrity Salmon bake/whale watch was only five whales. At ISP people who took the whale watching saw a lot more and were much more active. In fact at dinner we have whales come up to the side of the boats and play for ten minutes. In addition the ISP staff said it had happen the day before. At ISP people were happy with the private as well as the cruise lines. Also went to Sitka and tood the Sea Otter/Whale watch and saw several large groups of sea otters and seven whales playing . The private tours were in the same area as the cruise lines boats, in fact the crew said they were sharing info.

I just contacted Glacier Wind charters and they are fully booked for the day we want. Since FISHES is already fully booked, I am contacting other companies.

I am wondering, if everyone is full and I reserve the excursion from the cruise ship, will the experience be the same?

Or the cruise ship excursions will be far worse than these independent contractors?

Please advice....

Thanks

The ship tours are shorter. See if Keith has anything available http://www.teckkoutfittersicystrait.com/

Please advice....

Thanks

Here's another option: The new owners of the Galley Deli, now called Misty Bay Lodge and Deli offer whale watching tours and can arrange bear searches, and even flightseeing. They have a brand new boat and have had some great feedback from their whale watching trips! To contact simply google Misty Bay Lodge and Deli in Hoonah AK; call and ask for Hope.

Ear Mountain charters will begin its Summer season beginning the first week of June. They are beginning their third season and have a fast comfortable boat. You can google Ear mountain charters to find their web site.

If you can't go with Glacier Winds or FISHES then my next try would be Keith with TECKK. Don't think you could go wrong with either of them they are all locals and have been in the business before the cruise ships started stopping there.

Archived