Day before departure-Best Hotel?

mrsd2fan

We are sailing the 02/06/11 Adventure of the Seas also - from what I have read - we are thinking of trying Priceline (Resorts) - most have been saying that is the best.

Haven't done it yet though - like you - still trying to find out the best place for sure.

Departing on Adventure of the seas next Feb. 6, thinking about arriving the day before..what hotel is best/safest to stay in nearest to the pier?

Hello neighbor!! Hubby and I live in Oswego.. We are cruising in January.. We have a good size group going from here!! We got rooms at the Holiday Inn Express..We wanted the Sheraton in Old San Juan but no rooms were available for one night..Good luck!!! Lynne :)

2/12/2011 Serenade of the Seas. All reading I have done so far indicates RCI departures for SOS and AOS are from the Pan Am terminal across the inlet from the OSJ piers. Fairly inconvenient to hotels and not walkable from OSJ (easily anyway). Could change but if you view San Juan with GoogleEarth Serenade is parked at the Pan Am location so looks like they've used that for awhile.

Per other posts looks like taxi from OSJ is fairly quick and inexpensive (in relative terms) at $10 plus bag charges.

My feelings are leaning towards disregarding location relative to pier and going for features and price wherever best since taxi or van will be required anyway. Critical for us will be restuarants within walking and wheelchair distance from wherever we end up. We're going to be a group of eight with some coming in two nights ahead and the rest the night before but the one night we all want to be together to travel to port at same time. We're just starting to explore hotels.

Hello neighbor!! Hubby and I live in Oswego.. We are cruising in January.. We have a good size group going from here!! We got rooms at the Holiday Inn Express..We wanted the Sheraton in Old San Juan but no rooms were available for one night..Good luck!!! Lynne :)

Howdy neighbor!

Can't wait for this cruise! We sailed this same ship (AOS) in 2007 out of P.R. we lived in Georgia at that time, so we didn't really need to worry about snow storms...

Howdy neighbor!

Can't wait for this cruise! We sailed this same ship (AOS) in 2007 out of P.R. we lived in Georgia at that time, so we didn't really need to worry about snow storms...

Don't ye be talking about snow storms now..:eek: I want summer to get here!!:D What brought you to central NY??

As has been mentioned, there really isn't anything convenient to the Pan American pier, and that's not just about hotels. There are no restaurants, stores... just a small airport. The Caribe Hilton is the nearest hotel other than the convention center, but you'd still need a taxi (come to think of it, I wouldn't even recommend walking from the convention center - the road to the port is narrow, congested when a ship is embarking/disembarking and has no sidewalks). Also, there aren't many choices for food nearby the Caribe Hilton, and I've heard the restaurants within the hotel are very pricey.

The two sections of the city you'll want to research are the Condado (seperated from the Caribe Hilton by a bridge and lagoon) and Isla Verde, which is near the airport. There are MANY hotels in those two areas, and plenty of restaurant choices as well as places to buy soda/water/supplies (define "supplies" however you feel appropriate) within walking distance.

I've successfully used Priceline and stayed at the Intercontinental three times. I also have used Hotwire and stayed at the San Juan Water & Beach Club, when a snowstorm at home prevented us from being able to get there for two days (oh, the horror - trapped in PR for two extra days!). I would stay at either again, although I like the Intercontinental better (much nicer rooms and pool area).

We had two night pre cruise and stayed at the Milano Hotel a very small cozy hotel in a good location in San Juan.

Suggest that if you have two nights pre-cruise stay in Old San Juan, but if only one night pre-cruise stay closer to the Pan American port. However it is only about $3/person cab from Milano to Pan American dock.

Old San Juan can be toured on your own by walking and use of the free bus transportation that they have.

Old San Juan port is used for cruise ships that are just stopping in San Juan which we will do again in October. Most embarkation and disembarkations are done at the Pan American port.

What did you bid and what did you get? We are sailing on the same cruise - have you checked out the roll call yet?

A few days ago I got the Marriott Stellaris for $110. I selected "resorts."

i BID $115..TOO CHICKEN TO GO LOWER AND GOT THE MARRIOTT STELARIS ALSO...

Wonder what type of rooms they give you when you bid on priceline? anyone know?

It's my first time using Priceline, so not sure. I started out at $85 and after upping my bid a few times, I got an email from Priceline that said "resorts in San Juan for $110" so I just decided to go for it. I had to book 2 rooms for 2 nights each so I felt better just getting it settled.

We stayed at the Marriott Stellaris in January 2008 bid through Priceline and got a city view room but they upgraded us at no additional charge to an ocean view room. I guess it helps if you have a Marriott Visa/Rewards card. Going again in January next year but unsure what to bid, we'd like to stay at the Marriott again. Restaurants and a Walgreens within walking distance. :)

i BID $115..TOO CHICKEN TO GO LOWER AND GOT THE MARRIOTT STELARIS ALSO...

Wonder what type of rooms they give you when you bid on priceline? anyone know?

Archived