Volcanic Ash coverage

Ferrieg

Need advice in this area. We will be traveling from the States to Barcelona for a cruise. Our plans have us in Barcelona the day before the cruise which normally would be just fine. With the recent air delays, I am concerned that we may not make it even with early travel.

We are cruising with royal caribbean and their insurance says it will reimburse up to 75% of the cruise cost (as credit towards another cruise not cash) if we cancel for ANY reason which sounds like what I would need. My agent says that is not the policy.

Any advice. How are others handling the travel issues this summer or am I overly worried?

Thanks and grateful to have such a wonderful problem.

Need advice in this area. We will be traveling from the States to Barcelona for a cruise. Our plans have us in Barcelona the day before the cruise which normally would be just fine. With the recent air delays, I am concerned that we may not make it even with early travel.

We are cruising with royal caribbean and their insurance says it will reimburse up to 75% of the cruise cost (as credit towards another cruise not cash) if we cancel for ANY reason which sounds like what I would need. My agent says that is not the policy.

Any advice. How are others handling the travel issues this summer or am I overly worried?

Thanks and grateful to have such a wonderful problem.

Most, but not all, US-based third-party insurers are viewing future volcano/ash eruptions as a weather-related event. So their handling of cancellation/interruptions/delays will be handled according to the policy wording relating to weather-related losses. However, there is a wide range of coverages for weather events so there is no general answer to your question. Find a policy that seems to suit your needs and call the insurer to go over exactly how they will help you if you can't reach the sip in time for sailing. Can you cancel? Are you obligated to try to catch up with the ship? Will the policy cover the cost of catching up with the ship and the value of whatever days of the cruise have been lost?

As far as the RCI insurance, there's lots of posts on the RCI board about what their insurance did or did not do for those that couldn't make their sailings.

It all depends on which policy you purchased and what day. Check this link for the latest information:

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/blog/the-skinny-on-the-iceland-volcano-and-travel-insurance/

As for RCCL sponsored insurance; the any-reason cancellation part must occur before the scheduled start date of your trip. You cannot go to the airport and then discover that your flights are not going....your trip technically already started and it is too late to cancel. Trip interruption coverage takes over at this point, but it is not any-reason.

Thanks for the words and particularly for the link.I am a novice with travel insurance and see that I wasn't asking the right questions and, unfortunately, no one I was dealing with was offering the details. Am so much better equipped to deal with this now.

Thanks, again. Hoping to cruise in Europe this summer but weighing the risks involved.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up,posted this in a few areas to let everyone know...acc.to Drudgereport.com a NEW volcano may erupt soon,right next too OLd one...doublechecked and insurance WILL cover this because not a KNOWN event,,,,called to reconfirm,my policy was unclear,,,said an "internal memo" and its covered....makes me nervous...still will not cover OLD one since I bought after April 15,,,Unless its written down I m always nervous,what do you think,should we be worried??:eek: This has been a difficult vacation season, volcano,strikes,etc...will be just glad to get there and get home,and have a great cruise....;)

Archived