Been here done that..... Barcelona

The Feria d'Abril, a week long party in a custom-built tented village near the Barcelonetta takes place about the third week in April is a great opportunity to have fun in a totally non-tourist environment. You have to be able to do late nights, though! It doesn't really get going much before midnight.

Cruisingallover- how long do you have? Depending on that answer and your interests, I am sure there are many options. Are you into food/ wine, art, outdoors, etc? While not exactly non-touristy, have you been to Montserrat? The Picasso Museum? I think you may be there during the Sonar Festival which is a really big deal...translation- a bit of a mob scene. We have been with kids in tow so our sight seeing has been limited to kid friendly types of things.

Cruisingallover- how long do you have? Depending on that answer and your interests, I am sure there are many options. Are you into food/ wine, art, outdoors, etc? While not exactly non-touristy, have you been to Montserrat? The Picasso Museum? I think you may be there during the Sonar Festival which is a really big deal...translation- a bit of a mob scene. We have been with kids in tow so our sight seeing has been limited to kid friendly types of things.

been to the museum.

thought Montserrat was far away? How would we get there by public transportation? I think we are there from 7 am to 6pm.

Love food, outdoors and wine :)

You have a good amount of time- perfect for a day trip to Montserrat and some wine/ tapas before returning to the ship. We took the train- part of a week long land based vacation last summer. It is beautiful. After viewing the monastery, Go the very top and do some easy hiking. Incredible views. Make sure you get back in plenty of time to line up for the return train.

How to Get to Montserrat from Barcelona

The easiest way to get to Montserrat is via train from Barcelona. Trains run from the station at Placa Espanya starting at 9am. About five to ten trains run each day, depending on the season. A combination ticket for the train to Montserrat and the cable car to the top of the mountain where the monastery is located can be purchased at the station. The ride lasts about an hour, and follows the River Llobregat. Exit the train at the Aeri de Montserrat station, which is the lowest stop for the Montserrat cable car. The cable car ride to the top is quite exciting and runs every 15 minutes.

I'm sure others will have more ideas for you. Have a great trip!

If you love food, check out some of the foodie websites' recommendations of where to eat in Barcelona. I have found the food there to be fantastic -- creative, imaginative, and delicious. However, the true non-touristy great restaurants require a decent investment.

Have you been to the museum behind the Gothic cathedral that showcases the ancient Roman city remains? Fascinating and very well done.

How to Get to Montserrat from Barcelona

The easiest way to get to Montserrat is via train from Barcelona. Trains run from the station at Placa Espanya starting at 9am. About five to ten trains run each day, depending on the season. A combination ticket for the train to Montserrat and the cable car to the top of the mountain where the monastery is located can be purchased at the station. The ride lasts about an hour, and follows the River Llobregat. Exit the train at the Aeri de Montserrat station, which is the lowest stop for the Montserrat cable car. The cable car ride to the top is quite exciting and runs every 15 minutes.

I believe the trains from Placa Espanya actually start running at 7:37 am, but when you get to the Monsterrat stop, you have to take the rail car because the cable car does not start running until after 9:00 am.

Archived