diebetic meals

I have called and asked about special meals for a diabetic diet. First I should say my husband follows his diet completely, no russet potatoes, only dream field pasta, very little rice (one cup every six months) and only double fiber bread, etc. Will they substitute sweet potatoes, red/yellow potatoes for mashed, fried at dinner and breakfast? The lady on the phone said he can pick through the food and find something to eat. Hello, he wants to eat well and doesn't need or want to lose weight. Are they very accommodating? Thank you.

My husband is also diabetic and has never ordered special meals on any of our cruises or trips anywhere else. He knows how many carb servings he can have with each meal and snack and often orders extra veggies but has not tried to substitute anything on the menu. With all of the choices on the menu each night there is always something that works for his meals.

^ Yes, I'd agree with househunter. I am just off Oasis and every meal I found something I could eat, and enjoy! I was anxious about being on a cruise with so many food choices (temptation!), but actually, the choices make it easier. I ate a lot of salads (I ordered a plain plate of greens/raw veggies at dinner) and counted my carbs. I made up my own sandwiches in the buffet using lots of veggies and protein. Fruit is abundant so obviously, he'll be careful about that.

The bread onboard looked to be a multigrain - it certainly wasn't double fiber. The rice I saw was white - I declined it. I did not see (nor did I ask for) whole wheat pasta so I don't know if they use it. There are sugar-free desserts and cookies offered, but as you know, they still contain carbs so do not be misled.

Forgive me, but I don't understand your comment about the "one cup of rice every six months"; while it's true it is higher on the glycemic index than other foods, a small amount of rice is acceptable on a diabetic diet and as you know, the carbs in it just need to be counted.

I understand your husband wanting to eat the way he normally eats, but honestly, given what you've said I don't know that it will be 100% possible. As househunter said, there are other choices so perhaps he will just need to be conscientious and count his carbs like diabetics need to do. The dining room staff will do their best to accomodate you but I think it's best you both go with some flexibility and open minds.

Sorry about not saying the question correctly. For breakfast and dinner can or do they serve red/yellow, or sweet potatoes for mashed, scalloped, fried in place for russet? Just a quick summary. I (we) are foodies. Love good food. We only eat at nice places that use red/yellow etc. potatoes. Once my husband ate 6 fries and his blood sugar went sky rocket. We don't go by ADA recomended guide lines. It is not good. So a russet, starchy, never touches his lips. As for pasta, we only eat Dream Field, ordered on line. It has 30 carbs per box, not serving. It is by no means whole wheat, which does not taste as good. To much to wish for I guess on RC.

Sorry about not saying the question correctly. For breakfast and dinner can or do they serve red/yellow, or sweet potatoes for mashed, scalloped, fried in place for russet? Just a quick summary. I (we) are foodies. Love good food. We only eat at nice places that use red/yellow etc. potatoes. Once my husband ate 6 fries and his blood sugar went sky rocket. We don't go by ADA recomended guide lines. It is not good. So a russet, starchy, never touches his lips. As for pasta, we only eat Dream Field, ordered on line. It has 30 carbs per box, not serving. It is by no means whole wheat, which does not taste as good. To much to wish for I guess on RC.

I am positive that you are not going to find a specific brand of pasta that you happen to special order at home onboard. Diabetics measure carb servings and even though a white potato may have a lower glycemic index than a sweet potato, the carbs are almost identical. I think that for a week your husband will find plenty to eat- does he have to eat potatoes or can he do without for 7 days? Same with pasta. It is only a week and there are plenty of options for everyone including diabetics on cruiseships. There are tons of protein and vegetable options that will satisfy anyone.

I find this such an interesting thread.

I am not diabetic, but for the last 5 weeks have been on a dr. supervised weight loss plan very similar to Atkins (eating 500 cals of protein per day, plus either 2 servings of certain veggies or a serving of those veggies and a serving of certain fruits) and have lost 18.4 lbs in that 5 week span. I'm hopeful that I will hit my goal weight within the next month or so, but our cruise in August concerns me.

I don't count my carb intake per say, as I eat so little of it. But I'm expecting when I hit goal, that I will be working on a maintenance plan which will help me find that balance between some carb intake and keeping a stable weight. I've noticed when looking at many recipes that are geared to diabetics (in order to limit my sugar) that the recipes still contain quite a bit of carbs.

I'm assuming that most diabetics work with their drs to come up with a plan that helps them to know the level of carb intake they are allowed in order to keep their blood sugar levels even, correct? And do you simply learn the carb counts of most foods on the go? I think I'll have to discuss this with my dr and nutritionist so that when we cruise, I can better figure out what I can have and where my limits are so that I keep my weight under control.

This is all pretty new to me, and since my carb intake is probably limited to about 10 or so grams of carbs daily (which comes from the veggies, as I prefer them to the fruits), I have no idea what is an "acceptable" level to consume.

I would think that the number is different for diabetics vs. those who live a low carb lifestyle for weight purposes.

I am not diabetic, but for the last 5 weeks have been on a dr. supervised weight loss plan very similar to Atkins (eating 500 cals of protein per day, plus either 2 servings of certain veggies or a serving of those veggies and a serving of certain fruits) and have lost 18.4 lbs in that 5 week span. I'm hopeful that I will hit my goal weight within the next month or so, but our cruise in August concerns me.

I don't count my carb intake per say, as I eat so little of it. But I'm expecting when I hit goal, that I will be working on a maintenance plan which will help me find that balance between some carb intake and keeping a stable weight. I've noticed when looking at many recipes that are geared to diabetics (in order to limit my sugar) that the recipes still contain quite a bit of carbs.

I'm assuming that most diabetics work with their drs to come up with a plan that helps them to know the level of carb intake they are allowed in order to keep their blood sugar levels even, correct? And do you simply learn the carb counts of most foods on the go? I think I'll have to discuss this with my dr and nutritionist so that when we cruise, I can better figure out what I can have and where my limits are so that I keep my weight under control.

This is all pretty new to me, and since my carb intake is probably limited to about 10 or so grams of carbs daily (which comes from the veggies, as I prefer them to the fruits), I have no idea what is an "acceptable" level to consume.

I would think that the number is different for diabetics vs. those who live a low carb lifestyle for weight purposes.

Definitely meet with your nutritionist once you have reached your goal weight and come up with a maintainence plan to use. My DH is a diabetic who is following the South Beach diet to lose weight and control his diabetes. He can have carbs but stays away from "white" carbs like potatoes, white breads and pastas (including that Dreamfields pasta the OP eats). Sweet potatoes are acceptable but only in moderation because they are so high in natural sugars. We stay away from rice and have found pearlized barley to be a great alternative. I even make a barley risotto that he likes better than regular risotto.

You will be able to make your diet work on a cruise. You have learned what you can eat and the cruiseline is great at substituting steam veges for starch at dinner, no sauces etc.

Congrats on your weight loss. I hope you are able to stick with it. We have been able to follow South Beach while travelling without much effort, I hope you have the same success.:)

Once my husband ate 6 fries and his blood sugar went sky rocket.

That seems extreme. Does your husband take medication to help control his blood sugar?

To much to wish for I guess on RC.

Well don't forget, cruise lines cater to the masses, not the individual. You will not find your special pasta onboard, and I'm not sure about the red potatoes either. To answer your question specifically, no they do not serve red/yellow or sweet potatoes at meals that I saw. You will have to order them specially and I don't know if they will have them. Just ask.

What did the phone rep say when you called them? Have you also tried sending an e-mail? From the website:

"You may also send an e-mail request to special_needs@rccl.com ; please include in the e-mail the guests' names, booking number, ship name and sail date. E-mails will receive an automated response. We kindly ask that guests do not call Royal Caribbean International suppliers with specific questions."

It really depends on the persons, age, weight etc. My husband is not overweight and controls his diabeties only thru diet. He is allowed 4 carb servings (60 grams) for each meal and 2 servings (30 grams) for 2 snacks per day.

You are losing weight because you are consuming less calories than you burn-there is no other way to lose weight. It is all calories in vs calories out. If you are only eating about 700 calories a day (estimating per your post) of course you will lose weight! You would lose the same weight if you ate 700 calories of carbs though. Most Drs agree that carbs are healthy and should be eaten with each meal- limiting your carb intake to that extent will only permenantly mess up your metabolism though and is not a healthy way to lose.

Dear house hunter, all carbs are not the same. A russet potatoe ( baked, french fries) are not burned by the body the same as a waxy potatoes. You will not get blood sugar spikes with waxy potatoes. That is why you can't eat rice. Brown or white rice just can't be burned slowly like a waxy potatoes. I did not expect dream field pasta to be served, I just want to know about the potatoes. Red/yellow potatoes are cheap. Can be made into mashed or fried for hash browns. Can you get them on the ship? Has anyone asked. My husband is 5'11 and ways 160. He does not want to lose weight. He is not willing to ruin A1C by eating regular pasta or potatoes. He shouldn't have to. We aren't asking for something exotic, just red/yellow potatoes. No I got no answer from RC. I emailed and called and got no suitable answers.

Betty, I answered you above. I have cruised with RCI 6 times and have never seen red or yellow potatoes. I have not seen a lot of sweet potatoes either. That doesn't mean they don't have them, of course. By the way, where I live, red and yellow potatoes are more expensive than russets. I buy reds if I am planning a special dish.

I understand your husband does not want to eat outside of his regular routine; however, I suggest you prepare yourselves for the fact that he will not be able to consume the types of foods he usually does at home. Remember that Oasis has to feed a city - there were over 5000 passengers alone on my cruise last week, and another 2000 crew members. They buy in bulk, and that usually means white potatoes and white rice.

As I said, if you want something specific, ask for it. Your dining room waiter may be able to get it for you. If they have it, you can have it. They are willing to accomodate special diets if possible.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

Dear house hunter, all carbs are not the same. A russet potatoe ( baked, french fries) are not burned by the body the same as a waxy potatoes. You will not get blood sugar spikes with waxy potatoes. That is why you can't eat rice. Brown or white rice just can't be burned slowly like a waxy potatoes. I did not expect dream field pasta to be served, I just want to know about the potatoes. Red/yellow potatoes are cheap. Can be made into mashed or fried for hash browns. Can you get them on the ship? Has anyone asked. My husband is 5'11 and ways 160. He does not want to lose weight. He is not willing to ruin A1C by eating regular pasta or potatoes. He shouldn't have to. We aren't asking for something exotic, just red/yellow potatoes. No I got no answer from RC. I emailed and called and got no suitable answers.

My husband has perfect A1C levels and he eats potatos and rice! He just counts the carbs are directed by his doctor and nutritionist. There is no reason your husband has to worry about losing weight- there are tons of choices as many of us have reported.

We have just booked our 33 cruise and on the past 32 on RC (17) and 5 other cruise lines the best you can hope for is to see a Sugar Free dessert. I don't think I have ever seen any attention to anyone blood sugar. Only in the recent years have they started vegtarian meals.

As a diabetic I just use common sense and know that my blood sugar will be higher then normal. Within a week my blood sugars are back to normal and my A1C isn't affected for 7 days out of 90. They are not counting your carbs or using high fiber multi grain anything. Sorry:(

We have just booked our 33 cruise and on the past 32 on RC (17) and 5 other cruise lines the best you can hope for is to see a Sugar Free dessert. I don't think I have ever seen any attention to anyone blood sugar. Only in the recent years have they started vegtarian meals.

As a diabetic I just use common sense and know that my blood sugar will be higher then normal. Within a week my blood sugars are back to normal and my A1C isn't affected for 7 days out of 90. They are not counting your carbs or using high fiber multi grain anything. Sorry:(

It is not the cruiselines's responsibility to count your carbs, it is yours and it is very easily done a cruiseship where there is so much choice. Yes there is whole grain breads and roll, there are tons of vegetable and protein choices and more fruit choices than you will probably have at home.

As a diabetic I just use common sense and know that my blood sugar will be higher then normal. Within a week my blood sugars are back to normal and my A1C isn't affected for 7 days out of 90.

Agree completely.

~

There are usually three sugar-free dessert choices in the buffet, and one in the dining room. They are a little misleading, of course - they still contain plenty of carbs, so I declined rolls, rice, and potatoes at dinner in order to have one dessert each evening. The sugar-free Key Lime Pie was delicious!

Agree completely.

~

There are usually three sugar-free dessert choices in the buffet, and one in the dining room. They are a little misleading, of course - they still contain plenty of carbs, so I declined rolls, rice, and potatoes at dinner in order to have one dessert each evening. The sugar-free Key Lime Pie was delicious!

That was going to be my question, my Dad is diabetic and he loves desserts! Thanks for the tip on the PIE :D, I will tell him. I have been on several cruises with him, he adjusts and yes his levels are higher than normal when we cruise. However, he feels that life is short and now and then within reason he likes to treat himself and cheat just a little!! ENJOY!!

Your husband may have to choose more veggies instead of potatoes/rice for dinner but for breakfast bring a loaf of his favorite high fiber bread. You can use the toaster in the Windjammer for breakfast and make yummy sandwiches at lunch. A few years ago when I was being careful I did that and it worked out very well. Good Luck

Recently cruised on Carnival - Splendor - I have celiac disease and cannot have anything with gluten. I had filled out a special needs form and the first thing we did when we got on the ship we went to the main dining room and discussed my dietary restrictions.

They were awesome - I would choose my meals the day before - I did not feel I was missing out on anything (well....maybe the good bread!!) - Carnival went above and beyond to make sure I did NOT get something that would make me sick...

So - I would suggest contacted the Special Needs Dept - send the form in and first thing on the ship talk to the dining room folks.

I would think this would be true for any medically required special diet.

I am hyperinsulinemic (I create too much insulin thus leading to drastic drops in blood sugar levels) and have to also follow on a similar diet. They are very accommodating when the need is brought up...by the middle of the cruise my waiter understood I was not able to eat any of the desserts and such and when dessert menus were brought out he would wink at me and tell me he had it under control and that there was a "special treat" being made lol. And then when desert was brought out, he would bring me something like a poached pear (which, believe it or not, was DELICIOUS) or sugar free pie (which was, also, delicious), etc.

I have only cruised RCCL once and I was pretty sure that for dinner one night we had the roasted red potatoes...not sure if you can eat those or not, I am not really familiar with this type of thing...

I know my mother in law is a diabetic but she still eats anything and everything and just takes like 12 pills a day to regulate her diabetes...yet my grandmother just did so by her diet so I think my mother in law thinks it is easier to eat whatever and take pills to fix it.

Anyway, I am sure they can accomodate you in some way...I know when we go to certain countries I can't eat the cheeses and fried foods for the week as they are different then here and they make me sick and it is hard to eat a different way for a week but you manage...

Archived