Revell QM2 model

Colin_Cameron

Christmas 2007 a friend gave me a model of QM2

Well, after more than two years and countless hours of work it's finally finished!

showfull.php?photo=15926

showfull.php?photo=15925

showfull.php?photo=15928

showfull.php?photo=15929

showfull.php?photo=15927

showfull.php?photo=15931

Thank goodness that's over. Colin.

EDIT:Hmm. For some reason the pictures dont show up?

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showfull.php?photo=15926

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showfull.php?photo=15925

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showfull.php?photo=15928

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showfull.php?photo=15929

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showfull.php?photo=15927

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showfull.php?photo=15931

Christmas 2007 a friend gave me a model of QM2

Well, after more than two years and countless hours of work it's finally finished!

Colin,

what scale is that model? I acquired one last Christmas that I haven't started work on yet; but I'm pretty sure it's much smaller scale than your's.

J

Your model is fantastic. We have a collegue at work who will work on wooden ships on his lunch and breaks. He does old sailing ships though.

Do you have any little dogs in the dog walking area? :D

I enjoyed looking at your pics. Thanks for sharing!

Superb work! :cool: Thank you for posting the pictures, 2 years was a good pace. I also have this kit and figure I will take somewhat longer. One of the reasons I have taken so many pictures of her while I have been aboard. I just hope I can equal your work. Many thanks.:)

must have the patience of a saint
No, but my wife does!

The kit was actually a present for both of us but when I bought her a spray gun for her birthday, to get a perfect finish on the painting, she didn't seem that impressed:confused:

Women Huh?

what scale is that model?
Its 1/400. the model is a fraction under 3ft long, with the case, a bit over.

I was looking for a decent bit of timber for a base and a friend called to say he had found the perfect thing for me. We went over to his house, and just about wet ourselves when he came into the room carrying ..... a coffin lid!:eek: But it is a beautiful piece of 70 year old oak.

Do you have any little dogs in the dog walking area?
No, but I do have a "Commodore Warwick". He stands a mightily impressive 4.5mm tall and comes with detailed instructions on how to paint the bands on his sleeves! The BRAID ON HIS HAT! And the BUTTONS ON HIS JACKET! He's still in the box.

you could have spent several thousand pounds to achieve the same effect,
I think I did!

There must be about £70 worth of paint on it. The "Federal Grey" hull paint was the difficult bit. I tried to charm some of the genuine article out of a crew member painting in port one day, but ended up in front of the Chief Officer. He explained that there were two problems, 1/ the paint, when wet, was toxic. So he couldn't give me any. and 2/ the paint dissolves plastic model kits, as he found out to his cost when trying to do exactly the same thing. I did however manage to convince him to let me take some of the large, chipped-off flakes in order to colour match my own mix. And to be honest I can't tell the difference.

Add glue, filler, spraygun, the loungers, deckchairs, tables & chairs, tennis net and raquets, basketball hoops, lifebelts, the clocks(which are also still in the box because I can't see the hands and numerals, never mind paint them), all the railings (because the ones in the kit are plastic and not quite to scale), they're all extra.

Plus I HAD to book a two night trip on her (just to check up on the finer details). But because my wife couldn't make the trip it's cost me twice as much to get myself out of that situation as the cruise cost.

I'd have been cheaper buying a prebuilt (but less accurate) model.

When we were advised that it would take 750-1000 hours work (an underestimate) to build the model my wife asked our (ex:D)friends if they were paying for the divorce lawyers.

Now to start on my two year long "To Do" list.

Regards, Colin

Its 1/400. the model is a fraction under 3ft long, with the case, a bit over.

Many thanks Colin. The version I have is only 1/1200 - maybe it won't take me so long to build (and it certainly won't need as much paint) :D

J

Hi Colin

Well done Colin, the model looks great, it's nice to see the Scottish keeping up the great ship building tradition even if it's not full size, can't say the same about ship building here in Belfast, my QM2 kit's still in it's box after 4 years.

It was lovely meeting you on the QV, hope your both keeping well and you made it home OK the other week, did you stay on board for the next cruise?

michael mac

• 2 weeks later...

OP:

Nice work!:)

Where did you obtain the extra's (below) or how did you make them?:confused:

Add glue, filler, spraygun, the loungers, deckchairs, tables & chairs, tennis net and raquets, basketball hoops, lifebelts, the clocks(which are also still in the box because I can't see the hands and numerals, never mind paint them), all the railings (because the ones in the kit are plastic and not quite to scale), they're all extra.

Beautiful work. What an outstanding model. Do you know the White Ensign Models brand of model supplies in the UK? They are very good with excellant quality and selection and are worth a look. I build SIBs so may I suggest viewing the 1:1200 scale QM2 at: bateaux en bouteille. His QM2 in a bottle is amazing. Again, you have done a lovely piece of work. roland in New Scotland

The version I have is only 1/1200
I bought one of those to practice with as I hadn't built a kit since I was a kid.

It was lovely meeting you on the QV, hope your both keeping well and you made it home OK the other week, did you stay on board for the next cruise?
Hi Michael. Good to be able to put faces to names. No. I went to the desk but they only had one (D8 inside) cabin available. Because it was the only one they wanted full fare for it. Dearer for an inside for four nights than we had payed for a balcony for seven:( So I had to bite the bullet and start packing

Where did you obtain the extra's
I made the brown life-vest storage boxes and longer stacks from plastic off-cuts, and the table tennis table from thin brass plate. All the other stuff came from this kit from Gold Medal Models.

I also have this kit and figure I will take somewhat longer. One of the reasons I have taken so many pictures of her while I have been aboard.
I too took lots of pictures but still had to scour the web for some detail or other. If you find you need a picture of some part of the ship drop me a line and I'll see if I can help.

The kit and instructions are pretty good but not perfect. If you're interested here's my list of "fixes". It's not exhaustive either and some of them I didn't bother with, and some I wish I had (the windows on decks 2&3).

Step 7 HULL

part (2) & (3) reshape deck 5 aft openings

part (2) & (3) fit bars to hull balconies below liferafts.

part (2) & (3) open all window, porthole and mooring deck openings

Step 8 & 9 STABILISERS

part (4)G wrong colour. should be E

Step 10 HULL

hull colour C inaccurate. Try approx 50/50 mix of 350/378 darkened with a few drops of black

Step 13 DECKS 5/6 AFT

part (31)J colour should be G, light grey

part (33)J bottom of stairs should be open.

part (50)I windows too narrow (frames too thick)

part (50)I windows on curved part should come out to corners

Step 15 DECK 7

part (34) The mounting holes for the stairs at aft of deck 7 are in the wrong place. See step 81. Fill holes

Step 16 POOL DECK

part (54)I the pool bar is the wrong shape. Should be open at right-hand (aft) end

part (51)J windows too narrow (frames too thick)

part (54)I Reduce buttress depth. see step 17

Step 17 TODD ENGLISH

part (52)J windows too narrow (frames too thick)

part (52)J slightly too far forward. should be no overhang from balcony above. cut at corner behind portside stairs to allow this.

part (52)J small section removed above. part with three windows should align with centre section.

Step 18 & 21 SUPERSTRUCTURE

part (38)I & (39)I doors into Kings Court are wrong shape. Wooden doors with round 'porthole'

Step 21 SUPERSTRUCTURE

part (38)I forward two windows on deck 7 are shown on the instructions but for some reason didn't make it to the plastic..

Step 25 DUPLEX SUITES

part (53)I windows too narrow (frames too thick)

Step 26 QUEENS GRILL DECK

part (56)K lower end of stairs needs to be opened.

part (56)K poles supporting overhanging deck above missing.

Step 27 OBSERVATION DECK

part (41)I vertical poles missing. Handrail crosses windows. Door screens missing.

parts (43)L & (45)L Deck 7 doors missing.

Step 29 A STAIR DECKHOUSE

part (60)I the doors on this starboard side are wood. Don't know about portside doors

(59)I should be a thick round pillar from each end of the bar up to the roof.

Step 30 DECKHOUSE

part (63)I remove handrails. fwd door brown. rear door open

part (64)I remove handrails. fwd door open. rear door white

part (65)I remove handrails. door white

part (67)L lower area should be grey.

Step 31 B STAIR DECKHOUSE

part (70)J remove handrails.

part (71)J should be two poles supporting each stair and single pole supporting each forward projection

Step 33 FUNNEL

part (118)I wrong colour. should be red. raised box should be white.

Step 34 FUNNEL BASE

part (72)L &(73)L turbine vents should be open

part (72)L &(73)L Door frames OK but window frames too thick.

For ref: port side configuration fore-aft is D-W-W-D-W-W-D. Starboard side fore-aft is W-D-W-D-W-W-D

Step 35

part(76)I move inner two doors to first step. cut two doorway openings in centre section. centre section and steps should be brown.

Step 37 D STAIR DECKHOUSE

part (81)I the door on this side is wood

part (83)I there should be handrails across the front of this deckhouse.

part (84)I not sure about the handrail. The only pics I have show no handrail but do show mountings for one. Could be not yet installed, or removed for some reason.

Step 63 FOREDECK

part (124)I foremast should be a cross

Step 64 SPARE PROP BLADES

parts (130)G & (131)G wrong places. The four centre blades (131) are one set, the outside four (130) are another.

Step 65 RAILINGS ABOVE STAIRWAY/PRINCESS GRILL

the equivalent railings for the starboard side of the ship are not in the kit.

Step 69 STAIRS TO LOOKOUT

part (204)M & (205)M the sloping handrail, on the stairs, is chrome/steel not wood

Step 72 OBSERVATION PLATFORM

Parts (208)E & (209)F the sloping handrail, on the stairs, is chrome/steel not wood

Step 77 LOOKOUT WINDSCREEN

part [174]B no white on outside of screen. Support poles missing.

Step 81 DECK 7/8 AFT STAIRS

part (142)J & (143)J (see step 15) stairs turn the other way. The lower stairs should be inboard of the upper stairs. Mount parts on opposite sides but mounting holes are wrong.

Step 86 DECK 6 AFT

part (146)I jackstaff should be mounted inside the rail, not outside.

Good Luck!

Regards, Colin.

Archived