Will the oil spill affect any cruise stops?

FOX says they are testing the oil balls they found to see if they are connected to the BP spill .. and Iv also read the oil hasnt yet entered the florida loop, only the mexico loop.

Your answer is no one knows what it will affect, but its unlikely to affect you next week. I got off a cruise on Saturday. No effects yet. Just a brief period someone said they smelled the oil the night before we got back in.

Don't worry about it.

The slick hasn't entered the gulf loop, and even once it does it is still a few days before it would reach Key West, not to mention it would be extremely diluted. What you would likely wind up with is tar balls like shown today.

Speaking of which, those tar balls that washed up today are likely from a boat dumping bilge sludge into the water. No one has said where in the keys or which side of the keys they were found, because that would make a big difference on origin. It is unlikely from the gulf spill.

Only the offical word from NOAA says it has not entered the loop current. Every other independent source, including satellite imagery on weather underground show the spill entering the current.

We have gotten about 20 reports of tarballs between the Dry Tortugas, Key West, and Big Pine Key (30 miles up from Key West). The tar balls are washing up from the ocean side, indicating smaller amounts of oil did enter the loop current at least a week ago.

Our local news reported last night that the oil was either already within the loop or it was a minimum of 3 miles from it. BP has a task force set up here in our convention center and we have hundreds of people in town working on the spill. There have been tarballs washing up in the area here that are attributed to the oil spill

We have gotten about 20 reports of tarballs between the Dry Tortugas, Key West, and Big Pine Key (30 miles up from Key West). The tar balls are washing up from the ocean side, indicating smaller amounts of oil did enter the loop current at least a week ago.

If they're coming up ocean side, and that many, it's possible it's wash up that did enter a while ago.

I know USCG is saying it likely isn't, but they're testing.

If they're coming up ocean side, and that many, it's possible it's wash up that did enter a while ago.

I know USCG is saying it likely isn't, but they're testing.

Just FYI, I am USCG. We do believe it is from the spill, but haven't confirmed it through testing yet.

Thanks for all the replys. I feel sorry for all the people affected.

And the sea life too. I live close to the area where the rig accident happen and never realized that not only do these sea animals needs to get their bodies washed but some of them also have too have their eyes flushed too. Poor babies, how miserable. A human can always flushed their eyes out at home or go to the emergency room and have this done but can you imagine a dolphin, otter, or pelican having their eyes burning and not being able to do anything about it.

But what do you think the chances are that it will affect other cruises in the near future? Would it affect cruises in that part of the country sooner or later? (I am sorry if I sound completely clueless- I am on this particular subject.)

But what do you think the chances are that it will affect other cruises in the near future? Would it affect cruises in that part of the country sooner or later? (I am sorry if I sound completely clueless- I am on this particular subject.)

Here are a few articles that I found - Hope it helps.

http://www.examiner.com/x-22875-Orlando-Cruise-Vacations-Examiner~y2010m5d12-Carnival-determined-to-sail-through-oil-slick

http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/05/03/how-oil-spill-will-affect-new-orleans/

Right now, Carnival sails the Triumph out of NO. They have been warned that if they cruise through the oil in the Gulf, they will not be permitted to port in Key West. They did dock here yesterday, but the future seems to bring more oil south, so we shall see.

I have not heard any discussion regarding cruises out of Miami and FLL.

We do not expect to see much more than tar balls. However, with those already showing up, we really don't know what the future holds. It's a wait and see game.

Archived