Is the water too cold for swimming?

Cru1ser

i know on Celebrity Mercury there are outdoor swimming pools and indoor swimming pools. my son LOVE swimming. we will go on July 11 to July 18 to Alaska. Is the water in those swimming pools too cold for hime to swim?

thanks.

Not sure what Celebrity's policy is, but on RCI's Radiance and Vision class ships, when the weather is not compatible with swimming in the outdoor pool, families with children can use the solarium pool for a limited number of hours each day. Of course the Thalassotherapy Pool on Mercury may have a different policy but I would hope that they could find a way to accommodate your son. I believe that the water in the outdoor pool is heated when the ship is in Alaska and at times the temperatures may be fairly moderate, so if he can put up with cooler air temperatures, he might get in some pool time outside as well.

You will find children swimming but for adults it is the wind across the deck driving down temps that keeps us out of the pools. That said you may find a couple of port days in July where you might be tempted to take a dip.:)

i did foul an anchor once in thomas bay. look it up. the damn place is haunted. see if you can get a copy of "the strangest story ever told". it's gotten no better. the lovely mrs b-d now finds it a joke that some hell will break loose when we go camping there.

with t'shirt and cap, i did swim to our skiff (it did take my jolly parts a week to warm up and see daylight again). i loosed the anchor and made it to shore but was unable to start the boat's engine due to the lack of function in my extremeties. the lovely mrs b-d fails to find the humor in this situation.

the polar bear splash continues to be a hit each new year.

You will find children swimming but for adults it is the wind across the deck driving down temps that keeps us out of the pools. That said you may find a couple of port days in July where you might be tempted to take a dip.:)

That's the beauty of the Radiance and Vision class ships of RCI and at least some or most of the ships belonging to the other major cruise lines sailing in Alaska. The indoor pool with retractable roof protects you from the windchill so prevalent at the outside pool, and allows us "older" travelers to swim and sun in climate-controlled comfort.

i did foul an anchor once in thomas bay. look it up. the damn place is haunted. see if you can get a copy of "the strangest story ever told". it's gotten no better. the lovely mrs b-d now finds it a joke that some hell will break loose when we go camping there.

with t'shirt and cap, i did swim to our skiff (it did take my jolly parts a week to warm up and see daylight again). i loosed the anchor and made it to shore but was unable to start the boat's engine due to the lack of function in my extremeties. the lovely mrs b-d fails to find the humor in this situation.

I'm glad it didn't kill you.

We over nighted in Scenery Cove last week after traveling through Thomas Bay. I read the book you mentioned just last week. Was out on the bow taking a photo of the bridge at 1am. Not that I buy into the little creatures but it was a bit creepy being out there by myself listening to the sounds coming from someplace on shore in the middle of the night, after reading the book.

Hope you got your function back. Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode.

We over nighted in Scenery Cove last week after traveling through Thomas Bay. .

cool.

who were you with? i know the m/v heron often anchors there.

i once anchored the original m/v bottom-dragger right at the entrance to scenery, with the wind off the glacier and the tide we swung at anchor all night long. it was a continual moving view from the salon and the galley.

but yes, the kushtaka / otter people of thomas bay will foul your anchor, drain your battery, pull your boat plug, build a rock pile under your boat, and soak your fire wood. and according to the book, they'll sit on the gunnel of your boat and taunt you in a most vulgar fashion.

cool.

who were you with? i know the m/v heron often anchors there.

We were on the Safari Explorer. It’s a beautiful area. We stopped in Petersburg May 7 but I wasn’t able to look for your caches. Wife skiffed over for a hike on the Kupreanof Trail and I went for a run and explored town. The weather was perfect. We traveled from Petersburg to Scenery Cove that night and then hiked Baird Glacier the next morning. What an incredible place you live.

To stay consistent with the thread, we went swimming and some of the crew went water skiing. Quite entertaining.

Archived