Have you ever stayed at an AI for 7 days?

McDebbie

I've stayed at two before I ventured over to try out cruising as well. For my husband and I, AI is cheaper for us if we want a longer stay, depending on the time of year. The two resorts that we stayed at were in Jamaica. The first time we stayed at Sandals Whitehouse, which was 3500 for 6 nights, but you have to think that that also includes airfare, drinks, food, and non-motorized watersports (whereas on a cruise you would have to pay individually for excursions for snorkeling and kayaking). The second place we stayed at was Grand Palladium Jamaica. For five nights, this was 1200, including air. Gorgeous resort and included all of the above as well. I guess it helps because we fly from Florida so airfare is a bit cheaper.

That said, we tried out cruising on NCL for the first time in April. We got a great price for a 4-night trip and had a good time, but about fell over at the drink prices. I wish I could have had more than I did but I didn't want my bill to be outrageous at the end. Even though the drinks are expensive, we decided to try out Carnival because of Bon Voyage (and I didn't even order my bottle yet!! :-((((( ) and the ability to bring wine aboard. Therefore, after this cruise, back to AI's it is. At least for a while.

:rolleyes:

I've stayed at two before I ventured over to try out cruising as well. For my husband and I, AI is cheaper for us if we want a longer stay, depending on the time of year. The two resorts that we stayed at were in Jamaica. The first time we stayed at Sandals Whitehouse, which was 3500 for 6 nights, but you have to think that that also includes airfare, drinks, food, and non-motorized watersports (whereas on a cruise you would have to pay individually for excursions for snorkeling and kayaking). The second place we stayed at was Grand Palladium Jamaica. For five nights, this was 1200, including air. Gorgeous resort and included all of the above as well. I guess it helps because we fly from Florida so airfare is a bit cheaper.

That said, we tried out cruising on NCL for the first time in April. We got a great price for a 4-night trip and had a good time, but about fell over at the drink prices. I wish I could have had more than I did but I didn't want my bill to be outrageous at the end. Even though the drinks are expensive, we decided to try out Carnival because of Bon Voyage (and I didn't even order my bottle yet!! :-((((( ) and the ability to bring wine aboard. Therefore, after this cruise, back to AI's it is. At least for a while.

My friend and I are both turnign 50 in 2011 :rolleyes: Looks now like we will be doing an AI for the 1st time. There will probably be 4-6 total, all women. Where would you recommend??

Thanks for the help!

DH and I stayed in an AI in Aruba a few years ago for 10 nights and LOVED it!! We stayed at the Divi Divi, and it was ON the beach. A very good deal at the time. Conde Nast put the place in their magazine as a great bargain for vacation, and since we went, the price has DOUBLED:mad: Lots to do in Aruba, and just gorgeous. Would go back in a heartbeat if the price was right, but now the cruise is cheaper. We are actually cruising next March and Aruba is on the itinery. I know I'll really hate leaving that island:(

:rolleyes:

My friend and I are both turnign 50 in 2011 :rolleyes: Looks now like we will be doing an AI for the 1st time. There will probably be 4-6 total, all women. Where would you recommend??

Thanks for the help!

Palladium and Iberostar have some great resorts there - check them out. Have a great trip too :D

Litewait.

I hate to jump in conversation and I have not stayed at Grand Palladium in Jamaica, but when we stayed at Sandals MoBay--90% were on a honeymoon or got married there. It was very nice, but the seemed like anytime you met someone you had to hear how they met, where they got married, etc. After about 3 days it got old. I have thought about my next trip to stay at Grand Palladium also.

LiteWait--

Definitely the Grand Palladium. Prices are higher this year than they were last, but it's still a great value. This is about a 45 min ride from the MoBay airport. There are many restuarants-- Jamaican, Asian, Indian, Steakhouse, Italian, Mexican, and seafood. Plus a buffet, for dinner. The Jamaica side is for adults and children. The Lady Hamilton side is for adults only. One of the pools there is HUGE and beautiful. Plus a swim-up bar. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Drink a Hummingbird while for me if you go-- I LOVE Jamaica.

We have done 6 ...

2 in cancun years ago..2 in Cozumel (dive trips) and 2 with the kids both Club Med one in Europe and one in the DR..It is relaxing and if you are going with children there are some fantastic resorts for families that have wonderful childrens programs..I think we are busier on the cruises..The land vacations we have done were very laid back...I enjoy both!

LiteWait--

Definitely the Grand Palladium. Prices are higher this year than they were last, but it's still a great value. This is about a 45 min ride from the MoBay airport. There are many restuarants-- Jamaican, Asian, Indian, Steakhouse, Italian, Mexican, and seafood. Plus a buffet, for dinner. The Jamaica side is for adults and children. The Lady Hamilton side is for adults only. One of the pools there is HUGE and beautiful. Plus a swim-up bar. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Drink a Hummingbird while for me if you go-- I LOVE Jamaica.

Great site here for the Palladium

http://www.palladiumaddict.net/jamaica-lucea

AI beach vacations are much cheaper than cruises. We just booked 7 nights at the Grand Palladium Colonial in Mexico's Riviera Maya for $745 pp including air from Denver. We will pay an extra $140 for rt transfers from the Cancun airport. We get unlimited booze and a very large room with balcony and the nicest beach you could imagine. A similar Carnival cruise in a small inside room would be about $400. Add on $250 pp for plane fare, $70 each for tips, and about $150 pp for drinks each, and we don't even drink that much, and the Palladium price looks rather good.

No, we won't get bored. The place has about 1.5 mile of beach including great snorkeling and swimming. There are 9 sit-down restaurants for evening dining plus buffets. Anything within 50 miles is available for a $2 colectivo ride. Entertainment is non-stop. The pools are huge and wonderful. There are 23 bars serving top shelf booze. The spa is to die for and less than half the price of the Carnival's.

So rather than go on a second Carnival cruise this year, we're have just booked a week at the Palladium. A lot of this has to do with the Carnival's nickel and dimeing you to death, prohibiting booze in luggage, and now their elimination of booze from their bon voyage department.

Yes, the Palladium site is great. The forums are as well.

That they are :D

AI beach vacations are much cheaper than cruises. We just booked 7 nights at the Grand Palladium Colonial in Mexico's Riviera Maya for $745 pp including air from Denver. We will pay an extra $140 for rt transfers from the Cancun airport. We get unlimited booze and a very large room with balcony and the nicest beach you could imagine. A similar Carnival cruise in a small inside room would be about $400. Add on $250 pp for plane fare, $70 each for tips, and about $150 pp for drinks each, and we don't even drink that much, and the Palladium price looks rather good.

No, we won't get bored. The place has about 1.5 mile of beach including great snorkeling and swimming. There are 9 sit-down restaurants for evening dining plus buffets. Anything within 50 miles is available for a $2 colectivo ride. Entertainment is non-stop. The pools are huge and wonderful. There are 23 bars serving top shelf booze. The spa is to die for and less than half the price of the Carnival's.

So rather than go on a second Carnival cruise this year, we're have just booked a week at the Palladium. A lot of this has to do with the Carnival's nickel and dimeing you to death, prohibiting booze in luggage, and now their elimination of booze from their bon voyage department.

Until all the Sheeple that continue to book cruises without realizing there is excellent quality AND value in AI's, Carnival will continue to implement these changes which erode the overall value of a cruise.

I work in the travel industry so have taken all sorts of vacations and get great rates, including AIs. While I've enjoyed both, overall, I still prefer cruising. I just got home from a cruise a few days ago. While on board I booked two more cruises.

I stayed at an AI in Cancun and in Costa Rica. I had a great time at both. I wasn't bored because you can leave the resort and do all the things you want to. Cancun was great because they have a nice downtown area. It is easy to catch a bus or taxi. Costa Rica was amazing. I didn't have time to get bored. I had an activity planned everyday. Someone would pick us up in the morning. Everything we did was at least 1-2 hours away. We would drive there, spend the day doing different things (volcano, hot springs, ziplining, river safari, ATV rides, whitewater rafting, etc...)drive back, have dinner and crash for the remainder of the evening. It was nice to just come back to the hotel, eat, swim, and listen the band. I didn't have to think about anything. I love cruises, but also love land based vacations. I will continue to do both!

I love this post! Thanks for all the information about AI vacations. We are going to convert from cruisers to AI'sers (is that a word):confused:

I am not sure AI'sers is a word but it is a good comparison thing to try. If you prefer cruising and find that it is better value for your money, stick with cruising. If not, AI's are an excellent vacation choice.

If all things were equal and cost were the same, I would cruise every time. With all the restrictions and added costs though, AI's are far better value for me.

We stayed at the Riu Palace Mexico in Playa Del Carmen. We paid $1900 with air for a week.. EVERYTHING was included.. Went up to 5th Ave and ate local food to get away from some of the buffets. The town is beautiful.. This is our first cruise and I already am paying $1000 more for the cruise then the AI.. I will try cruising, always wanted to, but will really have to weigh it out if we will do it again after this..

[quote name='McDebbie']
We booked the Carnival cruise to go there again but DH would easily sit watching the planes everyday while I sit on the beach (otherwise, he is not a beach person)[/quote]

Might I suggest taking DH to the [U][URL="http://www.paris-air-show.com/en/the-show/show-introdution"]Paris Air Show[/URL][/U]. :D It is very cool, even I enjoyed it. You can [U][URL="http://www.slowtrav.com/france/vr/list.asp?r=Paris"]rent an apt in Paris[/URL][/U] for any budget! Wine consumption in France is definitely permitted!

Get the cheapest flight you can find to Europe then take the train where you want to go or find a [U][URL="http://www.attitudetravel.com/lowcostairlines/europe/"]no frills flight[/URL][/U] for next to nothing.

We stayed at the RIU Playacar in Maya Riviera once. It was just my size (some AI's are huge) and the beach was lovely. The whole Maya Riviera community is gated. Only employees enter and leave, guests also, but no one who doesn't belong there is allowed in. Just thought I'd add that if Mexico is a fear.

We just came back from Sandals Cuba on the weekend. The AI was a lot cheaper for us when you factor in to take a cruise we have to book air fare.

It was nice to sit on the beach and have our drinks and food delivered to us, knowing that their was no bill to be paid at the end of the week. As it was a couple only resort we had no kids running around making it very peaceful and relaxing. We also did booked a few excursions that broke up the week.

My comparison between the two.

AI Pros:
Huge Room with whirlpool tub and a fully stocked mini bar
Huge pools
Large beach (Great beach) with free alcohol service
Many restaurants to eat at with no large lineups

Cruise Pros:
Many ports of calls
Various activities through out the day
Ensure you are kept out of harms way (Hurricane)
View of water
Free Meals
Excellent staff service

This September will be our 7th cruise but the way things are going with less service and higher prices I can see us booking more AI's. Just my opinion.

[quote name='Jay B']AI beach vacations are much cheaper than cruises. We just booked 7 nights at the Grand Palladium Colonial in Mexico's Riviera Maya for $745 pp including air from Denver. We will pay an extra $140 for rt transfers from the Cancun airport. We get unlimited booze and a very large room with balcony and the nicest beach you could imagine. A similar Carnival cruise in a small inside room would be about $400. Add on $250 pp for plane fare, $70 each for tips, and about $150 pp for drinks each, and we don't even drink that much, and the Palladium price looks rather good.

So rather than go on a second Carnival cruise this year, we're have just booked a week at the Palladium. A lot of this has to do with the Carnival's nickel and dimeing you to death, prohibiting booze in luggage, and now their elimination of booze from their bon voyage department.[/quote]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=deepskyblue][B][I]The Grand Palladium looks beautiful!!! Where are the prices, I couldn't find them.[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

I have cruised once a year (mostly with Carnival) for the past 15 years because my parents treat the family every year.

When DH and I decide to go somewhere ourselves, we go to an AI right outside of Playa del Carmen. When you factor in airfare and alcohol, the AI is cheaper.

Obviously I like cruising since DH and I go on the family trip every year, but when we're paying, it's the AI.

I love the chain of AI's we stay at. I have a stay coming up for June. For $850 per person (plus airfare) we get 7 nights at the resort.

This price includes:

Unlimited top self alcoholic beverages including a fully stocked mini bar in the room

Free phone calls back to the US

Free wifi in the room

Free roomservice including hot meals 24 hr a day

Expensive bathroom supplies including lotion, bubble bath for the jucuzzi, raincoat, house slippers you get to keep, robe to use, shampoo, conditioner, plus other stuff.

4 free excursusions to the ruins, a water park, snorkeling trip, plus others to choose from (meals included)

Several places to eat including surf and turf (every night if you like) Free wine (you get to pick a bottle or by the glass)

Daily pool activities

Free kids club

free non motorized activities from bikes to basketballs or watersports

Free beach service (food and drink)

free massage, manicure and pedicare

They greet you for checkin with a flower, a glass of chanpagne and a cool cloth

Cost includes airport transfers

Nightly activities until around 11pm

Nightly turn down service

And the best prices on things in the gift shop I saw anywhere.

If you stay at the one in Cancun, the bus stops at the hotel for trips into town.

And no tipping expected.

The staff is unbelievable down to and including taking your plate to the table for you when you do the buffet.

Except for a couple of purchases in the gift shop and a couple of bus trips, I did not spend any money from the time we got on the plane until we got off the plane back home.

[quote name='rfisher983']Damn, I wish i could get a refund on my cruise next week and just take an AI now. Anyone have a good website that reviews most of the AI resorts?[/QUOTE]

tripadvisor.com is what I use. We have done cruises and AIs - the best one we did was in Playa del Carmen - Rio Tequila. Small 8 plexes - good specialty restaurants, swim up bars, did all sorts of tours - ferried across to Cozumel for $6 return, Xcaret was 4 miles away, all sorts of Myan ruins within a few miles. We could walk to Playa del Carmen - the best we have ever done. The nice thing is that we fly direct from Thunder Bay to Cancun then shuttle to resort. Everything was included. Could go to the wine cask and fill up travel mug and go to the beach. Our mini bar was 26 ouncers on the wall - rum, vodka, gin and tequila - fridge was filled with Coronas. I made my husband brush our teeth with Corona beer just to say we did. Out on our deck were birds and rodents of every type (not rat type things) and hugh trees with blooms that would knock your socks off. Every night was entertainment that was different every night. God I could go on forever. I still like cruising but an AI thrown in every once in awhile is a nice change up. Overall costs us less because of flights from Northern Ontario are huge bucks and always always have to overnight at least one night when we cruise. But cruising is awesome

[quote name='skylock']I love the chain of AI's we stay at. I have a stay coming up for June. For $850 per person (plus airfare) we get 7 nights at the resort.

This price includes:

Unlimited top self alcoholic beverages including a fully stocked mini bar in the room

Free phone calls back to the US

Free wifi in the room

Free roomservice including hot meals 24 hr a day

Expensive bathroom supplies including lotion, bubble bath for the jucuzzi, raincoat, house slippers you get to keep, robe to use, shampoo, conditioner, plus other stuff.

4 free excursusions to the ruins, a water park, snorkeling trip, plus others to choose from (meals included)

Several places to eat including surf and turf (every night if you like) Free wine (you get to pick a bottle or by the glass)

Daily pool activities

Free kids club

free non motorized activities from bikes to basketballs or watersports

Free beach service (food and drink)

free massage, manicure and pedicare

They greet you for checkin with a flower, a glass of chanpagne and a cool cloth

Cost includes airport transfers

Nightly activities until around 11pm

Nightly turn down service

And the best prices on things in the gift shop I saw anywhere.

If you stay at the one in Cancun, the bus stops at the hotel for trips into town.

And no tipping expected.

The staff is unbelievable down to and including taking your plate to the table for you when you do the buffet.

Except for a couple of purchases in the gift shop and a couple of bus trips, I did not spend any money from the time we got on the plane until we got off the plane back home.[/quote]

MAN What place is this? You sold me, I"m ready to book my first AI. :D I'm assuming you've done this quite a few times and very much enjoy it. Please let me know which AI this is. Thanks

[quote name='bonnie&clydecruzers']MAN What place is this? You sold me, I"m ready to book my first AI. :D I'm assuming you've done this quite a few times and very much enjoy it. Please let me know which AI this is. Thanks[/quote]

Yes, we do it every year. I stayed at several other places before we found this group. And we like this one alot.

It is called Palace Resorts. They have them all over. We are in Xpu Ha this year somewhere in Cancun. I wanted to try it because it is also an animal sanuary. In one of the reviews I read, the man says while they were checking in, his 5 yr old was tired and wanted a nap and kept saying he wanted to go to the hotel. Turns out the child thought they had brought him to the zoo. Sounds like my kind of place.

Another great thing about this chain is you can go to any of the other nearby resorts they own and spend the day. I honestly do not know how you would find the time and I have never done it, but you can. They provide transportation.

I am kind of thinking of trying this place next year so you might want to check it out too. They offer less, but the price is less too.
[URL]http://www.parkroyalcozumel.com/[/URL]

Archived