Have you ever stayed at an AI for 7 days?

McDebbie

As mentioned in previous posts, RIU is a top notch resort company. At the RIU Tequila the dining room was beautiful, we had the same waiter every night just like on a ship and we were treated royally. Excursions were available through the front desk just like off a ship. At all the AI's we stayed at the entertainment in the evenings was great and you can't beat laying on a lounge (plenty of them) under a palm tree with a drink in your hand and the bar just a few steps behind you just waiting to refill your glass. The nice thing about AI's is that they are easier to budget for. If you don't want to spend an extra dime, you don't have to.

[quote name='MonaCD']

The food quality at AIs is about the biggest con for me, [/quote]

This is our biggest disappointment at AIs too. The first time we went to one, we found out after we got there that we had to make reservations to dine in the restaurant(s), and that we could only do this 3 times during our 7-night stay! We had not researched and booked the resort ourselves, we were traveling with a group. Then, the food was so awful one night, that we had to visit the buffet after dinner. The resort would not allow us to exchange our entree or order an extra salad or appetizer, like you can on a cruise.

The Crowne Plaza Grand Faro in Los Cabos is the only resort we ever stayed in that let us dine in the restaurant every night, AND served excellent quality food.

[quote name='steveNcindy']We are lucky as we are closer to Detroit than we are to Toronto so we always fly out of there and save $$. Prices for 2 from Toronto to FLL are always about $1000 more than Detroit.[/quote]

We must be neighbours :) We always fly out of Detroit when we can since we can be at the border in an hour. We can usually fly to Florida for about $65 a person each way. We are flying to BC and this time it was cheaper to fly out of Ontario but it's costing us just over $1000 for the 2 of us and this is with a seat sale and red-eye.

I think it depends on what you are spending money on..We are not huge drinkers however our AI in Cozumel included all of our diving..If we had paid for that seperately it would have been quite costly..We stayed in belize for 10 days on a dive trip it was not an AI resort and it cost us a fortune..There are so many things AI vacations offer, it depends on what your interests are..
If you are huge drinkers than an AI is the way to go...like i said we have done both..and we enjoy both...

Does anyone have any thoughts on AI v. cruising when taking into consideration A.) extra time/expense to get to major airport (4 hours is the closest one for us) that might hike the "all inclusive" part up a bit (or taking the time to drive there) and B.) travelling with kids (tweens)?

Thanks.

Does anyone have any thoughts on AI v. cruising when taking into consideration A.) extra time/expense to get to major airport (4 hours is the closest one for us) that might hike the "all inclusive" part up a bit (or taking the time to drive there) and B.) travelling with kids (tweens)?

Thanks.

We live in San Diego now.. we are close to an airport however it takes forever to get to the Carribean..It is an all day affair so that definately is a factor for us ..We are going on the Splendor in Sept my twins are out of school for a week and the port is 80 miles from our house..We wanted to go to St. Maarten but the air travel takes up so much time we opted to cruise..We have done a few AI with our boys and it was great..Club Med which is not fancy has a fantastic program for small children..We have also done Beaches with them it was okay..but I do agree with you alot has to do where you live! When we lived in South America the Carribean was so close and the airfare was very resonable...

Thanks.

I guess I don't understand your question about air because both cruises and AIs can be booked with out without the air.

As for taking kids, I have traveled with people who have brought their kids, and many of the resorts we have been to have a teen and children's area with games and such. I think all of the Holiday Inns let children stay free in the parent's room. I'm not sure about other resorts. Some of the resorts we have been to have had a rowdier crowd than on cruises, so you would probably want to make sure and stay away from college spring break times.

We LOVE AI's- Our cruise was nice but my husband couldn't wait to take an AI vacation.

Mexico is our favorite AI destination. Perfect for kids. When we stay in Playa Del Carmen we do ruins and XCaret. In Cancun we do mercado 28, Isla Mujeres for a day and swim with dolphins, Pirate Ship dinner cruise, also Selvatica ziplining and cenote swim. The buses are easy and really cheap. There are small ruins in Cancun full of iguana called the el ray ruins and admission is only $3 and kids are free- plus the .70 ea bus fare- can't beat it.We do at least 4 excursions and participate in resort entertainment and the kids love the kids clubs. I never feel bored-if anything I felt more trapped on the ship.

Also did Jamaica and DOminican Rep.-both Punta Cana and La ROmana. We have been to Aruba twice but never AI because it's such a nice safe island it is really cool to go out and explore. Very expensive though.

We find AIs much cheaper and never have a problem with food although some people complain about the selection we always found something good to eat. For the drinks their cups are small so just bring a travel mug and they will fill it for you. Seriously we aren't big drinkers but the bars open at 10am and the drinks flow freely AND free! until 1am.

Parrot head, not sure what airport you are near but we usually fly from Newark, NJ- we live in CT and use Apple Vacations. Check them out they fly from many cities and have great rates. This April I paid $3200 for 5 of us and with airport parking, dog boarding, excursions and shopping came in at a total of $4100. Not bad. I book early though because you get better flight times. I don't like getting into a resort at night and even worse having a 7am flight out.

I guess I don't understand your question about air because both cruises and AIs can be booked with out without the air.

As for taking kids, I have traveled with people who have brought their kids, and many of the resorts we have been to have a teen and children's area with games and such. I think all of the Holiday Inns let children stay free in the parent's room. I'm not sure about other resorts. Some of the resorts we have been to have had a rowdier crowd than on cruises, so you would probably want to make sure and stay away from college spring break times.

I'm saying that most of the time AI prices are from major airports, so either way it's still an added expense to me when looking at the total budget (cruise v. AI).

For example, I got an email from a travel place that advertised a specific price that sounded good for 7 days at an AI, but then when I look into how much MORE it costs me since I have to add on the additional leg of airfare, it's an additional $200 pp (times 4). Considering I usually pay around $275 from here to Miami to cruise, that part of the AI "glitz" doesn't hold that much allure to me. Plus we aren't big drinkers...maybe 2-3 umbrella drinks per day...I just wonder, budget wise, how they'd compare.

AI beach vacations are much cheaper than cruises. We just booked 7 nights at the Grand Palladium Colonial in Mexico's Riviera Maya for $745 pp including air from Denver. We will pay an extra $140 for rt transfers from the Cancun airport. We get unlimited booze and a very large room with balcony and the nicest beach you could imagine. A similar Carnival cruise in a small inside room would be about $400. Add on $250 pp for plane fare, $70 each for tips, and about $150 pp for drinks each, and we don't even drink that much, and the Palladium price looks rather good.

No, we won't get bored. The place has about 1.5 mile of beach including great snorkeling and swimming. There are 9 sit-down restaurants for evening dining plus buffets. Anything within 50 miles is available for a $2 colectivo ride. Entertainment is non-stop. The pools are huge and wonderful. There are 23 bars serving top shelf booze. The spa is to die for and less than half the price of the Carnival's.

So rather than go on a second Carnival cruise this year, we're have just booked a week at the Palladium. A lot of this has to do with the Carnival's nickel and dimeing you to death, prohibiting booze in luggage, and now their elimination of booze from their bon voyage department.

Jay B, When are you leaving for the Palladium? We will be there the week of June 21st. Can't wait!!! We like mixing our travels betwen AI's and cruises. Wife prefer's the AI's and I tend to lean towards the cruises. She is a scuba diver, and diving while on a cruise can get complictaed and make you fell rushed. We hope to sail the Valor in Nov.

Thanks for all the respones. Like someone mentioned, we do live in Ft Lauderdale and normally do not fly except for Alaska and the Canada cruise. Next will be Southern Caribbean which leaves from San Juan so that will add some cost. DH didn't want to cancel (even before we got the lame response BV email this morning) but I am going to do much more research into the AI's. The only one's I have ever heard of were Beaches and Sandals and when I priced those they were very high. Thanks for the links and websites.

Now I understand, MamaParrotHead.

When we book an AI with the air, our airport is 4 hours away also (Detroit). I had never checked through the booking company to see what the cost difference would be to fly from our home airport instead (1 hour away), although we have booked AIs and made our own air arrangements from our home airport before. If it's $200 more pp, then we would definitely be driving the 4 hours the night before and stay at an airport hotel where we could keep our car for no charge for the week. You can often find an airport hotel where you can park your car for less than $100, which is much less than $200 pp more.

The Grand Palladium looks beautiful!!! Where are the prices, I couldn't find them.

We went to Orbitz and put in the promotion code 200ENTERTAIN for a $200 discount (the code is shown in the 2010 Entertainment books).

But any good travel agent could probably help you match or even beat the price Orbitz offers.

Jay B, When are you leaving for the Palladium? We will be there the week of June 21st. Can't wait!!! We like mixing our travels betwen AI's and cruises. Wife prefer's the AI's and I tend to lean towards the cruises. She is a scuba diver, and diving while on a cruise can get complictaed and make you fell rushed. We hope to sail the Valor in Nov.

We're going in September for our 3rd trip to the Palladium. We usually do about 5 AIs to 1 cruise. This year, we're going on the Spirit, to the Palladium, and to the Barcelo Maya just up the street from the Palladium.

We went to Orbitz and put in the promotion code 200ENTERTAIN for a $200 discount (the code is shown in the 2010 Entertainment books).

But any good travel agent could probably help you match or even beat the price Orbitz offers.

Thanks Jay B. I'm going to check more on this resort!

I have to disagree about AI's being cheaper......the only AI's that i can find cheaper are for 3-4 days only and when i go away i want a good 7 days. I check every year for different vacations ...Disney....Universal....AI's and Cruise's and always get the best price on cruise's. Our sail and sign card is usually about $1,100.00 and i can get a slight cheaper price to Disney but thats without food and you know how much food is in Disney!

The most we have paid for a 5* resort was just over $600 last year for 7 nights - all inclusive - total. We booked two weeks before we left. This is our first cruise and we booked early saver at a total of $2468 + prepaid tips of $280 + a very minimum of $1000 for flights and that does not include our S&S account, excursions, the hotel in Tampa pre-cruise or airport transfers which I am betting will be at least, very minimum $1500 for 4 of us. This is a very bare minimum of $3748 + my guess of $1500 = $5248 (WOW that's even more than I imagined!). Last year's AI vacation was $2456 everything included. We've also done WDW and stayed on site for 5 nights at a value resort for about $1500 as well for four of us.

I'm new to this forum but my DH and I have travelled a lot on land vacations to the Caribbean and Mexico but we went only went on one AI vacation. We stayed at Sandals Dunns River in Jamaica in the late 90's.

I found it to be very overpriced for the quality of the accomodations and the food. We felt like we needed to eat there every night since we paid for the meals. We had to walk up to the bar to get our drinks. They didn't have beach or pool service there when we went.

Since then we've travelled to islands and stayed at beach front hotels without having meals or drinks included. We have really enjoyed this because we can choose where to eat. We have smaller meals some nights and occasionally splurge on really nice restaurants.

The most we have paid for a 5* resort was just over $600 last year for 7 nights - all inclusive - total. We booked two weeks before we left. This is our first cruise and we booked early saver at a total of $2468 + prepaid tips of $280 + a very minimum of $1000 for flights and that does not include our S&S account, excursions, the hotel in Tampa pre-cruise or airport transfers which I am betting will be at least, very minimum $1500 for 4 of us. This is a very bare minimum of $3748 + my guess of $1500 = $5248 (WOW that's even more than I imagined!). Last year's AI vacation was $2456 everything included. We've also done WDW and stayed on site for 5 nights at a value resort for about $1500 as well for four of us.

So, the price of your 5* resort included a hotel the night before (like the one in Tampa, making it 8 nights), and your shore excursions, and transfers? Sounds like you are including expenses in your cruise cost comparison that you are not including in the resort price. I have never been to a resort that included shore excursions too. We have always had to book them as their own expense, just like on a cruise. And, what about the bartender tips that are supposedly included at AIs. For the cruise price you listed, I hope you at least have a balcony room.

So, the price of your 5* resort included a hotel the night before (like the one in Tampa, making it 8 nights), and your shore excursions, and transfers? Sounds like you are including expenses in your cruise cost comparison that you are not including in the resort price. I have never been to a resort that included shore excursions too. We have always had to book them as their own expense, just like on a cruise. And, what about the bartender tips that are supposedly included at AIs. For the cruise price you listed, I hope you at least have a balcony room.

There are resorts listed as super inclusive that include excursions ..We have done these for dive trips ..most of the super AI include water excursions but I have seen some thet include land based as well..Fot the most part all the tips are included it is up to the individual if you want to add more during or at the end of the trip..

Apple Vacations is a very popular company around my neck of the woods. They have representatives that meet you at the airport and usually have a rep at the resort for limited hours to book excursions through. I am an equal opportunity vacationer and I think you get what you want out of a vacation. AI's aren't for everyone but that's why there are so many flavors of ice cream. You can't please everyone!

Kim

We live 3 hours from the airport which we fly out of so do not require a room the night before. We did one excursion which was to a nearby village that included a steak and lobster dinner at $25 per person. There is plenty to do at the resorts and nearby villages/towns. The travel company we booked with included a free catamaran snorkeling excursion which we did. There was a reef right off the beach and we had taken our own snorkeling equipment (but the resort offered equipment free of charge if you needed to use it). The resort offered a free "train" tour through a neighbouring village. There were three speciality restaurants included in the price, we ate at two of them. Airport transfers were included in the price. They specify "no tipping" at most resorts as it is also included but I did give my favorite bartenders a few extra dollars at the end of the week - so maybe add another $50 to that. At this particular resort we had an ocean front balcony room. On the cruise we do have a balcony, but an obstructed balcony and as I said, that is Early Saver rate, it is now up $40 more each for 1st and 2nd passenger. So no, I am not including expenses in my cruise cost comparison that I am not including in the AI price.

There have been resorts we've stayed at that we have done excursions - but for the most part they do not cost as much as the Carnival excursions. And like I said, there are so many activities at the resorts that unless you want to see a city that is a long distance or you are in an unsafe area, you don't really need excursions. On our cruise, we will be booking independent excursions but probably at only two ports.

I know this is a cruise board but my question is for dedicated cruisers who have also vacationed at AI's (yes, in response to the BV liquor change))

We haven't tried an AI because at first look it appears to be more expensive than a cruise but I haven't done the math comparing our cabin + bar tab/BV/smuggling costs. Your experience?

Have any of you actually stayed at an AI for a full 7 days? Do you get bored with the same place all the time? I know some of them you can go out and visit the island but some like in Jamaica you would not want to venture out. (I recall hearing some people say they would get bored being on a ship for 7 days, so is my question just uneducated like that one?)

We love sitting on our balcony with drink in hand watching the wake and will stay there until dark. Is watching the waves come into shore anywhere close to the same? And I am sure the room category that is direct ocean front is much more...

Last, are there any AI websites like this? I don't know if I could bear to quit cruising but maybe it is time to get educated about another type of vacation product.

I stayed at the Palace Resort in Riviera Maya last year at an AI and loved it. I loved that the drinks were included. Even though I don't drink much, I did enjoy the frozen drinks. We were so close to 5th Avenue that there was so much to do. Never bored. This July will be my first cruise. Would have gone back to Mexico, but my kids wanted to do something different.

Thats just enforces my thoughts that Canadians get better pricing for some reason. $1,500.00 for Disney including airfare from Canada....still its only 5 days...i have to have a full 7 days.....tried a 5 day cruise once and its just not enough time. Im sure if you go off season you can get better deals but i have kids in school so i have to vacation in the summer. My AI vacation for 6 of us in Dominican Republic for a week in 2006 cost $5849.00 ....i cruise with airfare and a extra day in a hotel the day before and the day after for under $5,000.00...thats 9 days!

Thats just enforces my thoughts that Canadians get better pricing for some reason. $1,500.00 for Disney including airfare from Canada....still its only 5 days...i have to have a full 7 days.....tried a 5 day cruise once and its just not enough time. Im sure if you go off season you can get better deals but i have kids in school so i have to vacation in the summer. My AI vacation for 6 of us in Dominican Republic for a week in 2006 cost $5849.00 ....i cruise with airfare and a extra day in a hotel the day before and the day after for under $5,000.00...thats 9 days!

We also have to travel during school vacations, as I teach, and have college-aged kids now. As soon as they hit around 12 years of age, the AI's we've gone to charged adult prices, which literally doubled the cost of our vacation - and that was for them staying in the same room as us!:eek: Air is a wash, as we have to fly somewhere, whether to cruise or AI. When we cruise, we still stay in the same cabin, but at least our kid's prices are cheaper, as they are the 3rd/4th in a cabin. We don't drink a lot - mostly sodas, which add up - but that is what beverage coupons are for on a cruise!:D We were just at Breezes Bahamas during Xmas - 3 nights there cost us $2400. 4 nights at Comfort Suites (while not all inclusive, still gave breakfast and use of Atlantis) cost us around the same. Our nine night Dream cruise for next Xmas is costing us around $5,000- in my mind a better bargain. And I also agree that cruise food is SOOOOO much better than AI food. And my "kids" (18/21) find much more to do on a cruise, and many more people to hang with than they ever have at an AI.

Archived