Have you ever stayed at an AI for 7 days?

McDebbie

I know this is a cruise board but my question is for dedicated cruisers who have also vacationed at AI's (yes, in response to the BV liquor change))

We haven't tried an AI because at first look it appears to be more expensive than a cruise but I haven't done the math comparing our cabin + bar tab/BV/smuggling costs. Your experience?

Have any of you actually stayed at an AI for a full 7 days? Do you get bored with the same place all the time? I know some of them you can go out and visit the island but some like in Jamaica you would not want to venture out. (I recall hearing some people say they would get bored being on a ship for 7 days, so is my question just uneducated like that one?)

We love sitting on our balcony with drink in hand watching the wake and will stay there until dark. Is watching the waves come into shore anywhere close to the same? And I am sure the room category that is direct ocean front is much more...

Last, are there any AI websites like this? I don't know if I could bear to quit cruising but maybe it is time to get educated about another type of vacation product.

Yep...stayed at an AI in Cozumel for a week a few years back and I'll admit that though it was nice to not have to pay for everything by the time the week was ending I was ready to get the heck out of there. Not that there was anything wrong with the hotel or Cozumel it's self but really, yes, I got bored. I think if I stayed at another AI in the future I'd go with a place that has more to do...Cozumel was pretty limited and by day 4 I felt like I'd done all I wanted to do.

I have been to several all inclusives in the Riviera Maya Mexico and Punta Cana Dominican Republic(ten to be exact) I think initially it looks expensive but if you start to break it down, I think it is cheaper than a cruise. A seven day cruise with airfare, hotel the night before, sign and sail and excursions I am well over $1500 for my vacation. Don't get me wrong love to cruise but I love all inclusives just as much. It is a more relaxing vacation for me because all I do it sit at the beach for eight hours a day. I didn't think I could do it but believe me, it came very naturally to me. Any questions about AI's ask away!

If you google Debbie's Caribbean resort reviews, there is a lot of info on that website about resorts from past guests.

Kim

we have done AL in Mexico, the Domician Republic and Aruba, Aruba by far is the most free, you can rent a car and explore to your hearts content without fear. I think you will pay more then a cruise, unless you go on off times we go in Nov and have gone in April too. both are lovely.

We figured out our costs on next years planned cruise and it was around 10K (flights, hotels, cruise, onboard account, ports) vs same number of days at a 5* resort and it is $4000 cheaper for us to go to a resort.

With all the restrictions, rule changes, jumping thru hoops, etc - resort wins out hands down. Booking it this week.

I have stayed in AI 4 times, twice in St. Maarten, once in Aruba and once in Playa del Carmen. I love AI and I love to cruise to. It was a nice change of pace. Don't expect great service, unless you stay at an expensive AI. The food is typically so so and you can't find it at all hours of the night like you can on a cruise. Other than those things I had to get use to, I did enjoy each of them. I traveled with a group of 30 to each, so I cannot say I got bored at all. We had plenty to do and usually entertained the other guests (well, we say entertained, it could have been more like annoyed...). There are many differences, really. I do think though any vacation is what you make of it. I will say that the one AI we stayed at in Playa there were only the two of us and it was a little boring at times. I do prefer cruising. I like to have my days at sea to relax and then others to explore. Sorry, i am really no help... Good luck in whatever you decide to do...OH, one more thing, while I do think AI can be less expensive than cruising, because you have already paid for everything, it is difficult (or at least it was for me) to venture out and try new things as "I had already paid for the AI". So, I think sometimes we missed out on GOOD food (I have not found any AI food to be very good at all) and some other things because I did not want to pay any extra. Of course, that is me being frugal and when I am on a cruise, I know the extra costs and I am wiling to pay for whatever I want. I will suggest if you do an AI to check out the RIU AIs. I enjoyed the RIU WAY more than any other AI I have experienced. Again, good luck!!

StevenCindy,

Where are you booking? Are you looking at Riviera Maya or Punta Cana or somewhere else? We always met a lot of Canadiens when we went on vacation!

Kim

Kim

We are booking the Royal Suites Turquesa in Punta Cana for either 10 or 14 days in Feb 2011. Cancelled our planned cruise and going to go this route instead.

I've been to the Riviera Maya for 7 days and loved it. The resorts have lots of activities, and you can also book off-property excursions, much like you book port excursions. It's nice to not have to worry about a sign and sail bill at the end of the week!

Not sure about other areas, but in Riviera Maya I never felt unsafe off property.

Plus you get a bigger room!

True, you don't go to a different port every single day, but if your main goal is to relax, and maybe do one excursion as opposed to different ports every day, I think an AI is a great vacation.

I definitely did not get stir crazy after 7 days there. They are both great vacation options, you should give an AI a try!

We have done an A.I. We loved it! We vacationed in Cancun and stayed at one of the RIU resorts. All the rooms had a balcony and a view of the water. This place was unbelievable. I remember paying $1000 a person and that was for the flight and the 6 days there. The upside of it, if you drink, is you can drink to your hearts content and not have to worry about a bill at the end. So that in itself saves us LOTS of money. Plus, we weren't tempted to gamble!

We loved Cancun. We're in our early 30's. We loved walking outside of the resort and catching the little city bus for like $.75 and going into town for the restaurants or the night life. We mostly stuck to the resort for the food since it came with the package.

We will go back again one day!

SteveNCindy,

Haven't stayed at that resort. I have stayed at Paradisus Palma Real(way out of my price range, friend is a ta got a dirt cheap price otherwise the best place I have ever stayed!), RIU Palace, RIU Macau and Bahia Principe Ambar(adults only). I hope you have a great time!

Kim

We have stayed at the Iberostar Tucan in Playa Del Carmen Mexico for 5 days, Melia Cozumel for 7 days and Holiday Inn Sunspree Montego Bay Jamaica for 10 days and I was NEVER bored. I WAS ON VACATION. I did not tire of the same food, the same drinks, the same people, the same beach etc. AIs seem to offer more activities, plus you rarely get told the port is closed.

We did venture across the street from our resort in Jamaica to visit some gift shops, some were little more than sheds, we never felt unsafe, but we were offered "herb" while we were there. Then again, the vendors that came to the beach at our resort let it be known they could get that as well.

We have every year for past 9 years and loved them. But Figured we would givethe cruise ship a try (which I am really excited about, but bummed on BV liquor call today). From a 1st timer on a cruise I did not really realize all the hidden fees. When I first saw cove balcony for $859 I was like that not to different and I can bite the difference for paying for own liquor.....boy was a surprised. Hope my cruise experience is a good one. We have done 7 days at Jamaica and Mexico a few times, Bahamas, Dominican republic. I really like it and find it neat to actually see the country outside the port towns. Bahamas is pretty much what you see in port you see at most of island and Cozumel. But like Jamaica and Dominican Republic is a very humbling event. We have stayed at smaller all inclusives and some like Sandals and Breezes.

SteveNCindy,

Haven't stayed at that resort. I have stayed at Paradisus Palma Real(way out of my price range, friend is a ta got a dirt cheap price otherwise the best place I have ever stayed!), RIU Palace, RIU Macau and Bahia Principe Ambar(adults only). I hope you have a great time!

Kim

Thanks Kim, we stayed at the Bahia last May and family has stayed at Ambar but we like the swim up suites and the size of the resort at RST better. Priced out the Paradisus Palma but I don't have a spare kidney to donate right now to pay for it lol :eek:

I love cruising, I love the cruising experience but the cost difference for us is too much to ignore. And the long and short of it to answer the OP's question - the experience is not that much different.

We did an AI at the RIU Palace in Aruba 2 years ago. We took both kids and a friend for each as an 18th birthday present for our son. He could drink and gamble where as he couldn't drink on the cruise.

We booked excursions on the island as if we had been on a cruise. (Jeep tour, Parasailing, Scuba and Golf) Worked really well on Aruba. It was setup much like a cruise but with the alcohol included. There was a buffet for all meals and if you wanted a sit down restaurant you had to make reservations although the meals were free.

I still like cruising better because of the different ports and you tend to meet more people on a cruise.

We are staying at an AI in Cancun for 11 day in about 4 weeks $3500 for airfare and all. The GR Solaris(oceanfront). I prefer cruises... hubby prefers AI's. The AI is a more laid back thing for us just hanging out doing not a lot of anything. On the cruise we seem to do a lot more running around.

StevenCindy,

Where are you booking? Are you looking at Riviera Maya or Punta Cana or somewhere else? We always met a lot of Canadiens when we went on vacation!

Kim

I think Canadians go to AI more than cruise. Let's face it, unless we live in Vancouver, not many of us live anywhere near a cruise port so it always involves airfare for us. Airfare usually means expensive so you might as well go AI. We go to AI all the time and don't usually meet very many Americans. Lots of Canadians though. Always have a blast and travel with family a lot too. We make our own fun.

Wow, thanks for all the repsones, I had no idea. Can somebody tell me about these?

I have stayed in AI 4 times, twice in St. Maarten,
We booked the Carnival cruise to go there again but DH would easily sit watching the planes everyday while I sit on the beach (otherwise, he is not a beach person)

CO9

Do you mean Ganja? lol. we were too. We did a horse ride and ocean swim and went through a small town one time. I asked if that was a elementry school at one time and they said it was the college. Boy was I surprised...then they said they go to college to work in the resort..amazing. I was their one time when Olympics and Hussain Bolt was winning all the golds. The resort would pretty much freeze during those events and would cry when he won. Super Friendly people and always felt very safe.. We have stayed at sunset beach and Sandels MObAY a couple of times....so love that place!

We paid $1000 each and my b/fs dad died and the funeral was the day we flew out. Insurance wouldnt cover me, because I wasnt related to his dad.

I should have gone anyway, we broke up later. Lost my money and didnt get to see Alcupulco for the week.

I think Canadians go to AI more than cruise. Let's face it, unless we live in Vancouver, not many of us live anywhere near a cruise port so it always involves airfare for us. Airfare usually means expensive so you might as well go AI. We go to AI all the time and don't usually meet very many Americans. Lots of Canadians though. Always have a blast and travel with family a lot too. We make our own fun.

We had planned a 10 day cruise for 2011 - with everything included it was around $10K. We can book an AI for the same days for $6K - makes the choice pretty easy to me.

Wow, thanks for all the repsones, I had no idea. Can somebody tell me about these?

We booked the Carnival cruise to go there again but DH would easily sit watching the planes everyday while I sit on the beach (otherwise, he is not a beach person)

My brother and SIL spent 14 days in St. Maarten - loved it and were never bored.

I live on the west coast and found a great deal for 5 nights AI in Puerto Vallarta with airfare. I added in a golfing excursion and 2 days of snorkeling and the total price for all of that was around $1,300 total for DH and I. Yes, we will be exploring this option in the future!! We can't do 3 days in Vegas that cheap since drinks and food are so expensive. Since we have to fly to the ports for any warm destination cruise (can cruise to AK w/o flying), it really adds up. Then you add tips and excursions it adds up really fast.

i've stayed at an AI 3 times: 1 in mallorca & 2 in egypt (on the red sea--definitely recommend). thoroughly enjoyed myself. i've never cruised before, so i just booked my family for our first one next year. i'm seriously bummed about the liquor deal that carnival has rolled out. REALLY?!? i AM looking forward to the cruise, but i'm feeling like i'm getting nickled and dimed before i step on the ship. i haven't told DH about this latest development as i'm hoping they'll reverse the decision before we set sail. i've already talked him out of smuggling since i don't think it's worth it and he was willing to order liquor thru BV. i do know we would've still bought some bevvies at the bars, too, but i think this cruise thing--at least with carnival--is a one time deal with this fam.

Well said Chapps---My 1st is in August as well.....and needless to say from the start of $859pp I feel nickeled and dimed....but trying to be positive. On the other hand, thinking what I have put into this and the upgraded room---lol.

Best of luck on your cruise.

CO9

Do you mean Ganja? lol. we were too. We did a horse ride and ocean swim and went through a small town one time. I asked if that was a elementry school at one time and they said it was the college. Boy was I surprised...then they said they go to college to work in the resort..amazing. I was their one time when Olympics and Hussain Bolt was winning all the golds. The resort would pretty much freeze during those events and would cry when he won. Super Friendly people and always felt very safe.. We have stayed at sunset beach and Sandels MObAY a couple of times....so love that place!

Yes, weed, herb, ganja, Maryjane, chronic, 420 or whatever else you want to call it. And the runner's name is Usain Bolt, he's Jamaican, not an Arab.

Archived