Bulk Macadamia Nuts & Kona Coffee: Oahu or Big Island

pbandpn

Aloha!

I have a question . . . because Macadamia Nuts and Kona Coffee come from the Big Island would it be more economical to purchase these items in Big Island? Has anyone have any price comparisons from experience?

Thanks in advance Cruise Critics!!!

:)

pbandpn

Aloha!

I have a question . . . because Macadamia Nuts and Kona Coffee come from the Big Island would it be more economical to purchase these items in Big Island? Has anyone have any price comparisons from experience?

pbandpn

Walmart for both. Read the coffee label because the cheaper the coffee the lower % of Kona coffee.

ABC store is also a place to watch for promo prices, keep your receipts till you hit $100 bucks and get a free gift. I think we took a mug that was quite nice with hibicus flowers.

Walmart for both. Read the coffee label because the cheaper the coffee the lower % of Kona coffee.

ABC store is also a place to watch for promo prices, keep your receipts till you hit $100 bucks and get a free gift. I think we took a mug that was quite nice with hibicus flowers.

Thanks for answering . . . I am aware of the % of Kona coffee we are buying both 100% and >100% types :p and I will definitely keep those ABC receipts together in case we reach the $100 mark!

Follow Up Question: So the Walmarts at both Oahu and Big Island have the same pricepoints for bulk mac nuts and kona coffee even though these products originate from the Big Island?

Follow Up Question: So the Walmarts at both Oahu and Big Island have the same pricepoints for bulk mac nuts and kona coffee even though these products originate from the Big Island?

Didn't check the bulk mac nuts, but the Kona coffee in the Wal-Marts all around Oahu and in Kona were the same.

Thanks for answering . . . I am aware of the % of Kona coffee we are buying both 100% and >100% types :p and I will definitely keep those ABC receipts together in case we reach the $100 mark!

The coffee and nuts are everywhere. The nuts come in an abundance of flavours from salted, garlic dark and light chocolate coated. You will see the nuts in bags and the choc. ones are usually boxed one layer. The most popular is Mauna Loa which is a sub division of Hershey's.

I'm taking an empty suit case for this trip. There just too expensive in Canada

I know there are different varieties ;) . . . my question is very specific (& thanks Dusty for answering 1/2 of it:D) . . . are the prices the same in both Oahu or Big Island for similar Mac Nut and Kona Coffees (considering that these items originate from Big Island)?

I know there are different varieties ;) . . . my question is very specific (& thanks Dusty for answering 1/2 of it:D) . . . are the prices the same in both Oahu or Big Island for similar Mac Nut and Kona Coffees (considering that these items originate from Big Island)?

While I don't know for sure my guess (after spending 30 yrs in retail and knowing how pricing works) I would say that the prices are the same from Walmart to Walmart island to island in Hawaii.

I have found the prices to be the same on both islands UNLESS there is a sale. Often Kmart, Foodland, etc. will be having a sale on these items. Also, check the prices at your local COSTCO and some online retailers to make sure the prices in the islands is better. Sometimes they are not less expensive and you have to bring them home. The exception would be for a boutique coffee roaster. It's easy to check prices before you go so that you know if you are getting a good deal. Cherie

The DW bought bags of the Mauna Loa mac nuts in Honolulu and Kona. No differnce in price, as she remembers! We went to the Mauna Loa farm/plantation in the Hilo area. WalMart beat their prices by a wide margin!!

The best coffee that we had was on Kaiuai. We got it from a coffee plantation on the way back from Spouting Horn outside of Poipu.

We also got bulk macadamia nuts in Kona. Just the roasted/salted ones, but they were good. The 1 lb. bag even made it home for the most part!:)

You don't need the Mauna Loa brand!

You don't need the Mauna Loa brand!

While for some that may be true, every year we've gone I bring back a large assortment of Mauna Loa (I don't like nuts myself). December 2008 I decided to bring back non Mauna Loa and all my co-workers mentioned that they were not as good. I learned my lesson and this year I went back to Mauna Loa.

Aloha!

pbandpn

Hi CCers!!!

Today is my husband's birthday in the mainland (but not yet in Waikiki)!!! I am happy to say with CC guidance we are going to Duke's for hula pie tomorrow!

As for your best guidance in answering your questions, here I am answering partially a question (lol my question) . . . we are in Oahu now and stopped by Costco's Waikiki here are my items and prices from my receipt (pls. do not ask me questions on what else I saw we went we my friend who is a local and had a Costco membership so I was a woman on a mission and could not really look around) . . .

$19.79 16oz Mountain Thunder whole bean 100% Kona Coffee

$10.49 30oz Hershey Kisses w. Mac Nuts

$13.99 19.2oz Mauna Loa Variety Pack (the triangle thinges)

$8.49 1.25lb Hamakua Plantations Baking Non-Salted Whole/Broken Macs

$11.29 28oz Mauna Loa Milk Choc Coconut Macs

As per CC suggestion we are heading to send these via USPS priority mail flat rate boxes ;)

That's all from Waikiki at this point!

pbandpn

Hi CCers!!!

Today is my husband's birthday in the mainland (but not yet in Waikiki)!!! I am happy to say with CC guidance we are going to Duke's for hula pie tomorrow!

As for your best guidance in answering your questions, here I am answering partially a question (lol my question) . . . we are in Oahu now and stopped by Costco's Waikiki here are my items and prices from my receipt (pls. do not ask me questions on what else I saw we went we my friend who is a local and had a Costco membership so I was a woman on a mission and could not really look around) . . .

$19.79 16oz Mountain Thunder whole bean 100% Kona Coffee

$10.49 30oz Hershey Kisses w. Mac Nuts

$13.99 19.2oz Mauna Loa Variety Pack (the triangle thinges)

$8.49 1.25lb Hamakua Plantations Baking Non-Salted Whole/Broken Macs

$11.29 28oz Mauna Loa Milk Choc Coconut Macs

As per CC suggestion we are heading to send these via USPS priority mail flat rate boxes ;)

That's all from Waikiki at this point!

pbandpn

Thanks for the report!!! Making me drool...

Thanks for the report!!! Making me drool...

Your Welcome . . . here are seconds!!!

I forgot to add in Costco the six pack variety kona blend Hawaiian Isles Kona Coffee Co. were $19.99 (2 Reg, 1 Kona Sunrise-will need to look up that flavor perhaps its stronger-, 2 Vanilla Mac, 1 Chocolate Mac)

& I went to Longs (1088 Bishop) and all 12 oz Mauna Loas were on sale for $6.79.

We went to the post office. I had previously packaged large air mailer envelopes (perhaps .33 each from Walgreens sale) and they cost around $9.50ish so I saved less than a dollor for the $10ish flat rate medium box. When I was there I picked up 2 flat rate large boxes and the 1 of each of the medium box. Lesson: Use the boxes!!!!

Love you all will post when I get a chance!

pbandpn

FYI: Those two air mailer bags were for family and they were 13.10oz and 5.50oz respectively and both were $9.55 to send out. The large flat rate boxes are $14 and we already sent some goodies home :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey CCers!

We are back from our 2 week trip! Our top three excursions were seeing lava on our Heli helicopter excursion, swam alongside dolphins, snorkeled capt. cook's monument, kealakekua bay and place of refuge, and (believe it or not I really thought it would have been the Road to Hana) the circle tour of Oahu (first we did the TheBus non-stop style to orientate and then rented a convertible to do it the following day with stops).

The prices for everything were the same depending on the island and from our experience the best bets were at Costco and Walmart with the exception of that awesome sale at Longs which beat out that Walmart price for the regular bags of Macs.

So we sent out a total of 2 air packages and 3 large priority mail flat rates with no confirmation, insurance and they all were received. I know that it took 7 days for one air package to reach my mother. Of course my brother does not remember when he received his air package :rolleyes: We got our first package when we returned (we have a doorman so we do not know when they received it). The funny part is that we received our second and third packages the same day and it took 3 calender days from Maui and 11 calender days from Honolulu!!!

HTH you guys and thank you SOOOO much for helping us plan our trip we always goto CC first and cross-check with yelp and tripadvisor!

pbandpn

Thanks for the tips. Your mention of YELP was my first introduction to it. Another site to help me in my research. YELP had a lot of good information.

Yelp is awesome and is a great tool mostly for foodies and where usually where yelp is weak usually tripadvisor makes up for it (and vice versa). I originally wanted to do a cruise but when it came down to it we did a land trip but I can not stress how helpful CC was with the search feature, souvenirs, and must do and must haves CC is spectacular!

Archived