I am totally clueless about luggage. Please help!

amocksun

So yea..."checked" means we give it to the porters to run through a scanner and take to our rooms for customary $1 per bag tip, right? And carry-on means we literally keep it with us as we walk on and it gets searched by Carnival employees, right?

Do we have to check anything? Or can we carry it all on? Also, are there like certain styles or sizes of bags that have to be one or the other (example: would a cooler have to be carry on, would a large rolling piece have to be checked)?

large rollers will have to be checked; basically about the size of items you could carry onto an airplane can be carried on to the ship; they all have to go through an airport size scanner. Carnival limits the size of coolers to 12"x12"x12", should be able to check or carry it on.

large rollers will have to be checked; basically about the size of items you could carry onto an airplane can be carried on to the ship; they all have to go through an airport size scanner. Carnival limits the size of coolers to 12"x12"x12", should be able to check or carry it on.

Thanks, I've actually never flown or anything... Also they said we can bring a case of bottled water per person, can we carry that on?

Carryons have to fit through the x-ray machine and are the same as in airports so your large stuff won't fit through it. Also remember that everything you carry on you will have to drag around with you until your cabin is ready. You can carry everything off but bear in mind that the elevators are usually occupied and you will have to lug them down the stairs.

I have only been on one cruise so I am not super experienced, but I checked my larger rolling bag and gave the porter 2.00..Then I carried on a backpack with One bottle of wine, two large bottles of water, plus a rolling carry on. I wanted to make sure I had a change of clothes, my bathing suit, etc if my luggage that I gave the porter didn't arrive to my cabin..I did not mind taking it with me..we grabbed a table, and one stayed with the luggage while the other grabbed lunch.

When we left I put both of my rolling bags in the hall, and only carried off my backpack..I'll do te same again..The cruise (with Carnival exceeded my expectations) Have a wonderful honeymoon...

I sell luggage part time and answer questions like this every week.

Typically, carry on bags are around 22 " in height, 14" in width and 9" in depth, giving them a total linear measurement of 45". This is a standard for airlines, there are always variances depenging on the airline.

With a cruise ship, they aren't as concerned about the length (22") as a rolling suitcase doesn't have to fit in an overhead comparment. So...you can take a longer bag, but it still must fit through a scanner that will accomodate the width.

You are not limited as to how many pieces you carry on, just remember that those pieces may have to stay with you for a while, especially if you try to board early.

It's so simple to just allow your bags to be delivered to the ship. The gratuity is descretionary, yet $1 per bag seems to be the norm. Allow several hours for your bag to be delivered, so do take things you may need immediately and any valuables, medications, electronics.

I have absolutely no idea about the water bottles, sorry.

Thanks everyone!

I'm mainly concerned about smuggling and whether it's risker to put stuff in the carry ons or checked.

I sell luggage part time and answer questions like this every week.

Typically, carry on bags are around 22 " in height, 14" in width and 9" in depth, giving them a total linear measurement of 45". This is a standard for airlines, there are always variances depenging on the airline.

With a cruise ship, they aren't as concerned about the length (22") as a rolling suitcase doesn't have to fit in an overhead comparment. So...you can take a longer bag, but it still must fit through a scanner that will accomodate the width.

You are not limited as to how many pieces you carry on, just remember that those pieces may have to stay with you for a while, especially if you try to board early.

It's so simple to just allow your bags to be delivered to the ship. The gratuity is descretionary, yet $1 per bag seems to be the norm. Allow several hours for your bag to be delivered, so do take things you may need immediately and any valuables, medications, electronics.

I have absolutely no idea about the water bottles, sorry.

Thanks everyone!

I'm mainly concerned about smuggling and whether it's risker to put stuff in the carry ons or checked.

If you are trying to smuggle something on (i.e. alcohol, etc), then you had better find some way to put it in your checked luggage because they will definately find it in a carry-on.

That being said, some cruiselines are finding a lot in the checked luggage also. You will know if you're caught when you are asked to come down to the naughty room to collect your luggage......:o

LOL! Now wait, this is the first I've heard of this...what happens? And do you know which lines are getting stricter?

If you are trying to smuggle something on (i.e. alcohol, etc), then you had better find some way to put it in your checked luggage because they will definately find it in a carry-on.

That being said, some cruiselines are finding a lot in the checked luggage also. You will know if you're caught when you are asked to come down to the naughty room to collect your luggage......:o

If you are trying to carry lots of stuff on board, I would not waste any time, money, effort or space to carry water on board. The water on board is pure H2O -- distilled from sea water. Stuff you buy in a bottle comes from some tap somewhere. Take one bottle and refill it from the tap in your room, etc.

Thanks everyone!

Did you know that even the luggage that you give to the porters are scanned, and if they find anything in those bags, they will call you to the "naughty" room to open your luggage and they will take whatever and either throw it out or keep it until the last night of the cruise? Cruise lines are getting really strict on smuggling booze in any luggage and they are enforcing their rules. You have to be really careful when trying to smuggle anything in luggage.

Every cruise line is getting a lot more strict about this, especially Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I've also heard that NCL is getting heavy handed with the luggage checks.

So yea..."checked" means we give it to the porters to run through a scanner and take to our rooms for customary $1 per bag tip, right? And carry-on means we literally keep it with us as we walk on and it gets searched by Carnival employees, right?

Do we have to check anything? Or can we carry it all on? Also, are there like certain styles or sizes of bags that have to be one or the other (example: would a cooler have to be carry on, would a large rolling piece have to be checked)?

I gather you must have left for your cruise, since the date says may 3rd your honeymoon.... We do not take suitcases that much anymore a back pack of clean 7 pairs undies and a two pairs of shorts and tank tops, and 1 dressy outfit with sandles we buy new clothes in the ports if we need them carrying all that extra luggage is thoughtless for all the clothes that you usually do not use. We never use the Pools, since we do not swim.. and I hate staying next to large crowds. We love to sit on the verandah of our state room and relax is this not what cruising all about is to relax?

We like to see somthings.... and I prefer to have room service so I am not disturbed by too much noise, I did however love the parades they were alot of fun.... Did you all who went on the Oasis see that woman with the purple rotating eyeglasses at the Scooner bar? Guess who it was?:D

Archived