Bar harbor tendering

pizzalady1

This is our 4th cruise, but the first time we will tender. (Bar Harbor, HAL Oct 3).

Can someone please explain how this works??

Do passengers with cruise excursions get to tender first??

We want to do Acadia Nat'L Park, Jordan Pond House, and Cadillac Mountain. Are we better off doing this on our own?

Keep in mind that we are travelling with our 87 yr old parents.

(5 people total so not sure if cab would work)

PS Any foreseeable problem with slipping/footage when tendering?

Thanks for everyone's insight....

This is our 4th cruise, but the first time we will tender. (Bar Harbor, HAL Oct 3).

Can someone please explain how this works??

Do passengers with cruise excursions get to tender first?? If you booked an excursion through the cruise line, you'll be told where the grouop will meet on the ship, You'll than be taken down to the tender for boarding as a group based on the time of the tour. If you did not book your tour through the cruise you'll often have to wait until the the cruise booked tours are off loaded first. If you are planning to tour on your own suggest you be right down by the tender first thing so'll you'll be able to get off before the tours are brought down.

We want to do Acadia Nat'L Park, Jordan Pond House, and Cadillac Mountain. Are we better off doing this on our own? You can always go on line and book a private van tour for the your group. It might actually be cheaper.

Keep in mind that we are travelling with our 87 yr old parents.

(5 people total so not sure if cab would work) With regards to your 87 yr old parents, do either of them use an electric scooter and/or electric wheelchair ? If so than be prepared for them to be denied boarding on the tenders. Most Cruise lines prohibit boarding of electric scooters and electric wheelshairs on tenders for safety concerns. They will board a collapsable folding standard wheelchair provided the person can walk onto the tender.

PS Any foreseeable problem with slipping/footage when tendering? The tender and ship are always moving , afterall they're floating on water. So there's always that potential. There will be several ship personal their to assist you on baord.

Thanks for everyone's insight....

Hope this info helps you.

Emsachs asked: ...We want to do Acadia Nat'L Park, Jordan Pond House, and Cadillac Mountain. Are we better off doing this on our own?....

There are 2 independent tour companies in Bar Harbor that provide tours of Acadia National Park. They both offer 2.5-3 hour tours. The first company is Acadia National Park Tours: http://www.acadiatours.com/ and the other is Oli's Trolley: http://www.acadiaislandtours.com/ .

The prices for the tours are $27.50 and $29.00, respectively.

The only difference in the companies that I see, is that ACPT hauls the tourist around in what I would call a converted school bus and Oli's, trollies.

They both list the same stops except Oli does not list a stop at JPH. Now, I don't think any stop at JPH by any tour company will be long enough for a meal. The stop will be for some pixs and to buy souvenirs. If you want a meal at JPH, there are 2 options. First, if you do a tour and JPH is the last stop, let the tour guide know that you'll not be finishing the tour and remain at JPH for the meal. To get back to BH, either a taxi or the free bus service, Island Explorer. The second is, if you have to complete the tour, then take a taxi or the IE back to JPH and for the return trip to BH.

Here is the route schedule for IE route #5 http://www.exploreacadia.com/route5.htm which is the Jordan Pond route. This service is seasonal and ends 10/11. The bus route starts and ends at the Bar Harbor Village Green which is about a 5 minute walk from the tender dock if you don't window shop.

Lastly, your visit to BH will coincide to the average peak foliage color for that area. BH & ANP will be crowded with leaf peepers; plan ahead.

Enjoy your cruise & Bar Harbor.

SBtS

According to the schedule provided in my previous post the travel time between Jordan Pond and the Bar Harbor Village Green is 20 minutes plus a 5 minute (no window shopping) walk = 25 minutes to the tender dock. Tender rides are 7-8 minutes long.

SBtS

Let me throw this out. Enterprise car rental. They picked us up at the dock and drove us back to their airport location to complete the paper work. Then after we got done with their car, drove us back to the ship. We covered the whole island going n s e w up and down. Total cost including gas was under $60.00.

There is also a free bus service that covers the island also.

framer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
(snip) To get back to BH, either a taxi or the free bus service, Island Explorer. The second is, if you have to complete the tour, then take a taxi or the IE back to JPH and for the return trip to BH.[/color][/size][/font]

Here is the route schedule for IE route #5 http://www.exploreacadia.com/route5.htm which is the Jordan Pond route. This service is seasonal and ends 10/11. The bus route starts and ends at the Bar Harbor Village Green which is about a 5 minute walk from the tender dock if you don't window shop.(snip)

Great info. We want to do the Cadillac Mt. North Ridge hike, and the #5 free shuttle goes right by the trailhead near the corner of Park Loop and Paradise Rd, but that's not a scheduled stop, the first stop is Bubble Rock. Would you know if the bus would drop us there and pick us up coming back? (if we wave like hell)?

Also, where is the tender drop, somewhere along West St? ... not out at the Cat Ferry pier?

-Bob

I personally thought the Cat Ferry area would be perfect for cruise ships, seeing how the Cat isn't running anymore. (but then would have to bus people into town, etc.). The small park by the tender pier now has rest rooms available (paid for by revenue from cruise ship passengers). Jan

Found it, great, thx alot.

You're welcome. You will love Bar Harbor. If you like walking trails, this is a good one. http://www.acadiamagic.com/ShorePath.html

It starts by the Bar Harbor Inn (look to the left after you exit the tender pier area). A nice, relaxing thing to do before going back to the ship. Bar Harbor will keep you busy all day without any trouble.

You're welcome. You will love Bar Harbor. If you like walking trails, this is a good one. http://www.acadiamagic.com/ShorePath.html

It starts by the Bar Harbor Inn (look to the left after you exit the tender pier area). A nice, relaxing thing to do before going back to the ship. Bar Harbor will keep you busy all day without any trouble.

Thx for the input. We want to do the Cadillac Mt. North Ridge hike, but the shuttle doesn't make a scheduled stop at the trailhead, so hoping we can talk him into it. Although the shuttles are free there is a $5 park entrance fee, I guess they collect that at the park gates.

I've only ever heard of a very few times when the fog was so bad they couldn't tender. If you do visit I hope you have a wonderful time - it is a beautiful area. Jan

Hi Jan -- can you tell me how far "down town" Bar Harbor is from the pier area?? Walkable?? Is it a quaint town to walk around in? Thanks so much.

I'm not Jan but I think I can answer this. "Down town" Bar Harbor starts as soon as you cross the street that the tender dock exit ramp ends at. It is very walkable; and if you don't do any window shopping, to go from one end to the other, takes about 10 minutes. I would call it quaint.

CoolasaMoose.jpg

SBtS

Archived