Sea sick

poe17

Im going on Princess Emerald we are staying in cabin B205, I've been told its near the front of the ship and it could be rocky an we could get sea sick, (we don't know if we suffer with it or not, it's our 1st cruise), also we've been told it gets really windy, i wanted to spend time sunbathing ect on our balcony, has anyone stayed in this cabin or near it and what if any problems did you have ??????????????

pauline:o

Pauline, you will get many more responses if you post this on the Princess Cruise Board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1189032&goto=newpost

In general those cabins very forward on any ship will feel the seas more than those that are mid ship should the seas become rough.

Keep in mind that no two voyages are the same and there are many factors that contribute to whether or not you have rough seas including the itinerary.

Keith

You need to know that if it's rough, you'll feel it everywhere! The entire ship moves with the ocean, but the ends of the ship do tend to move up and down a bit more than the center....think of a see-saw!

Take ginger root tablets! They are super effective at helping nausea and motion sickness. They are all natural, and have no side effects (as long as you are not allergic). They are relatively cheap, and can be found in your vitamin section of the grocery store or pharmacy. They are taken in pill form and have no taste. They also help with digestion.

I start taking one every day a few days before the cruise and continue until the trip ends! I have never been sea sick. This also helps when traveling in taxis or vans while in port to prevent motion sickness.

I found a great stuff from our local maria called Motion Eaze..

its worth the 15.00 its all natural stuff... the motion sickness was gone... for everytime i felt queasy i put a dab behind my ears that was tingling and it smelled good like peppermint it did the trick...

also you can buy on line but they want 25.00 a bottle but a West Coast Marine has it, my friend lives in Florida and she bought it up to Us for when we left on the Mariner in 2005, and it lasts for 2 years or 2 cruises.

Also you may want to eat Green Apples, every ship has them or Ginger slices out of crystalized ginger.

here is another thing that I have tried is Nutmeg grounded with Honey into a paste with chopped ginger, put on a dry cracker and eat it, relieves the tummy and makes the nausea go away.

I used to use the patch till I lost my eyesite for 2 days 2 years ago when we were on the Glory... then I said No more patches.

The ships give you meclizine but I do not like that stuff it makes you sleepy... and I want to be awake not sleep on my vacation!

As mentioned, the bow and stern (front and back) do move more than the center (amidships) when the ship is pitching -- bow and stern going up and down. On the other hand, being amidships is meaningless if the ship is rolling --- side to side.

If you don't get motion sick, I would not worry too too much, but there are some tips. Seasickness is caused by a conflict in the brain caused when the eye is not seeing motion and the inner ear is sensing motion. Until you get your sea legs, it is best to stay out on deck where you can see the horizon and therefore the motion, and the fresh air helps. If you have to be inside, stay near a window so you can see the motion. Also, and this will sound counter-intuitive, eat normal meals. Don't overeat and don't eat a lot of greasy foods, but eat normally -- an empty stomach is not good. As I said, don't worry about it too much, most people don't get seasick at all, of those who do, most get over it in a few hours, a few take a day, and a very few take a couple of days. The motion is not like a small pleasure boat, but is generally slow and gentle, and most people enjoy the feeling of being rocked to sleep, and it is a sign that you are at sea.

Simple ginger pills (available at any drug store), ginger snaps, candied ginger or even (real) ginger ale will be a tremendous help. It is proven to reduce susceptibility to motion sickness from all sources, and particularly much more violent motion than on a cruise ship.

Some people swear by the sea bands -- for others they do not work.

There are the over-the-counter medicines -- Bonine and Dramamine -- and the ship will have these as well.

The one thing that might surprise you the most is that if the ship is moving a lot, even though you are likely to be fine on the ship, you are likely to think you are moving even when you get on dry land. That takes an hour or so sometimes, but it often is more surprising that the motion at sea.

At I mentioned, don't over-worry about this. The majority of people don't mind the motion at all -- after all people wouldn't cruise if they weren't having a good time. Take a few precautions, mind where you are when the ship first starts moving until you are sure you are OK, and then (and this is the most important thing) ENJOY!

We don't want to add to the risk so we always choose a cabin carefully, midship definitely and not the highest level. I will turn down a low cost cruise just to make certain my cabin is where I want it to be.

Alice

I get very very sea sick, even to the point I cannot sit in a rocking chair. Most likely, if you do not get car sick or other motion sickness, you won't have much of a problem. If you do, different things work for different people, nothing will work for everyone. My son and I use the sea bands, they are accupressure, drug free, the only side effect.... a lovely white band of non suntanned skin on your arm. But I take them off in port so that eliminates that. We have had cabins in the front and the back never in the middle, so I can't really judge if a spot on the ship is better or not.

Have Fun!

• 4 months later...
I get very very sea sick, even to the point I cannot sit in a rocking chair. Most likely, if you do not get car sick or other motion sickness, you won't have much of a problem. If you do, different things work for different people, nothing will work for everyone. My son and I use the sea bands, they are accupressure, drug free, the only side effect.... a lovely white band of non suntanned skin on your arm. But I take them off in port so that eliminates that. We have had cabins in the front and the back never in the middle, so I can't really judge if a spot on the ship is better or not.

Have Fun!

A great big THANKYOU for all the help Pauline:)

Most of my tips have been mentioned already, but I wanted to add one more thing. Don't WORRY about getting seasick. If you get on board and all you are thinking about is "do I feel seasick", "oh, I think I might be feeling seasick", "definitely feeling the motion, I think I am going to get seasick"....well then guess what...you probably ARE going to get seasick. For many people (not all, but many) it's simply a mind over matter thing.....take precautions, get lots of fresh air, spend time walking outdoors as soon as you set sail. And put thoughts of getting seasick out of your mind.

Archived