Purchasing Insurance after full payment of trip???

I think I might have a problem here. I made my last payment for my cruise on liberty of the seas in Sept. I called RC and they said that it was to late for me to get insurance since I paid for my trip in full already. Is this true??? I want some kind of insurance that will cover my cruise and flights (and all the other stuff like medical). My boyfriend is all worried now and he wants to get some insurance (this is his first cruise, I went on carnival last year and did not get insurance). What should I do? I dont travel till Sept. why is it too late for insurance? thanks for any suggestions.:confused:

Not familiar with all the details of RCI insurance but its possible they have a policy saying you have to purchase your insurance through them before paying your cruise in full. It is NOT too late to purchase travel insurance. There are several sites but we use www.insuremytrip.com to compare different insurance plans before purchasing our insurance. It may be too late to purchase insurance with the "Cancel for any Reason" clause as those that I'm aware of do require it to be purchased within 14-21 days of making your initial trip deposit but there could be an exception I'm not aware of. Hopefully you aren't in need of pre-exisitng medical conditions coverage either as that option won't be available to you since you've made final payment. As long as you're not looking for those two coverages you have lots of options for purchasing travel insurance still available to you.

Please be sure for what ever insurance you purchase that you fully understand exactly what would and would not be covered before purchasing any insurance. Enjoy your cruise!:)

You can easily purchase insurance through 3rd party providers. You will lose any pre-existing condition waivers and lose the opportunity to purchase optional riders, but you will still be covered for major things.

SirWired

Yes, TravelGuard is probably the largest provider of 3rd-party policies (as opposed to those sold by travel providers and travel agents.) They are fine. I've always used them and have had no problems with claims or emergency travel assistance.

SirWired

I've never had to file any claims but have insured several times thru www.travelguard.com . Their website is extremely user friendly and they have 24-hour phone service.

Just an FYI - One question I personally had a hard time figuring out the answer to was exactly what costs should be factored into 'Trip cost' since I knew taxis, porter tips, etc would be variable. They said to include anything I pay before I walk out my front door. For me that boiled down to cruise fare, cruise tax and airline cost.

I've never had to file any claims but have insured several times thru www.travelguard.com . Their website is extremely user friendly and they have 24-hour phone service.

Just an FYI - One question I personally had a hard time figuring out the answer to was exactly what costs should be factored into 'Trip cost' since I knew taxis, porter tips, etc would be variable. They said to include anything I pay before I walk out my front door. For me that boiled down to cruise fare, cruise tax and airline cost.

"Trip Cost" refers to non-refundable payments made in advance. Basically, what you would be filing a claim for if you canceled. For me, this was airline, cruise, and Priceline hotel room.

I admit I'm a little fuzzy on their policy for non-refundable air tickets. You would obviously get your change fee back if you re-scheduled, but I'm not sure how you get the rest of the fare back if you don't. Do you have to wait until the credit expires? Obviously, they aren't going to let you "double-dip" and pay you cash while you still have an airline credit (minus change fee) on the books.

SirWired

"Trip Cost" refers to non-refundable payments made in advance. Basically, what you would be filing a claim for if you canceled. For me, this was airline, cruise, and Priceline hotel room.

I admit I'm a little fuzzy on their policy for non-refundable air tickets. You would obviously get your change fee back if you re-scheduled, but I'm not sure how you get the rest of the fare back if you don't. Do you have to wait until the credit expires? Obviously, they aren't going to let you "double-dip" and pay you cash while you still have an airline credit (minus change fee) on the books.

SirWired

I had a claim for airline tickets and there was a statement on my claim form that basically said that by cashing the check, I waive the use of the credit I have on file with the airline.

I had a claim for airline tickets and there was a statement on my claim form that basically said that by cashing the check, I waive the use of the credit I have on file with the airline.

I wonder where the money goes? Do the major trip insurance companies have a deal with the airlines that allow them to recover at least some of the credit? If they don't, what happens if you use the credit anyway? Do they send you a bill?

I am, however, relieved that you do indeed get a check. The only time I had to cancel I rescheduled the next afternoon (for a later date), so I used my airfare credit and did not bother including airfare in my claim. (It was Southwest, so there weren't even any change fees to file for.)

SirWired

Archived