Stingray City by Private Company

Sox Fan Cruiser

We are going with my in-laws to Grand Caymen. We want to take them to Stingray City but my Father in Law doesn't swim.

From what I can see, the ship's excursions (Princess) require you to swim from the boat to the sandbar. Is that true?

Are there any private companies with smaller boats that let you get closer to the sandbar so you don't have to swim?

We did this so long ago that I don't remember how deep the water is when they let you off the boat.

we just got back from our cruise and while in cayman did a stingray city tour with absolute divers. Mark was very accommodating and backed right up to the sandbar so it was only chest deep when you got in. we had a blast.

We got married on GC last year and only had a short period of time after the wedding to go see the rays and swim around. The only company whom would accomidate us was sailcayman dot com. Neil did a great job, worked within our schedule and got us back to our ship on time. He used a sailboat which was really relaxing.

Good luck as I am sure that someone will accomidate you.;)

Kenny

We just returned from our Elation cruise where we did the Bucaneer Stingray City Tour through grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com. It was awesome! It was the highlight of our cruise. Captain Leon explained everything in advance. We sailed on a 50 ft catamaran and it pulled right up on the sandbar. We went down the ladder off the boat and the water was about chest deep. I highly recommed this company and this excursion. It was totally awesome.

And I am right in my memory of the ship sponsored tours that you have to swim to the sandbar, correct?

Not necessarily. Whether you have to swim or not depends on where your boat "parks" which in turn is dependent on a number of factors...size of the boat, number of boats there when you arrive, available "parking spots" when you arrive, wind direction...and I'm sure there's other factors they take into consideration. I've seen both the larger and the smaller boats have to anchor further out as well as being closer in...

IMHO you are best to stay with a small private vendor, especially with a non swimer. Cruise ship organized trips can have 50 plus people all bashing into each other to get to the sting rays. Search this section for many good operators. Captain Marvins is one of our favorites. Enjoy:)

Archived