HELP, question for early flight?

Halya50

Hello all,

I would love all opinions as to what you would feel my chances are for catching my flight after cruise, that leaves Miami at 10:30 a.m.

I know this is going to cut it close, but going on a later flight gets us home at a horrific hour, with work the next day.

All opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Helen

How much is that airline go help or charge if you miss the flight? With SWA there is never a change fee and the flight you missed gets credited towards what you'll pay for your new flight. Whi ich port? Some are notorious for being slow on debarkarion days, others are a breeze.

Id say Over 50/50 if you are doing early disembarkation .. of my cruises, Id have made it about half the time. The others, were the Ike cruise, hitting the dock with Ecstasy and breaking it, folks had a hard time making a noon flight, where I was standing, and lastly, we hit full inspection thru customs last Saturday. Everyone stood in line at least 2 hours to get off, depending on when they got in line, you might have made it. People were still getting off at 1:30 pm.

You make it ...as long as all the many thigns that can go wrong dont go wrong.

Helen,

I totally feel your pain. Airtran switched my return flight to 1014 am. Right now we are keeping the flight with the hope that they change it again. The game plan is to self disembark. We are cruising out of Port Everglades and hopefully with the airport so close, it won't be an issue. It truly depends on how quick they clear the ship through customs. We have a non Us citizen traveling with us too so hopefully she makes it through quickly too.

Kim

I had a 10:55 flight last week and still waited 2 1/2 hours for my flight at the airport. Just get down to the lounge early and do self assist. I was there around 7 and was one of the first off.

We went on the Freedom in Feb. -- We had 12:40pm flight back home. We did Luggage Express on ship where they get your bags to airport for you and print your boarding passes- Best $20 per person we ever spent (plus they charge you what your airline charges for checked bags - Luckily Jet Blue doesnt charge for first checked bag so no extra fees for us). When you get to airport you go straight to security line....you had to see the LONG line for people getting boarding passes/checking luggage at counters - I was so happy. We were through security, sitting by gate at 9:30am. Will definitely use this service again when we sail the Victory next year

The only port we have had problems getting out of has been Miami. Sometimes it is quite painful. :)

It seems like customs is a bigger hassle there for some reason. I honestly wouldn't try it unless the airline has a very forgiving policy about missed flights and you're pretty confident that the later flight wouldn't book full and leave you stranded in Miami.

Good luck!

once off the ship..its a pretty quick ride to the MIA..

there s plenty of cabs available waiting..

even if you do happen to debark early..the check in can

be a nightmare..worst airport i ve ever had the misfortune

to flight out of..

if you happen to be flying American Airlines, your not going

to make the flight..only thing nice is that they have scales

that you can weigh your luggage befor checking in..

Regarding self-disembarkation: we did that and it took less time than we imagined. It would have taken less time if we had totally ignored the cruise director's instructions. He said the self-disembarkers would get off first and he would call us by deck number. He also said not to congregate in the lobby because no one would be allowed there until disembarkation was called. Ha! When he called the first Deck to disembark, we headed from Deck 8 to Deck 5 to look over the railing in the atrium to see how many people were there. It was absolutely packed. So we schlepped our bags down two flights and joined the masses who also didn't heed the cruise director's instructions. So, while it's not the best way, it is the fastest way to just head for the lobby when they say the ship has been cleared. In fact head for the lobby before that. And pack light, because no one will notice you've worn the same thing on three different days. As long as you're comfortable.

A bit off topic - but can someone explain to me Luggage Express? I will flying out of MIA on my return and would like to have the hassel of my luggage. My flight is pretty late (7.15pm) so its not like I dont have time to stand in line...I just dont want to.

A bit off topic - but can someone explain to me Luggage Express? I will flying out of MIA on my return and would like to have the hassel of my luggage. My flight is pretty late (7.15pm) so its not like I dont have time to stand in line...I just dont want to.

I was wondering the same thing

Out of my cruises 3 have hit port late due to medical emergencies - you never know what can happen. As long as you have a backup plan if you are late I wouldn't sweat it. More than likely you will make it but there is a chance you won't

We made a 10:15AM flight last January. We did self-disembarkation jump in a cab and was at the airport by 9:10. It will be tight. Also keep in mind disembarking delays and a crowded airport.

It can be done and has been done many times. But you only have to get burned once.

Have a backup plan and a backup plan to your backup plan.

2 years ago my parents got burned trying to make a 10:30AM flight out of

Miami. They were told the earliest was flight available was 7:55PM.

They ended up catching cab to South Beach and coming home Monday Morning.

Good luck.

I don't know about Miami but on the Conquest we self disembarked and it was a breeze. We headed downstairs pretty much when the ship docked and waited around the lobby. They called for those passengers who have early flights to get off first and they did. The others of us just waited for them to let us go. I "guess" we were supposed to wait for our deck to be called but we just carried our baggage down to the lobby...the elevators weren't turned on and there were a lot of people waiting. So we just didn't bother.

The passengers that waited for the call to "get off" seemed to be mostly the ones that needed "help" with their luggage...LOL...like my girlfriend who had to wait till the UHaul arrived. Ha Ha.

We were thru "customs"...in our car and already on the highway by 8:30.

10:30 seems a "little" close to me...but then I'm used to being at the airport 2-3 hours ahead of time. I highly recommend packing very light.

I have a early flight out of FLL in September, 12:05pm--to me that is early. I can safely say I would not book a flight any earlier for FLL or Miami. The Glory for my cruise last January never entered the channel for Miami untl 6:30am and by the time we turned around and were fully docked it was between 7:30 and 8am. I had a low tag number so I knew I would be off the ship early. I had breakfast and cleared out of my cabin by 8am. Because we docked so late self assist and tag #'s were all going off at the same time.

Raven--luggage express means your bag will go to the airport and sit and wait for the flight, and you'll be sitting and waiting as well. I would consider doing a excursion tour after the cruise and then that would mean you only have three or four hours to wait for your flight vs 10-12 hours....If you can rent a car you can hang out at South Beach or see some of the sights before heading to the airport.

Archived