**Golden Princess May 14, 2011 - Vancouver To Seattle**

LEtue

Thanks Willysgrandma!! That worked out perfect, the hotel looks wonderful and a great location. Close to our favorite restaurant Hy's Steakhouse. Hope we have good weather. My first cruise to Alaska was in May back in 1986 and Vancouver was having a heat wave so who-knows!! Bring shorts!:p

Thanks for the restaurant suggestion, Carol.

I didn't realize there was one on Waikiki, only been to the Vancouver one. According to the website it's still there, it's on Hornby. Now we'll have to check out the Waikiki Hy's next time we go over there.

Hi all,

Does anyone know how we can find out the CD for this cruise? I am curious as time approaches as to who it might be?

Getting excited -- 10 weeks till we are on board!!!!!

Katherine

Guess you could ask people on one of the upcoming roll calls for the Golden, they can ask the current CD if he/she is staying??? Or call Princess but not sure they'd tell you. :confused: Tried looking at my email from Princess with the Captain info, Captain is Vincenzo Lubrano, but nothing about the CD. Gee, think if I reply to the email they'll tell me?? Doubt it!! Whoever it is, hope they are fun! :D

We just booked this cruise, thought waiting a year till our next cruise was a little long, besides this is leaving our home port. We did this cruise 5 years ago but missed the inside passage due to real bad weather the worse the captain had ever seen. We normally book a balcony or mini but with it being May I am sure the weather will be rainy and cold so we did an oceanview and saved a ton of money. My parents are going on this cruise and we will be surprising them with a bottle of wine in hand at their door when we arrive, cant wait to see the look on their faces, good thing they dont read cc. If anyone needs a hotel precruise the Pan Pacific or the Bayshore are fantastic and in May they shouldn't be too expensive. Try Priceline and bid on the area in which they are, do a 5 star and you will definately luck out with one of our cities best. Last November we sailed on the Caribbean Princess and had a great time so we are looking forward to the Golden Princess.

Welcome cherrypop! How fun surprising your parents, make sure you have the camera ready when they open the door!! I looked into the Pan Pacific but prices weren't so great for the 2 days pre-cruise so I went with the group rate Willysgrandma has for her group cruise. It's the Metropolitan and it looked like a very nice hotel.

Don't say rain and cold!! It's going to be sunny and warm!:D We cruised Alaska last August and had rain so I figure if we go in May it will be sunny. Wishful thinking I know!

Anybody got shore excursions booked yet? We want to do the zipline in Juneau and rented a car in Skagway to drive up to the Yukon. Ordered the Murrays Guide but haven't had time to download it yet. We did the van tour last year with Dyea Dave, it was okay but would rather do it ourselves this time. And Ketchikan and Victoria not sure yet. Fun planning it all.

Welcome! Wow, missing the inside passage would completely freak me out. I thought that's a sheltered area where the waters are always calm. We went in July and the weather was perfect (in 2002 anyway) so in my mind I see glassy water without a ripple nearby. I always thought the open ocean (west of Vancouver Island) gets really rough and can lead to lots of seasickness (which is why we booked this itiniary)...

Here is hoping we have lovely sunshine and calm seas!

Katherine

Carol, we booked the Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Watching in Juneau through the ship and The White Pass Railroad through Shore Trips. Looking at doing the Gardens in Victoria. Not sure about the rest of the ports.

Anybody got shore excursions booked yet? We want to do the zipline in Juneau and rented a car in Skagway to drive up to the Yukon. Ordered the Murrays Guide but haven't had time to download it yet. We did the van tour last year with Dyea Dave, it was okay but would rather do it ourselves this time. And Ketchikan and Victoria not sure yet. Fun planning it all.

If you are Canadian and want to rent a car in Skagway, remember you can not drive into Canada with a rental. We would love to do that as we have done the Yukno-WhitePass rail ride twice already. Going today to book Coachlines to the Cruise Terminal. Karen and my son Sean will be already in Vancouver staying at our others sons home in Coquitlam. I will meet them at the terminal with the bags.:)

Haven't figured out why a Canadian can't rent a car and drive into Canada?? Just doesn't make sense! :confused: Saw that last year and it's still a puzzle!

Willysgrandma, are you taking the train bothways or oneway train and oneway bus or van? Last year there were many people who just did oneways, they got on our van at the turnaround point. Think it might be more interesting to do train and van. It's all beautiful though!!

If we have time in Juneau after the zipline I'd like DH to see Mendenhall, I've seen it many years ago, he never has. It was impressive.

Not sure about Victoria, we've been many times, maybe the BC Museum, we keep saying we're going to go in and never do! Used to like to antique shop but seems like all the antique shops have gone away, darn it! Maybe Kyana knows where some are?? Anything new in Victoria to visit?

Antique shops still up past the auctions (lunds) on Fort Street. I am not sure if the Swifture Race is on that Week-end. Also depends when we dock and how much time you have. Have you visited Craigdaroch Castle which was built by the Coal Baron, Dunsmuir California was named after. He actually paid to have the town named after him. Also the gardens at Government House on Rockland are definitely worth a visit. We will have to get together onboard, I am sure there are many sights you have not visited. We will be in Fiesta 305.:)

Sadly we will be a week early for Swiftsure, the pre-race festivities are a site to be seen for us sailors.

My DW and I have booked the "Glacier Trek and Climb" excursion in Juneau with "Above and Beyond Alaska" A grueling seven mile hike to the glacier and a walk-a-bout on the ice. According to the guide, there are two more couples on the boat going with us...are you out there? Now I have to start getting into shape...arghhhh! I guess I have to shed a few pounds to get ready for the food trough anyway!

A 7 mile hike??? Are you crazy??? :eek: By the time you get to the top you won't be able to walk around!! LOL! How do you get down, you have to hike? No, that second couple wouldn't be us! We'll be plopped in the harness, riding on the cable, crashing into trees on the zipline! :)

Oh - the spirit of adventure.

Hi Everyone. My husband and I just recently booked this cruise for our 10th Anniversary. We are so excited since this is a trip of a lifetime for us. I feel like I should catch up to everyone else here so here's what we have so far.

We booked a cabin with a balcony. We will arrive in Seattle and take a train to Vancouver and stay there two nights before the cruise. (We are definitely taking suggestions on places to go and see and eat.) We still haven't booked excursions yet. We would like to go kayaking and possibly zip lining. (Is it better to go with the cruise excursions or to book these on our own?) Are there other excursions we should be looking at? We don't want to miss anything but we will only be doing 2 or 3 excursions. After the cruise we are staying in Seattle for 2 nights. Anything we should do or see there?

Thanks,

Karen

Suggest you buy a transit pass for the day $9. maybe less in you are seniors. That gets you on all buses (transit) Skytrain, Canada Line and Seabus.

The Seabus leaves by Canada Place (Cruise Ship Terminal) and takes you across to North Vancouver. You are right near Lonsdale Quay and if you like Italian go to East side Marios for a meal. Million Dollar view and lots of shops to brouse at the Quay as well. The concierge at your hotel probably has lots of ideas. Great Chinese food in China Town and again Italian the very first Spagetti Factory in Gastown. Walk the seawall in Stanley Park and walk down Robson (Robsonstrosse) for great shopping. Hope the above gives you some ideas.:)

A 7 mile hike??? Are you crazy??? :eek: By the time you get to the top you won't be able to walk around!! LOL! How do you get down, you have to hike? No, that second couple wouldn't be us! We'll be plopped in the harness, riding on the cable, crashing into trees on the zip line! :)

Oh - the spirit of adventure.

Some say I'm a little touched...The hike is only 3.5 miles each way so, if all goes well, I won't be crippled 'till I get back to the boat :) As far as getting down from the glacier, I hope slowly. ;)

I would love to zip line but I have a weird thing with heights, I climb sailboat masts for a living and wouldn't have a problem with the actual zip lines, but the rope bridges would put me in a come...Oh well, fears don't have to make sense. I'll bring back some glacier ice for you to put on all those tree bruises and scrapes, lol.

Welcome Karen! Sounds like you have a good handle on your travel plans. Two days pre and post cruise are great, gives you enough time to see lots and plan what to do next time around. Make sure to read through the posts on the "Ports of Call" for Alaska here on Cruise Critic, lots of good ideas and reviews of things to do. If you've never been to Vancouver you might try the Hop On/Hop Off bus, it takes you to most of the top attractions close to town and I think it also goes to Capilano Bridge and Grouse Mountain. It's a great town to just walk around too, unless it's raining which we refuse to believe it will!! Seattle has a Hop On/Hop Off also, plus the Duck Tour which some people like, we haven't tried one yet. You can get around in town pretty easily especially if you're staying downtown. Check out the Underground Tour in Seattle, we thought it was great. Of course Pikes Market. Lot's of good sightseeing in Seattle. If you like donuts don't miss Top Pot Donuts, loved it! There are so many great choices for food in Vancouver and Seattle wouldn't know where to start! Trip Advisor is always a good source of reviews. Kyana has some good recommendations. Guess too it depends on where you're staying in the city, what you'd be close to. In Seattle there are a couple of great restaurants right on the water by Pier 66, Elliotts I think is one, I forget the other one. Go to www.visitseattle.com, good visitors guide.

For shore excursions, we chose the zipline in Juneau because I've read it's one of the better ones with longer runs. Plus you zipline over an old mining camp and DH collects old mining equipment so that was a deciding factor! I think shore excursions in Alaska depend upon your budget, if you can afford it, do it! We've done the helicopter and float plane, both were wonderful. Would love to do the dog-sledding but for me it just seems too expensive, maybe someday. On whether to book with Princess or independent tour, if there is a time factor involved, like having to get back to the ship by sailaway, then we book with Princess. But if you have lots of port time it's usually less expensive to book an independent trip and you don't have to worry about getting back in time. The ship will leave without you! With Princess you can book excursions now and if you change your mind I think you have 24 hours prior to cancel them. Hope that helps a little. Any questions ask away. We're thinking about doing the zipline on Grouse Mountain in Vancouver, let us know if you want to join us! We're there for 2 nights also.

Yes, we are doing a noon tour through Shore Trips with the train going up and a van or bus coming back. I've heard the train both ways was boring, as you see the same things both ways.

Willysgrandma, are you taking the train bothways or oneway train and oneway bus or van? Last year there were many people who just did oneways, they got on our van at the turnaround point. Think it might be more interesting to do train and van. It's all beautiful though!!

I

Thanks for all the suggestions. We are really looking forward to the trip and I'm so glad this thread is so active. I've finally read through the entire thing.

I was wondering if anyone could clear up the different meals. We have the early seating. On past cruises we have just ended up eating at buffet but we want to take in the whole experience this time. People keep mentioning different restaurants and anytime dining. I think I might be missing something.....:rolleyes:

Archived