Insurance company keeps stalling

m steve

I purchased travel insurance from Travel Safe last year for our Feb 2010 cruise. Due to snow my Daughter and SIL were snowed in in DC and couldn't make the trip. She filed the claim the day she was supposed to leave and they emailed the form. At no time did they say exactly what they needed to settle the claim and we are still sending docs to them as they never seem to find the ones that were previously sent or think of new ones that they now need. I have never found such an incompetant company. They just don't seem to want to pay the claim. Shouldn't they list all the docs they need with the original form. I have spoken to them over 8 times and each time they tellme they only need 1 or 2 pieces and then when I follow up after faxing them, they claim they need others but can never say that they have everything the need or tell me what else they truly must have. I am sorry my TA chose them instead of HAL.

I am in the process of waiting for a check from Travel Guard for a canceled cruise too. My TA took care of all the initial paperwork and then Travel Guard sent me some forms to have the doctor fill out. He did and mailed it in and they claimed they never got it. SO, the second time we mailed it return receipt so someone had to sign for it. Now they have everything they need and said we'll get a check by next wait. Not holding my breath.

I used Travel Guard all the time. Last year was the first time we made a claim, as our luggage was delayed for 4 days plus a couple of items were stolen. It took about 6 weeks, but we were paid in full. Not as much as a cancelled cruise, but I was impressed with Travel Guard. Good luck

I just checked our claim on line and it says paid. While it doesn't say the amount, it would have to be in full less the insurance charge since they are paying it. DH said they would post the amount on line on Tuesday.

I am in the process of waiting for a check from Travel Guard for a canceled cruise too. My TA took care of all the initial paperwork and then Travel Guard sent me some forms to have the doctor fill out. He did and mailed it in and they claimed they never got it. SO, the second time we mailed it return receipt so someone had to sign for it. Now they have everything they need and said we'll get a check by next wait. Not holding my breath.

I am sorry you are having such a hard time having your claim resolved with Travel Guard. I submitted a claim to them last year for a trip cancelled due to illness, and had a full refund within three weeks. However, I took care of all the paperwork myself . It never occurred to me to get my TA involved. I even made an appointment with my physician specifically to review the needed forms, which were filled out in my presence, and I walked out with complete copies in hand. Having worked in a physician's office for many years, I know most are notoriously slow in filling out forms - and quite honestly, the clerks who do the paperwork find the requests confusing and frequently supply incomplete information, because they are unaware of what is really needed by a travel insurance company. If you don't get a resolution of your claim soon, I would start over, and fill out all the forms yourself-speak to someone at Travel Guard-they will email you all the forms you need, and when complete, send them all in together. Good Luck

The claim seems to be resolved. The TA did a great job. The trouble came when we sent the form the doctor filled out and they lost it. THen DH took the form to the doctor, waited to have it filled out again, and as I said above, we return receipt mailed it. Then we both called the claims adjuster and that's what seems to have worked. One of the workers at Travel Guard said they were swamped with people calling because of canceled plans due to the oil spill.

Glad it worked out. I have been so impressed with Travel Guard-have always been able to reach a live person 24/7 who was knowledgeable and responsive. Guess they are really swamped with ash and oil cancellations.

We planned a driving trip this spring, and were relieved we didn't have to deal with either, then had to cancel our planned week in Nashville due to the 500 year flood!! What's a traveler to do??

OP said his insurance company was Travel Safe' date=' not Travel Guard.[/quote']

If you had read the complete entry, (which I quoted) you would have discerned I was replying to mamaofami who was speaking of her experience with Travel Guard and not to the original poster.

If you had read the complete entry, (which I quoted) you would have discerned I was replying to mamaofami who was speaking of her experience with Travel Guard and not to the original poster.

Seems to me that 'mamaofami' mistook the OPs posting of Travel Safe for Travel Guard..and there doesn't seem to be any problem with them except for losing a form or not receiving it whereas Travel Safe appears to be stalling!! Of course thats not at all unusual for an insurance co.. :(

I purchased travel insurance from Travel Safe last year for our Feb 2010 cruise. Due to snow my Daughter and SIL were snowed in in DC and couldn't make the trip. She filed the claim the day she was supposed to leave and they emailed the form. At no time did they say exactly what they needed to settle the claim and we are still sending docs to them as they never seem to find the ones that were previously sent or think of new ones that they now need. I have never found such an incompetant company. They just don't seem to want to pay the claim. Shouldn't they list all the docs they need with the original form. I have spoken to them over 8 times and each time they tellme they only need 1 or 2 pieces and then when I follow up after faxing them, they claim they need others but can never say that they have everything the need or tell me what else they truly must have. I am sorry my TA chose them instead of HAL.

This company indicates it is a member of BBB online.

You can file a complaint on the net:

https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/getstarted.aspx

Good luck.

Mamaofami did not mistake the name of Travel Safe for Travel Guard. At the time I wrote the first post, I was still having trouble with Travel Guard with a cruise canceled on 2/26 which is three months ago. It happens, that after two phone calls yesterday, from both DH and myself, and insisting to be put through to the claims rep, it got resolved several hours later. Check still has not been received, but I'm sure now it will be sent as opposed to when I wrote the first entry and it was still stating on line that they hadn't received the second form from the doctor.

I don't understand the snippiness. It seems perfectly logical to me for mamaofami to post a similar problem, albeit with a different insurance company, on this thread.

Congrats, mamaofami, on a successful resolution to your problem. m steve, here's hoping yours gets resolved as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived