Gift for Cabin Steward

I would like to bring something with me as a token of appreciation to my cabin steward(in addition to tip of course). Any suggestions?

First I always leave a healthy tip and second I give them packages of nuts and other treats as I was told years ago that they love snacks that they can take back and share with their roommates. I love to take them Planters trail mix and a baseball cap so they have somehing to wear in port. If a female steward I give them a small item of jewelry such as pin that they can wear. At holiday times when I traveled on a cruise I always gave them holiday pins and or fun mardi gras beads.

But most of alll money is the best because they come from poor counties and the jobs they get on the cruise ships really are a blessing of opportunity for them to make good money to support their families back home.

Cincinnatigal

From what I have read, most people will say a bigger tip. They live in very tight quarters with not to much space for their stuff. I've heard about people buying international calling cards so they can call back home. But I think most would like more money because it goes much further for them. Hope this helps.

There was such a good discussion on this subject on the Oasis forum. A crew member responded saying there was no spare room whatsoever in their quarters. He said that almost every crew member had a cell phone with an international plan and that calling cards were no longer used. He said there was no room for teeshirts, pins, ballcaps, food, trinkets, pens, etc. and that they didn't need any of these items. Cash is always welcomed! Many support familities in their home countries and can really use the extra income. I've looked for the link and can't find it. (Crew member, if you're reading this, please would you respond as you worded it much better than I have.)

Because their living quarters are so small, they really only want money. They don't have room for lots of other things, and if everyone left them something, they would probably run out of living space within a month!

Just leave a nice thank you card and an extra tip. It will be appreciated.

I agree that cash is the best gift however another thing that you can do for them is to write a nice note stating how their service made your stay better, lisiting anything that they did that was over and above what you considered to be normal service. Leave this at the customer service desk for their supervisor/head of hotel operations. These things help them to get better assignments.

We liked having "comment cards" on Princess cruises that were used specifically to "high 5" crew members. We made a point of carrying a pen and paper to jot down names. Servers in the buffet always had big smiles ... this was true throughout the ship. We've had outstanding service on RCI but I do think comment cards take it up a notch. Princess has cards on the table in the main dining room and also buffet area. The crew seemed to treat it as a contest of who could get the most comments, joked back and forth ... it was fun. I do mention outstanding employees on the feedback form but miss the cards that are used specifically for that purpose.

Not sure about you, but I have never seen anything but cash in a tips jar. Yet to see hats, nuts, candy, pins, callingcards and the what have you's.

Next time I visit an "adult club" I think I may try to slip a bag of candy......oh never mind.

I would always say a bigger tip. I would like to give a gift but you never know if they are really going to like, at least with extra cash they can always get something they want, calling cards, food, snacks, things from port if they can leave the ship, whatever they want. I prefer knowing they were able to get themselves something nice.

Not sure about you, but I have never seen anything but cash in a tips jar. Yet to see hats, nuts, candy, pins, callingcards and the what have you's.

Next time I visit an "adult club" I think I may try to slip a bag of candy......oh never mind.

Exactly!

When we were in Cozumel, a lot of the crew got off to stock up on stuff at the Mega (their Walmart) there. They had bags of ramen noodles, cereal, all sorts of things. A box of chocolate won't buy them that, but an extra tip will. Our room steward said they had a staff event at Margaritaville, and a phone card wouldn't pay for food there.

1. Cash is king. That's what they're working for. That's what they will appreciate most.

2. Mention their name on your comment card at the end of the cruise and tell why they made your cruise more special. In the alternative, write a letter with the same information and leave it at Guest Services. Special mentions gets them better tables in the dining room, more privileges (time off, etc.) and faster career advancement.

1. Cash is king. That's what they're working for. That's what they will appreciate most.

2. Mention their name on your comment card at the end of the cruise and tell why they made your cruise more special. In the alternative, write a letter with the same information and leave it at Guest Services. Special mentions gets them better tables in the dining room, more privileges (time off, etc.) and faster career advancement.

Absolutely! Our cabin steward was fantastic and she was talking about how she hopes to be promoted to Allure. I wrote all I could about how wonderful she was and I hope everyone else who had her did too.

Unless you true purpose is to somehow make you feel good about yourself, the only two things you can give your room steward that will be really appreciated are 1) added cash and 2) a favorable comment on the guest satisfaction card. As others have already mentioned most of the geegaws, souvenirs, and things from home that some think are so welcome, end up taking up the limited storage space that the crewmembers have available to them or being discarded. Any things that you think they would enjoy, they can buy for themselves with the extra money you give them.

Unless you true purpose is to somehow make you feel good about yourself, the only two things you can give your room steward that will be really appreciated are 1) added cash and 2) a favorable comment on the guest satisfaction card. As others have already mentioned most of the geegaws, souvenirs, and things from home that some think are so welcome, end up taking up the limited storage space that the crewmembers have available to them or being discarded. Any things that you think they would enjoy, they can buy for themselves with the extra money you give them.

DITTO!! Well stated!!

I agree with those that say cash is King with the crew.

I do leave candy in my cabin for my room steward to help themselves as they please but I've been told about their living spaces as well and don't give them anything other than extra $$.

Well meaning pax probably still bring them trinkets and I'm sure the recipients thank them but they really can't use more "junk" to have to try and find storage space for.

Well meaning pax probably still bring them trinkets and I'm sure the recipients thank them but they really can't use more "junk" to have to try and find storage space for.

Right. Because any crew member--especially one who relies on tips-- would tell a passenger, "Gee, you shouldn't have. No, really, you shouldn't have. Just give me cash please." Of course they thank you profusely.

In addition to cash a mention on a comment card or note to the cruiseline is very appreciated.

We have just returned from Explorer and had such a nice bar server. I wanted to be sure that I wrote her name correctly, so asked her to be sure. I was a little taken aback when she said that people always ask and then never do.

I will write a nice note and already included her name on our survey card.

I take a disposable camera and take various pictures of "MY STAFF" working during the week- take the camera to the onboard camera shop to have them developed.

I put the individual photos of each member into a thank you card with my added cash- they can then send that photo to their family members.

Archived