Hotel 1898 vs. Majestic (have to book on Monday). Thanks!

I think I've read every review/thread on CC about both of these hotels. I'm probably worrying (over-worrying) about this decision and most likely will be happy with either property. Here are my details:

We (my wife, 19 YO son and 18 YO daughter and I) will be staying in Barcelona two nights prior to and one night following our 7 night RCCL cruise in July. I've narrowed our hotel choice to these two properties (at least I think/hope I have) and my TA is booking our rooms tomorrow (May 24th). I think the 1898 is our best best; my only concern about this location is my children staying right smack on the Ramblas. Never having been to Barcelona, I just don't know what to expect. Is it like Bourbon Street in New Orleans or 6th Street in Austin? Are we fine there and the reviews I'm reading from others about hoards, throngs, pick-pockets, etc. a bit overexaggerated?

In advance, I thank-you for your advice. I'll be happy to post back here upon our return for the benefit of future travelers.

I think I've read every review/thread on CC about both of these hotels. I'm probably worrying (over-worrying) about this decision and most likely will be happy with either property. Here are my details:

We (my wife, 19 YO son and 18 YO daughter and I) will be staying in Barcelona two nights prior to and one night following our 7 night RCCL cruise in July. I've narrowed our hotel choice to these two properties (at least I think/hope I have) and my TA is booking our rooms tomorrow (May 24th). I think the 1898 is our best best; my only concern about this location is my children staying right smack on the Ramblas. Never having been to Barcelona, I just don't know what to expect. Is it like Bourbon Street in New Orleans or 6th Street in Austin? Are we fine there and the reviews I'm reading from others about hoards, throngs, pick-pockets, etc. a bit overexaggerated?

In advance, I thank-you for your advice. I'll be happy to post back here upon our return for the benefit of future travelers.

We stayed right across the street from 1898 at the Hotel Montecarlo. Knowing 19 yos and 18yos they will probably love the excitment of the location.Even if you don't stay at the property, you will most likely be spending evenings at La Ramblas. The hotel is very safe, it is not as if the outside comes into the hotel. Your kids need to be made aware of the con-games and scams and pick pockets in the area, and not take lots of cash or passports with them out side of the hotel. At the Hotel Montecarlo, they don't allow you to take the room key out of the hotel, you leave it a the desk, and I would follow that precaution at the Hotel 1898 if it is not mandated.

Many thanks Gotto......

That's kind of what I was hoping (the kids will love the energy of being on La Ramblas). And, according to just about every review I've read, the hotel seems very well regarded. Hopefully I'll receive a couple more "thumbs-up" from other Barcelona visitors and I'll sleep well tomorrow night. Thanks again.

Mark

Barcelona has world class pickpockets. That is NOT the same thing as being unsafe. The chances of a tourist being mugged, attacked, raped, beat up, etc. is very low.

Bottom line: if you don't take precautions, the chance of your kids being pick-pocketed is greater than in a mid-sized U.S. city but the chance of their dealing with physical violence is much, much lower.

The location of the Hotel Majestic is something like 5th Avenue in Manhattan.

The location of the 1898 is more akin to Bourbon Street. My memory of 6th street Austin is quite hazy but I think it is quieter.

Las Ramblas is pickpocket/tourist central but my 30 something son loved it and had lots of fun there. I don't hang there much myself. Take all the anti pickpocket precautions already mentioned. You might also tell the younguns not to buy beer from the people selling cans on the street. It is illegal to drink outside. You will find drunken crowds of partiers. The police don't hassle folks for drinking outside unless they make a spectacle of themselves.

We have stayed at Hotel 1898 and loved it. There is a Starbucks next door.

With regards to pickpockets, I would add to the other comments that when in cafes and restaurants you need to keep your bags secure. We were advised that thieves will steal them and run out of the cafe.

However I do agree that we have always felt safe in Barcelona.

AB & Riff -

Many thanks. It's beginning to sound to me like we just need to be very careful (read: street smart) as far as the scammers/pickpockets and we should be fine. My conclusion is that the kids will much enjoy La Ramblas. So, I'm going to book 1898. I'll be sure to report back once we've finished our adventure. Thanks again.

Mark

Archived